• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'm curious who it is that decides to send such a big contingent every year to the Spanish GP.  Does anybody know whether it is the USAW administration, the national team coaches, the RTC coaches, or the athletes?  It seems ridiculous to do this a month out from the world championships.  

Maybe this is the best way to train, to not actually face difficult competition, but it goes against everything I have ever thought about preparation.  I guess the reasoning could be that you wouldn't want a difficult competition within a month due to the potential for injury?

Edited by Billyhoyle, 18 July 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#2 Jasonmitchell32

Jasonmitchell32

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

Do you know where to see the results? I'm too lazy to google search and the UWW site is useless most times. Sorry.

Edit: found them at the USA Wrestling site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Jasonmitchell32, 15 July 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#3 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Great question @Billyhoyle. I just figured the decision was made to send the A-Team to the Spanish GP as a tune-up for Worlds since it is right around the corner.  But it would be nice to see the team get in more international competition - I guess there hasn't been much time since WTT and Worlds are so close together this year. 

#4 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Was this tournament scratch weight?

#5 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

2 kg allowance for all styles.

#6 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Well, my thought is that this tourney was probably not a tourney that Kyle needed to go to. I think I would've sent him to the Aliev, or maybe Poland, and likewise for Logiebear. As far as some of our ther guys, like Gilman, Zain Train, Gwiz, and maybe even Burroughs, I think this makes perfect sense. They get to have live matches with foreign opponents with low risk of being one and done. They also can work on some of their offense and defense, and get a confidence booster. Also for the new guys they get a feel of what it'll be like next month when they do this for real. Now I know your thinking okay, I get it Gilman, Zain Train and Gwiz, are new to the World Team, but why JB? Well in his case, I think it's really just about getting his timing dialed in. And yeah, maybe a little confidence boost as well. But then again he might've been just as well off going to the same tourneys I would've sent Kyle and Logan to. As far as James Green goes, he looked really good, ( as all our wrestlers did ), so I don't know, perhaps he too should've went to the tougher tourneys as well. Anyway I hope all our wrestlers have a greatest tournament of their lives next month, the then we can all talk about what a brilliant move this was to send our team to the Spanish Grand Prix. P.S. Good luck to our ladies competing tomorrow.
  • pamela likes this

#7 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

Interesting to look back at 2014 and see that Aaron Pico was the only entry for USA. He lost to Chamizo 4-2 in the finals. Then the next year USA sends a varsity squad and wins the team title.

Today the varsity wins another team title. Not the toughest tournament, but still, 7 for 7 gold is a nice, solid job.   

#8 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

Timing of the tournament is optimal, but the competition itself is not, although it is fine for this timeframe.  You don't want a meatgrinder at this time, but would have been nice to see more Euros, Turks, Azeris, Russians in the mix (their #3s and 4s).  Six months before a major championship, really tough tourney needed.  Three or four months before, tough tourney.  Two months before, light tune-up.  My issue is that guys like Zain or Gilman have not felt the type of resistance they will meet in Paris--the situational complications of folkstyle and its obligations.

• MikePorcelli, pamela and Jasonmitchell32 like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#9 Jasonmitchell32

Jasonmitchell32

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:11 AM

Agree 100% Coach_J

#10 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

I think they just wanted to get in some work while staying on a schedule resembling Paris Worlds schedule. The whole travel east thru 5 hours of time change, the flight and hotels, then wrestle thing. 

• Jasonmitchell32 likes this

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#11 newyorkwrestler

newyorkwrestler

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:19 AM

Married is cheap and easy that's why

#12 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:29 AM

Do you know where to see the results? I'm too lazy to google search and the UWW site is useless most times. Sorry.

Edit: found them at the USA Wrestling site

How does Tapatalk Pro compare to Tapatalk Amateur?

#13 RetiredPoster

RetiredPoster

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

I'm curious who it is that decides to send such a big contingent every year to the Spanish GP.  Does anybody know whether it is the USAW administration, the national team coaches, the RTC coaches, or the athletes?  It seems ridiculous to do this a month out from the world championships, competing in what essentially is a glorified vacation to Madrid.  

Maybe this is the best way to train, to not actually face difficult competition, but it goes against everything I have ever thought about preparation.  I guess the reasoning could be that you wouldn't want a difficult competition within a month due to the potential for injury?

A month out from the World Championships, would you really want to send our WC team to one of the tougher tournaments on UWW's calendar?   Spain makes perfect sense.  

#14 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:46 AM

A month out from the World Championships, would you really want to send our WC team to one of the tougher tournaments on UWW's calendar?   Spain makes perfect sense.  

I guess you're right about not wanting a grind a month out due to the injury risk, but I'm more curious about the entire season.  It seems that many of our top guys avoid the elite open tournaments.  I'm not sure if it is their choice or USAW scheduling the Madrid trip in July instead of tougher competitions earlier in the season.  It is a bit off that the two biggest international events that the U.S. attends are the Spanish GP and Paris international.  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 18 July 2017 - 05:48 AM.

• RetiredPoster likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users