Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Eric Guerrero leaving Ok St

I did not see this coming... I thought he was being groomed as Smiths replacement when he decides to retire. I would've thought that would be his fastest path to head coach of a major program if that's his goal. But if they gave him enough money, head club coach is a probably a pretty good gig with a lot less headaches

I did not see this coming... I thought he was being groomed as Smiths replacement when he decides to retire. I would've thought that would be his fastest path to head coach of a major program if that's his goal. But if they gave him enough money, head club coach is a probably a pretty good gig with a lot less headaches

He still can take Ok State over later or another big program. At least now he will have more on his resume to show the AD. Edited by MadMardigain

He's been nothing but class since he landed in Stillwater.  He beat my kid in the semis at Vegas.  I think we had defeated 7 state champions to get to that match...he t-falled us in no time...just a machine.

I don't know how long John wants to coach, but he's clearly still one of the greatest coaches, and recruiters in the country.

He made me think of Joe Gonzales, just an artist on his feet.  No matter how we reacted, it fell perfectly into his attack.  I also watched him in Madison Square Garden.  He is someone I will always pull for.  Best of luck Mr G!

Edited by Peso

you'd think this puts OU in a position to land elite, in-state recruits. Can't remember the last one.

If they can recruit in-state and Roselli maintains his Ohio ties.... Look out.

Last elite recruit out of Oklahoma, not counting Fix, was probably Joe Smith.

Here is an ignorant question - Where do they get 150-200k to pay a coach?

The same place the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club, Hawkeye Club , Gopher Wrestling Club, and the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club get their money: Donors.

The biggest difference between the top wrestling programs and the other programs is that when the top programs fundraise it is for their clubs and when the other programs fundraise it is to keep the lights on for their college team.

Oklahoma top 100 recruits the past 10 years:

2017:#1 Fix(OkState), #15 Gfeller(OkState), #22 Litterell(Oklahoma), #51 Filippo(Central OK), #82 Rosen(Campbell)

2016:#58 Sheets(OkState), #100 Bridges(Wyoming)

2015:#9 Brock(OkState), #16 Smith(OkState), #23 Moore(West Virginia), #31 Simmons(ISU), #42 Lewallen(OkState), [#57 Jeffries+#63 Luca+ #75 Moody(Oklahoma)}

2014:#13 Rogers(OkState), #45 White(Nebraska transfer to OkState), #46 Harding(OkState), #68 and #84 Dixons(Oklahoma)

2013:#14 Beard(Wyoming), #74 Torres(OkState transfer to Northern Colorado)

2012:#14 Crutchmer(OkState)

2011: 0

2010:#49 Cowan(Penn), #56 DeAngelis(Oklahoma),#67 Balfour(Oklahoma)

2009:#3 Perry(OkState), #21 Bailey(OkState transfer to Wyoming),50-100 Ladd Rupp(OkState), Patterson(Oklahoma)

2008:#50-100 Matt Bryan(Purdue), Peck and Koepp to OkState

Edited by MSU158