Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

How Big? Cael's contract

I bet that's a highly profitable sport for the Huskers, lol. Do they ever have over 100 people in the crowd at volleyball games up there?

I bet that's a highly profitable sport for the Huskers, lol. Do they ever have over 100 people in the crowd at volleyball games up there?

I have seen what looks like a sold out venue when PSU is at Nebby for Women's Volleyball. I like that sport because those girls are in amazing shape. 

That's a good point. Where I came from wrestling season was cold, so there really wasn't anything to do outside anyway (except farm work, ugh). If it were warm in winters maybe I'd have rather been out doing other stuff rather than wrestling with a bunch of stinky jerks in a hot, stinking wrestling room. Wrestling in a place like Los Angeles or El Paso takes dedication :D

Exactly. I'm from Indiana where it's either wrestling or basketball (primarily basketball) cause not even workers wanted to be outside in the winter lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen what looks like a sold out venue when PSU is at Nebby for Women's Volleyball. I like that sport because those girls are in amazing shape.

Yeah I like women's volleyball cause of the shape those girls are in too...lol

Penn State women's volleyball played in front of 61,000 fans at home this past season. Wrestling competed in front of 55,000.

Women's volleyball competed on TV much more often (including on ESPNU and often on ESPN2 where they are a featured team not one of many teams).

I still think the two programs, wrestling and women's volleyball are peers, and the coaching compensation is likely to be similar.

success is similar. the sports are hard to compare in attendance because of the number of competitions. financially both programs have more than doubled their reported expenses since 2011. wrestling's revenue outpaces the w volleyball team by 700,000 and the net loss difference is more than a million dollars in wrestling's favor. hard to justify equal compensation.

I am sure Nebraska volleyball fans say the same thing about Penn State wrestling.

Nebraska Volleyball has a waiting list for season tickets. http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/husker-volleyball-season-ticket-waiting-list-opens/article_b4191cb4-5a0c-5d92-8476-d6badd8b333a.html

Nebraska volleyball played in front of 155,000 fans at home last year.

How do those figures compare to Penn State sports home attendance?

Penn State FOOTBALL 700,000

Penn State Men's BASKETBALL 112,000

Penn State WRESTLING 55,000

Edited by Pinnum

The thing that stands out to me is the number of wrestlers on scholarship. It use to be that Penn State wasn't splitting up scholarships and would give large scholarships (full rides or nearly full_ to just a few athletes. But now they have 32 athletes on scholarship. That is a ton.

The thing that stands out to me is the number of wrestlers on scholarship. It use to be that Penn State wasn't splitting up scholarships and would give large scholarships (full rides or nearly full_ to just a few athletes. But now they have 32 athletes on scholarship. That is a ton.

I am skeptical of that table.   For example, it shows 128 football players receiving athletic aid.  We all know that there are 85 scholarships available in football and they are all 100%.  Also, PSU is not even using their allotment - only 9.66 of 9.99.  You'd think they would throw some deserving  5th year senior 33% of a bone!

Edited by Plasmodium

where did you see that? their entire roster is 32.....

i wonder who they paid $5,000 to wrestle them...???

I am skeptical of that table.   For example, it shows 128 football players receiving athletic aid.  We all know that there are 85 scholarships available in football and they are all 100%.  Also, PSU is not even using their allotment - only 9.66 of 9.99.  You'd think they would throw some deserving  5th year senior 33% of a bone!

Table 1 - - - Athletics Participation.
A participant is a student-athlete who, as of the day of a varsity team's first scheduled contest in the traditional
season: (a) is listed as a team member;
(b) practices with the varsity team and receives coaching from one or more varsity coaches; or © receives
athletically-related student aid.

read the entire heading

You're right. Headcount sports can't be over the maximum. It looks like it was filled out wrong and that is the roster size.

As for not reaching the maximum, it is common. You keep money available for a late transfer or you made someone an offer and they didn't sign or did sign and failed to show up to campus or they did show up to campus but quit early on and they didn't know that they could still have their scholarship pulled.

A lot of things happen. Most fully funded programs give out slightly less than the full amount.

Table 1 - - - Athletics Participation.

A participant is a student-athlete who, as of the day of a varsity team's first scheduled contest in the traditional

season: (a) is listed as a team member;

(b) practices with the varsity team and receives coaching from one or more varsity coaches; or © receives

athletically-related student aid.

read the entire heading

We are talking about page 28.

Enter the actual number of student athletes receiving athletic aid by sport (whole numbers) in the fourth column

Edited by Pinnum

We are talking about page 28.

Enter the actual number of student athletes receiving athletic aid by sport (whole numbers) in the fourth column

yeah they have roster spot listed as receiving aid. pretty embarrassing that they have that mistake...

Women's volleyball @ Nebraska is a revenue sport, or so I've heard.  

According to the link I posted, their profit was $450K in 2014-2015.  I assume that is after the coach's salary, which increased by $140K from what it was previously.

The article lists 4 other volleyball coaches above $175K, not including PSU's coach who they say is "one of the highest paid coaches in the country."  To me that sounds like PSU's volleyball coach makes more than Cael.

To me that sounds like PSU's volleyball coach makes more than Cael.

According to the link I posted, their profit was $450K in 2014-2015.  I assume that is after the coach's salary, which increased by $140K from what it was previously.

The article lists 4 other volleyball coaches above $175K, not including PSU's coach who they say is "one of the highest paid coaches in the country."  To me that sounds like PSU's volleyball coach makes more than Cael.

Russ Rose has six NCAA titles in the last 10 years. 

Cael was hired in the summer of 2009.  Russ was coming off winning the 2007 and 2008 NCAA titles when Cael was hired.  He has been a staple of Penn State for 36 years and is well regarded in the community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_women%27s_volleyball#Program_record_and_history

I don't think it is unreasonable that he was making more than Cael was prior.  I actually meant it as a compliment to Cael when I said he should probably be on par with Rose now...

OT a little bit, but why (other than travel costs) would they not bring others and let them wrestle "JV" matches either before or after a dual?  Completely understand when flying, but when busing to a site, all it would take is a couple extra meals.  let those 22 extra wrestlers get some mat time.

OT a little bit, but why (other than travel costs) would they not bring others and let them wrestle "JV" matches either before or after a dual?  Completely understand when flying, but when busing to a site, all it would take is a couple extra meals.  let those 22 extra wrestlers get some mat time.

Redshirting. Most programs will do ANYTHING to preserve a redshirt unless it means potentially half a point in march.

Yeah but who tf wants to go to those places when you've got cold beer, sandy beaches and hot babes in the middle of the state?lol not to mention my post was a joke and all in good fun lol

You apparently have not bee spring/summer skiing at Mammoth. Hot babes in bikini's. Lots of sunshine. Then the hot tubs after the slopes.

I am sure Nebraska volleyball fans say the same thing about Penn State wrestling.

Nebraska Volleyball has a waiting list for season tickets. http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/husker-volleyball-season-ticket-waiting-list-opens/article_b4191cb4-5a0c-5d92-8476-d6badd8b333a.html

Nebraska volleyball played in front of 155,000 fans at home last year.

How do those figures compare to Penn State sports home attendance?

Penn State FOOTBALL 700,000

Penn State Men's BASKETBALL 112,000

Penn State WRESTLING 55,000

Wow, that bball attendance is just pathetic for 21 home games. That's a little over 5,000 per game! PSU's wrestling program had 8 home duals, so the wrestling team was averaging almost 7,000 per dual.

Wow, that bball attendance is just pathetic for 21 home games. That's a little over 5,000 per game! PSU's wrestling program had 8 home duals, so the wrestling team was averaging almost 7,000 per dual.

Men's basketball averaged 7k at Penn State. They only played 16 home games.