Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

Suriano to Rutgers?

Bradley Glass in 1951 in the unlimited weight class for Princeton appears to be the only one to win at a jersey school

Thanks didn't know about Mr. Glass. After reading a bit about him he was quite an impressive individual.

Well ok Nick could be the 2nd!

More recent champ than Glass was Ken Mallory from Montclair State in 1978

Career record:  105-7-2

He won as the #8 seed, with a 37-0 record.

3x D3 NCAA titlist (1977-78-79)

Only D3 wrestler to ever win a D1 title.

Lost one-point opening bouts at D1 in 1977 (10-9) and 1979 (2-1 as the #3 seed)

Edited by lu_alum

Rutgers is a strange school. The campus is spread out and is not attractive compared to most other major state universities. Goodale is underrated and is solely responsible for bringing up the program. The talent in NJ is incredible. If Suriano transfers to Rutgers and doesn't win a national title, the school will become the new graveyard of college wrestling.

Tom Martucci Trenton State 1981

Funny how I missed that one in Boomer's dB. I honestly thought of Mallory without looking - went to dB to seek others and get Mallory career info.

Martucci would be the only NJ product to win at a NJ school. Perhaps Suriano could be the 2nd? However, I don't think it is likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

Rutgers is a strange school. The campus is spread out and is not attractive compared to most other major state universities. Goodale is underrated and is solely responsible for bringing up the program. The talent in NJ is incredible. If Suriano transfers to Rutgers and doesn't win a national title, the school will become the new graveyard of college wrestling.

Which is very highly possible seeing as Spencer Lee and Daton Fix will be arriving very shortly wrestling at historically much stronger programs.

Funny how I missed that one in Boomer's dB. I honestly thought of Mallory without looking - went to dB to seek others and get Mallory career info.

Martucci would be the only NJ product to win at a NJ school. Perhaps Suriano could be the 2nd? However, I don't think it is likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I forgot about Mallory and didn't know of Martucci.  Ok Nick can be the...4th?  Still less than PSU has on their roster this year! 

I heard his dad was behind the idea too, but I also heard his dad is loaded.  Really is this about less than a 100 percent scholarship?

I know nothing about the situation, the Suriano's, nor have sources but yes it could be about less than 100 percent. If Mr. Suriano feels like Nick is deserving of 100 percent, especially if Cael is pushing for him to stay, and take a scholarship cut I could totally see the dad saying, "fine, we will go somewhere that gives us 100". Now, is the main reason, and driving force behind that? Maybe not. If Nick was already wanting to leave though, PSU not willing to budge on scholly money might be the nail in the coffin. Pride can motivate someone for a long time.

I don't see how a dad's ego is the main reason behind such a high profile move with so many potential consequences for Suriano (sitting out a year, etc.). If Nick didn't want out, I highly doubt Mr Suriano would push for something his college-aged son didn't want. Nick didn't fit for whatever reason. No harm, no foul. Nick did everything Cael could've asked of a true freshman on the mat, and the injury doesn't change that. He has the right to go to school wherever he wants and hold his head up high.

I know nothing about the situation, the Suriano's, nor have sources but yes it could be about less than 100 percent. If Mr. Suriano feels like Nick is deserving of 100 percent, especially if Cael is pushing for him to stay, and take a scholarship cut I could totally see the dad saying, "fine, we will go somewhere that gives us 100". Now, is the main reason, and driving force behind that? Maybe not. If Nick was already wanting to leave though, PSU not willing to budge on scholly money might be the nail in the coffin. Pride can motivate someone for a long time.

It is against Big Ten rules to reduce a scholarship amount for a student in good standing.

It is against Big Ten rules to reduce a scholarship amount for a student in good standing.

Was he getting 100% his first year?  I would assume not, and he was probably expecting an increase(may have even spoken about it as part of an agreement) based on his performance.

I heard his dad was behind the idea too, but I also heard his dad is loaded.  Really is this about less than a 100 percent scholarship?

From what I've read, there is a Suriano in the area who is a doctor but that is not his father. As I recall, his father has a blue collar job and is not loaded. 

I am guessing that there's a big difference between in-state Rutgers and out-of-state Penn State tuition. Even if he was getting .5 scholarship at PSU and was offered .5 at RU, the remainder he would have to pay out of pocket could be substantial.  But based on wrestling and wrestling opportunities alone, PSU seems like a smarter investment for Nick.

MMA, though.

I am guessing that there's a big difference between in-state Rutgers and out-of-state Penn State tuition. Even if he was getting .5 scholarship at PSU and was offered .5 at RU, the remainder he would have to pay out of pocket could be substantial.  But based on wrestling and wrestling opportunities alone, PSU seems like a smarter investment for Nick.

MMA, though.

Out of state tuition is probably in the 40-45k range. In-state is outrageous as is. 

Was he getting 100% his first year?  I would assume not, and he was probably expecting an increase(may have even spoken about it as part of an agreement) based on his performance.

Unlike many schools, PSU does award 100% scholarships.  Considering the money invested in his potential weight classes (or lack thereof) and his HS credentials, I would assume his scholarship is very substantial. 

year end meeting

suriano - coach i think i had a great year can i get more money towards school

cael - you scored no points at nationals

Hard to argue with that logic......

Coach, I didn't redshirt and was thrown to the wolves.  My only loss of the regular season was to Gilman by 1(who is now representing the US in Freestyle).  I got hurt in YOUR garbage College Bowl Series event.  You don't want to give me more money after all I have been through for the team?  Ok, Peace Out!!!