Sign in to follow this  
akaoni

Nagoya Sumo Tournament-Hakuho

We're at the mid point of the Nagoya Sumo Tournament and Hakuho is likely to break the all time win record this tournament beating former Ozeki Kaio's' mark of 1047.  Hakuho already holds the record for most Grant Tournament wins at 38 and perfect 15-0 (zenshou-yushou) tournaments at 13.  He's arguably the greatest Grand Champion (Yokozuna) in sumo history.  The only argument against his greatness could be potentially lack of quality competition at times in his career.  

He's perfect this tournament and faces the entertaining up-and-comer Ura tomorrow.  Baring injury he'll almost certainly make history in the coming week.  

I think most of what Hakuho does is legal, if a bit dirty.  He's well know for his forearm or slap to the face at the "tachai" initial charge, however he also steps aside in a "henka" maneuver more frequently than most think a Yokozuna should.  I think that many traditionalists view Hakuho's tactics as beneath a Yokozuna, however it seems to me that he's ultimately all about winning.  Love or hate him, I don't think you can argue his greatness.  

The more I watch sumo, the more I think its format could work for freestyle wrestling. It's very fan-friendly and lends itself well to story lines. Weigh-ins are an issue for freestyle that need to be sorted out (maybe an allowance after the first day solves this, especially with the 2018 weigh-in rules). I clicked on the link with the idea of watching 30 seconds, watched the whole 20+ minute clip, then went to the Youtube page of the guy covering the event and watched every single clip and am now following the guy on Youtube.