Sign in to follow this  
Werwa

Bertin vs Russel

Why was Bertin seeded sixth at the 2003 BIG 10 tournament? Maybe my memory is failing me on this one, but I don't remember him losing to Johnston of Iowa or Maynard of Michigan State prior that year or the year previous. I think I recall that he did have a loss to Tirapelle during the season, but not the other two.

Why was Bertin seeded sixth at the 2003 BIG 10 tournament? Maybe my memory is failing me on this one, but I don't remember him losing to Johnston of Iowa or Maynard of Michigan State prior that year or the year previous. I think I recall that he did have a loss to Tirapelle during the season, but not the other two.

The one guy that Ryan could never solve was Luke Becker, who had excellent single leg defense.

Don't forget how rare it for someone to win 4 Big 10 titles. What was Russell, like the 11th to do so, out of ow many wrestling legends that have come thru the Big 10? Pretty impressive. With both wrestler having 2 national titles to their credit, I would take the guy with 4 Big 10 titles over the guy who has none. The only thing Bertin has over Russel is 4x AA'S vs 3x. Bertin doesn't have an undefeated season either. Also, Russell won 2 Big 10 titles without the benefit of a redshirt. I like Bertin a lot, but would give the nod to Russell for overall career.

Bertin had the benefit of redshirting his true freshman year, which definitely helped him to better NCAA tournament results. Other than that though, I'd give the edge to Russell for being better at the Big Ten tournament, having an undefeated season, and having the better overall regular season career indicated by his (3,1,1,1) seedings at NCAA's.

I refuse to get in a debate on this one.....2 awesome young men, 2 all-time greats, but I will say this, 4 Big Ten titles, 14-0 in overtimes, mostly vs. great competition, many quality wins over guys like Kennedy, Thorn, Marion, Boris, as well as the fact that Kellen I think ended up 3rd on the all-time win list in terms of win %, behind Dave Porter and Mark Churella does speak volumes. I mention this stuff, because it's all fresh in my mind.....again 2 all-time greats!!!! GO BLUE!

Both guys did it against some tough competition too. Russell's is noted above, but it's easy to forget how tough Bertin's weight class was as well, year after year.

Tirapelle, Johnson, Percival, Paulson, Gentry, Hendricks, Becker, Roller, Schneider. Lot of AAs and a few national champs in there.

I refuse to get in a debate on this one.....2 awesome young men, 2 all-time greats, but I will say this, 4 Big Ten titles, 14-0 in overtimes, mostly vs. great competition, many quality wins over guys like Kennedy, Thorn, Marion, Boris, as well as the fact that Kellen I think ended up 3rd on the all-time win list in terms of win %, behind Dave Porter and Mark Churella does speak volumes. I mention this stuff, because it's all fresh in my mind.....again 2 all-time greats!!!! GO BLUE!
You may not be debating it, but you're obviously making a strong point for Russell. As impressive as a 4 time Big Ten Champ is, I still take a guy who at the big show places 1st twice, 3rd once, and 6th vs a 1,1,7 and np. It's all about the NCAA's, imo.

And if you look at his competition that Fletcher mentions, it looks tougher.

4x Big 10 Champ compared to no time Big 10 champ easily defeats 4xaa versus aa especially considering Russell had no redhsirt .and still won the same amount of championships at NCAA.

According to his Michigan profile, Russel redshirted between his sophomore and junior years.

I meant to say an initial redshirt . Thanks for the correction. Also 4xAA Versus 3x AA . I still think the difficulty in winning 4 Big 10 Championships compared to NONE ..is much more relevant than 4xAA Versus 3x. Win % is also a real tangible in this comparison. Also not sure Bertin would have beaten a healthy Keaton Anderson one of those years . Either way two great competitors .

Bertin's lack of a big ten title may have been more of product of the level of competition at his weight class in the big ten at that time than anything. 4x AA with a 3rd and 2 firsts is amazing work and is the ultimate measuring stick. The big ten tournament is nice to win, but you peak for the NCAA's.