Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

How Big? Cael's contract

Where? Name another school where he can field half his team with kids who live within 2 hours of the school who also happen to be #1 in the country coming out of HS?

Also name another premier state school who has no other likewise equivalent in state that would cause graduates of other programs to donate to? You do realize this is happening at PSU don't you?

Don't let Tbars propaganda fool you. PSU is the perfect storm and there are several other staffs nationally who would be having the same success.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not saying he is going to any of these places, but:

Ohio State

Rutgers

Illinois

UPenn (although not a state school and of course would have tougher admission requirements)

would all come pretty close IMO.

I also wouldn't be surprised, and wouldn't blame him if he left if some out of nowhere school gave him a huge amount of money, where in addition to getting more money he could prove that he doesn't need to be in PA to create a dynasty.

Not saying he is going to any of these places, but:

Ohio State

Rutgers

Illinois

UPenn (although not a state school and of course would have tougher admission requirements)

would all come pretty close IMO.

I also wouldn't be surprised, and wouldn't blame him if he left if some out of nowhere school gave him a huge amount of money, where in addition to getting more money he could prove that he doesn't need to be in PA to create a dynasty.

Goodale set him up pretty well.  If he brings Suriano, RBY, Teasdale and a pair of Nevilles over he is holding a full house.  

I would put Cael and Russ Rose on equal footing.  I don't know what Russ makes to lead the Penn State women's Volleyball team but I think the two programs have a similar stature and they have similar attendance figures.

per match volleyball draws 1/3 of wrestling. total revenue from ticket sales is also 1/3 wvb/wr. volleyball operates losing a million dollars more than wrestling. financially they aren't on the same footing.

Edited by sockobuw

If that were the case, (several national staffs would

have the same success)....why is it that prior to ten years ago Penn State wasn't even in the national title discussion in just about any year? Let alone odds on favorites every year? Did Penn State just start a Big Ten wrestling program ten years ago? Did Pennsylvania just become a hotbed of high school wrestling ten years ago? Were coaches never interested in a direct Pennsylvania recruiting line ever before??

I'm sorry but I think that argument has no basis what so ever. There is a lot of merit to this "perfect storm" that everyone talks about. But part of that, a big part, is......the coach in question. Proof is in the pudding.

Please...didn't Penn State finish third in 2008 (Troy Sunderland's next-to-last season as head coach of the Nittany Lions)?

per match volleyball draws 1/3 of wrestling. total revenue from ticket sales is also 1/3 wvb/wr. volleyball operates losing a million dollars more than wrestling. financially they aren't on the same footing.

Can you post sources? 

Yeah but who tf wants to go to those places when you've got cold beer, sandy beaches and hot babes in the middle of the state?lol not to mention my post was a joke and all in good fun lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good point. Where I came from wrestling season was cold, so there really wasn't anything to do outside anyway (except farm work, ugh). If it were warm in winters maybe I'd have rather been out doing other stuff rather than wrestling with a bunch of stinky jerks in a hot, stinking wrestling room. Wrestling in a place like Los Angeles or El Paso takes dedication :D

That is interesting considering I just sold one of my rental properties and everything I signed was 8.5 x 14. But, carry on.

I work in the legal and real estate industry (historically the 2 main industries to use 8.5 x 14) and I've closed over 25 commercial development deals the past 2 years and drafted/negotiated numerous leases and contracts and not once have I seen an 8.5 x 14 piece of paper.

You must be selling properties in an area stuck in the 80's.... was there carbon paper attached to each sheet too??

But carry on.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I work in the legal and real estate industry (historically the 2 main industries to use 8.5 x 14) and I've closed over 25 commercial development deals the past 2 years and drafted/negotiated numerous leases and contracts and not once have I seen an 8.5 x 14 piece of paper.

You must be selling properties in an area stuck in the 80's.... was there carbon paper attached to each sheet too??

But carry on.....

Very happy for you.  You are one really cool dude.  That doesn't change the fact that it happened.  Would you like to contact my Realtor and tell them how much cooler you are and to get with the times?  How about the Title Co. as well?

Hell, even his Excluse Right to Sale Contract was on 8.5 x 14 and REMAX isn't exactly a small or out of date company.

Edited by MSU158

Very happy for you. You are one really cool dude. That doesn't change the fact that it happened. Would you like to contact my Realtor and tell them how much cooler you are and to get with the times? How about the Title Co. as well?

You are one argumentative dude. Do you ever post something that isn't an argument?

I was clearly wrong in my statement (that was obviously to be taken as literal fact and not sarcasm to get a few chuckles) that NO ONE uses 8.5 x 14 anymore - clearly SOMEONE in the world does, and we found him.

Life is too short to be so angry all the time.

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

It's hard to understand how anyone could be upset with Cael or even lose respect for him if he were to pursue the compensation he has earned, whether at PSU or elsewhere. The alleged $175k of total income is an absolute joke for a guy who is, dare I say it, very much looking like the second coming of Gable. Cael going after more money isn't something to somehow frown upon, it's totally expected and the right thing for him to do. PSU has more than benefited from his contributions and is owed zero if they can't give Cael what he rightfully deserves.

Those comparing Cael to other PSU employees are missing the point. The market for coaching talent is much bigger than PSU. Cael's alma mater nearly doubled the nominal compensation that he gets for Dresser, who is a great coach but not exactly Cael. That "comp" is the right starting point for Cael to begin estimating his market value, not what his PSU peers make. I'm not suggesting PSU should stretch beyond their means to pay Cael. That's an administrative decision I have no insight on or even pretend to know about. But by the same token, Cael shouldn't contain his professional ambitions to one school. It makes no sense.

I do agree he's probably not going anywhere because he has it too good where he is. But I would not begrudge him at all and would even applaud him for going elsewhere if he didn't get what he's worth at PSU. He has earned a lot more.

Reading between the lines of interviews he's done on the topic, I think the point of contention/negotiating point is his staff's compensation, not his own. 

You are one argumentative dude. Do you ever post something that isn't an argument?

I was clearly wrong in my statement (that was obviously to be taken as literal fact and not sarcasm to get a few chuckles) that NO ONE uses 8.5 x 14 anymore - clearly SOMEONE in the world does, and we found him.

Life is too short to be so angry all the time.

I wasn't angry and still am not. Your comment came off as super condescending.  Your 2nd, even more so.  If that wasn't your intent I will gladly apologize.  

Also, I am pretty sure my post was to happily mess with SHP as he intentionally makes a point to be snarky.  Yours was too short to be taken as anything other than a correction.  Again, my intent wasn't to argue, but I admittedly have a distinct inability to ignore what I perceive as condescension.  

Penn State women's volleyball played in front of 61,000 fans at home this past season. Wrestling competed in front of 55,000.

Women's volleyball competed on TV much more often (including on ESPNU and often on ESPN2 where they are a featured team not one of many teams).

I still think the two programs, wrestling and women's volleyball are peers, and the coaching compensation is likely to be similar.

IYours was too short to be taken as anything other than a correction.

That's a new one..... too short to be taken as anything other than a correction?!?!? That's funny stuff, b/c I clearly know what everyone in the world uses.....

So what's the cutoff in word count to be taken as a joke or sarcasm?

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

That's a new one..... too short to be taken as anything other than a correction?!?!? That's funny stuff, b/c I clearly know what everyone in the world uses.....

Lol, and I am the argumentitive one?  I pretty much extended the olive branch of peace and you continued the condescension.  Sweet!  Have a nice day.

Lol, and I am the argumentitive one? I pretty much extended the olive branch of peace and you continued the condescension. Sweet! Have a nice day.

Dude - you've got thin skin if you think this was condescending.

Your post was too long to be an extension of the olive branch.....

(Notice the stupid smiley guys - I'm extending the olive branch as well, and it's on an 8.5 x 14 piece of paper!)

Reading between the lines of interviews he's done on the topic, I think the point of contention/negotiating point is his staff's compensation, not his own.

To a lesser degree, I feel the same about his coaches. There's a free market for them too and I wouldn't begrudge any of them for leaving for greener financial pastures.

Dude - you've got thin skin if you think this was condescending.

Your post was too long to be an extension of the olive branch.....

(Notice the stupid smiley guys - I'm extending the olive branch as well, and it's on an 8.5 x 14 piece of paper!)

I will gladly cease and desist.  However, I would really like you to brush up on the definition of condescension directly from Merriam-Webster: patronizing attitude or behavior scoffing condescension by the “we know better than you” people.

I would say that LITERALLY defines what you have done in this post.  But, I am not angry and will bow down to your superior knowledge on this subject.  I am ashamed that my realtor is using the equivalent of carbon paper and have forwarded our conversation to show him how behind in the times he and his company are!  Take care!  ;)  :)

Edited by MSU158

Regardless of form factor (I've seen both recently), can we agree pdf and electronic signature is the way to go?

73a9f1ca4d2d10a4b3153f992bcb3ca7.jpg

Agreed.  You are the great Mediator of this board.  I don't care what tbar and Tigsy say, you are good people!

Penn State women's volleyball played in front of 61,000 fans at home this past season. Wrestling competed in front of 55,000.

Women's volleyball competed on TV much more often (including on ESPNU and often on ESPN2 where they are a featured team not one of many teams).

I still think the two programs, wrestling and women's volleyball are peers, and the coaching compensation is likely to be similar.

According to this, the women's volleyball coach at Nebraska makes $600K

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/cook-got-a-big-raise-and-nu-a-commitment-that/article_2da8a83d-baff-558d-85af-a4eaea0d611e.html