• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:00 AM

I say $400,000 plus bonuses. He has the sports team with the best record at Penn State right now. Looking good and getting good publicity. They would be stupid to let him get away.

#2 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,672 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:02 AM

Come on, he's not going anywhere.  There isn't a better job, plus that line up is potentially poised to make history.  It's an interesting exercise in negotiating leverage, though.

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

#3 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:20 AM

I say $400,000 plus bonuses. He has the sports team with the best record at Penn State right now. Looking good and getting good publicity. They would be stupid to let him get away.

What makes you say $400,000? 

$400,000 would put him on par with David Gray, Senior Vice President of Finance at Penn State and mean that Cael was one of the highest paid people at Penn State including all the doctors at the Medical Center.

It also would make him the second highest paid employee in the Athletic Department (behind football head coach James Franklin), according to PennLive.

Twitter: @Pinnum

#4 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

What makes you say $400,000? 

$400,000 would put him on par with David Gray, Senior Vice President of Finance at Penn State and mean that Cael was one of the highest paid people at Penn State including all the doctors at the Medical Center.

It also would make him the second highest paid employee in the Athletic Department (behind football head coach James Franklin), according to PennLive.

Its not uncommon top level coaches get paid more than doctors.. kinda shows where our society's priorities are right?

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 17 July 2017 - 05:28 AM.

#5 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:45 AM

Its not uncommon top level coaches get paid more than doctors.. kinda shows where our society's priorities are right?

One could argue there's nothing really wrong with that as priorities go. One could argue that coaches who get paid that much not only win but also mold the minds of characters of our future leaders in a variety of fields, as much as anyone. One could argue that doctors while treating patients are also contributing to the major racket that is health insurance and pharmaceuticals.

How valuable is the major positive impact these guys have on kids lives, and by extension, our future?
  • BigTenFanboy and cauliflowerear like this

#6 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

How valuable is the major positive impact these guys have on kids lives, and by extension, our future?

I dunno... Ask Andrew Long?

• cjc007 likes this

#7 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:07 AM

One could argue there's nothing really wrong with that as priorities go. One could argue that coaches who get paid that much not only win but also mold the minds of characters of our future leaders in a variety of fields, as much as anyone. One could argue that doctors while treating patients are also contributing to the major racket that is health insurance and pharmaceuticals.

Very true. Just goes to show things aren't as clear cut as things may seem.

Just goes to show there are crappy people in all industries.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 17 July 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#8 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

Are you saying that Cael's influence is what inspired Andrew Long to behave the way he did?

#9 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

What happens if you judge those doctors and pay them by the worst mistake of their career?  

• cjc007 likes this

#10 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

He is not going anywhere.  Lets debate his salary after he signs.

#11 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

I still say, offer him a pay cut.  It is 100% arguable that Cael has drastically increased his other supplemental incomes through endorsements, clinics and autographs and camps,

PSU enabled him the chance to have mind blowing success and to earn more than he ever dreamed if he stayed at ISU.

Plus the fact he isn't going to leave....ever.

#12 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,672 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

I still say, offer him a pay cut.  It is 100% arguable that Cael has drastically increased his other supplemental incomes through endorsements, clinics and autographs and camps,

PSU enabled him the chance to have mind blowing success and to earn more than he ever dreamed if he stayed at ISU.

Plus the fact he isn't going to leave....ever.

That would be a ballsy negotiation move, but I can't see it.  The PR would be terrible.

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

#13 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

Top level football coaches, sure.  The Med Center has annual revenue of about $2BN, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's leadership and top doctors are worth a fair bit more than Cael.  Hard to put a price tag on that gleaming bald head and immaculate chin, though.  

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#14 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

I would put Cael and Russ Rose on equal footing.  I don't know what Russ makes to lead the Penn State women's Volleyball team but I think the two programs have a similar stature and they have similar attendance figures.

Twitter: @Pinnum

#15 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Very true. Just goes to show things aren't as clear cut as things may seem.
Just goes to show there are crappy people in all industries.

But a lot of the good ones too. Ying/Yang
  • BigTenFanboy likes this

#16 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Really, you want to head down that path. Didn't a certain Cornell wrestler assault a Lehigh wrestler with an international knee to the head knocking him out of the post season with a serious concussion. Should we judge Rob Koll by that?

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 17 July 2017 - 08:47 AM.

A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#17 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

we've gotten ourselves into an interesting predicament with d1 coaches making more and more money lately.

lets say cody s, cunningham and varner make roughly 300k between them (pretty realistic IMO as the FRL guys have alluded to the assistant salaries being north of 6 figures) and then you throw cael's 400k + bonus on top of that.

how do you justify 700k in annual salary to an athletic program that is losing money?

now don't get me wrong, I'm all for coaches and assistant coaches getting paid, but at what point do the administrators start saying "no more raises until your program can turn a profit"?

#18 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,411 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

Cael retires early and someone else continues the program within budget?

#19 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

we've gotten ourselves into an interesting predicament with d1 coaches making more and more money lately.

lets say cody s, cunningham and varner make roughly 300k between them (pretty realistic IMO as the FRL guys have alluded to the assistant salaries being north of 6 figures) and then you throw cael's 400k + bonus on top of that.

how do you justify 700k in annual salary to an athletic program that is losing money?

now don't get me wrong, I'm all for coaches and assistant coaches getting paid, but at what point do the administrators start saying "no more raises until your program can turn a profit"?

At the point it becomes a professional sport and those administrators are franchise owners/management?

#20 ResiliteMarine

ResiliteMarine
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

Salary $175,000. No bonuses.

Edited by ResiliteMarine, 17 July 2017 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users