Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

World Championships Seeds Announced

What a complete joke of the seeds or rankings.. You have Cox and JB not seeding or the russian at 96kg...United wrestling rankings suck...

JB or returning olympic bronze medalist not ranked...Yashadini at 74kg...Who put these rankings together a 6th grader...JOKE

Worth also pointing out that:

Maroulis ans Regan also got 1 seeds on the women's side.

Greco didn't get a top 4.

It looks like Helen is a 2-seed at 53kg (not 58?) - does this mean she will be unseeded at 58? Or slotted in as a 2 or 3?

It's also wild to see Yoshida & Kawai as 4 seeds, and Icho & Tosaka as 3s.

What a complete joke of the seeds or rankings.. You have Cox and JB not seeding or the russian at 96kg...United wrestling rankings suck...

JB or returning olympic bronze medalist not ranked...Yashadini at 74kg...Who put these rankings together a 6th grader...JOKE

The criteria is laid out.  There is no bias.  If athletes want to be seeded, they need to show up to the events that get seeding points and win at them.

JB didn't get many points at the Olympics since he lost twice and placed 9th.

Cox earned 15 points at the Olympics but no points anywhere else.

Steiber, Green, Snyder (and the others on the list I wrote above) scored points in multiple events.

The seeding is fair, given the criteria

The criteria is laid out.  There is no bias.  If athletes want to be seeded, they need to show up to the events that get seeding points and win at them.

Steiber, Green, Snyder (and the others on the list I wrote above) scored points in multiple events.

It may be fair but that doesn't make it good. Head to head matches and tournament placings within roughly a year's timeframe don't count for much in this.

The Venezuelan guy at 86kg CEBALLOS FUENTES  is maddening. He placed 5th and the Olympics and lost to Cox in the Olympic qualifying tournament (or at least placed behind him). What kind of seeding system is this?

He placed one spot behind Cox at the Olympics and he was the Runner-up at the Pan American Games two months ago where Cox didn't place.

Edited by Pinnum

It may be fair but that doesn't make it good. Head to head matches and tournament placings within roughly a year's timeframe don't count for much in this.

The assumption with this system is that a country is sending their best to the Continental Championships. But the top guys at 74/86 this year were Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, and Cox but none of them wrestled at the Pan American Games.  Kyle Ruschell and Gabe Dean USA representatives. They also earned seeding points at the event.

Personally, I don't have much of an issue with it. It is better than committee (political) and this system actually helps the United States since the Pan American is not the toughest event (which is a reason our best don't always go, I suspect).O

Of course, I suppose you could make the argument that the points should be transferable...  That Gabe Dean's points should be transferred to Cox since they were won by USA and Olympic bids are won by a country and not by an athlete (which is why athletes can steal a bid at the trials that was earned by someone else).  But I think that is not really a good solution.  I wouldn't think that Kyle Snyder's points should be transferred to seeding another USA athlete if he declined to enter the world champinoships.

Edited by Pinnum

From what I'm seeing on twitter, they aren't going with the "next man up" approach.  So if one of the top4 seeds at a weight isn't there for worlds, the person who was 5th in points doesn't step in. 

Apparently at 57kg NONE of those guys will be there are that weight, so no seeds at all. 

Personally, I don't have much of an issue with it. It is better than committee (political) and this system actually helps the United States since the Pan American is not the toughest event (which is a reason our best don't always go, I suspect).

I agree, the biggest issue for this year is that by the time everything was finalized there simply was no way to get all our top guys to go where they needed to for seedings.  Moving foward we'll need to adjust our schedule to make sure Pan Ams is after our WTTs or at the very least US Open champs all go there.  It can't be a week or two later, too much travel or a cut for some of our best. 

If you are saying that based on the criteria they seeded him correctly, then I agree. 

That's really all we can use.  A year is actually a long time.  Who ever heard of J'Den Cox a year before the Olympics? 

I think there is good reason to use the Continental Championships in the seeding. We have seen many athletes burst onto the senior scene with big wins in their first big outings.  It makes sense to put weight into recent big events.

I agree, the biggest issue for this year is that by the time everything was finalized there simply was no way to get all our top guys to go where they needed to for seedings.  Moving foward we'll need to adjust our schedule to make sure Pan Ams is after our WTTs or at the very least US Open champs all go there.  It can't be a week or two later, too much travel or a cut for some of our best. 

Yeah, I think that is fair.  It was a new policy...

Let's hope for some improvement on that front.

I still don't know why they don't use the "next man up" for seeding, if one of the top4 seeds goes at a different weight or doesn't make the team, move everyone up a seed behind them.  Hopefully they adjust that part...

Yeah, I see in the documentation that it says they will release the top four seeds.  But really the points are public so it isn't like people wouldn't know who the 5th, 6th, etc are and it would take minimal effort (none, if they are calculated by computer) to give the additional athletes in seeding order.

I suspect it is one of those things where it is the first run at the adoption and it will be tweaked.

I'll take some initial attempt at seeding and separating  awesome competitors for at least a bit versus no seeding at all.  Sure, this initial seeding method has weaknesses, but my hope is that it leads to a more effective system in the future.

the seeding criteria is fine. probably could use some tweaks but it was clearly and plainly laid out before the competitions. if you wanted a seed, you had to wrestle in in the tournaments that got you points in the weight you want to get seeded at. 

you can argue for changes to the point values and timing of the tournaments etc but don't look at the results and call it a bad system without even knowing how the points are awarded. look at the process and come up with a better system. right now it's simple. you want the seed, go earn it. 

they came up with tie breaking criteria a little late but at least it's there now and looks fine.

my problem is that guys outside the top 4 don't move up if guys in the top 4 don't wrestle, either at worlds or at that weight. that is disincentives participation if 3 guys moving weights or sitting out can render the whole process moot. it's a super easy fix too.

Your idiot.....

I knew when they announced there would be seeds, once they came out this thread, with these type of comments, would occur. I swear the majority of our population today can't be happy without something to sit in their couch and complain about, call stupid, and act like they know so much better.