Sign in to follow this  
preceptor

Ben Askren GOAT?

I think Gable gets too much credit (as a wrestler). There are several guys with better college creds than Gable. 

rex you're usually a pretty respectable poster, but this is one of the silliest things i've seen you say.

you need to go do some more research on gable's collegiate career.  I know at the surface "two time NCAA champ" doesn't seem all that impressive, but the way he absolutely dominated, destroyed and demoralized his competition throughout his collegiate career puts him near the top.  Now, I will never put him at the top becuase he didn't do what Smith, Stieber, Dake and definitely didn't do what Uetake or Sanderson did, BUT outside of that extremely exclusive club, he is at the top.

Again feeling blessed to have had the kind of coaches that built a love and pride for this sport deep inside me.  When I saw Gable win the USWF United States Wrestling Federation Championship in Stillwater, I had already seen him enough to know how it would play out.  To quote my gambling friends, "bet on him!"  If he beats Larry, he is in an entirely different conversation.  Let's Recap.  If you combine, college, freestyle, and coaching, he is probably the most influential man in the history of American Wrestling.  I know opinions vary on where he was in two of those 3, but those of us that saw him will tell you, he was damned special.  In this era I'm not putting my money on him.  He simply wouldn't be able to physically dominate in 6 minutes like he could do in 9 back in the day.  8 minute matches in college are a nightmare.  I wrestled over a hundred of them, and I can appreciate what it took for him to freakin maul everyone like he did, except 1 guy.  I've watched video of him where he looks like a nice junior high wrestler, but there's better video out there.  Maybe he was just my first hero, so I'm defending him a bit much.

Kyle Snyder was a better wrestler than cael at the same age. If he shirts he is a 4x undefeated champ, but as it stands he will be a 3 timer with a mini two world titles to his name (hopefully 3). He has had a better career by far during the same period of time as Carl, but Carl definitely had a better college only career.

Getting pinned by Gadson doesn't count? 

Frankly I'm more impressed with Zain making 5th at NCAAs as a true FR than I am with any of Pico's achievements on the mat. The 2 NCAA titles since then just buries Pico.

Zain got a lot tougher once Pico was no longer in his bracket.    He instantly shot up in results.     Wonder what changed.    

That said, here's Askren on losing and how it's an important part of the journey

Yes he's moved on. And yes he owned him, but it was also in 2014 when they last wrestled. Zain has improved tremendously and the bulk of his major accomplishments took place AFTER they last wrestled. Furthermore Zain finished 3rd in this same Olympic trials and was also on the opposite side of the bracket. Flip sides and it very well could have been Zain in the finals and Pico taking 3rd. I'm not saying Zain would win. I'm just not ruling it out with some cop out excuse like "anything's possible." It's the same reason to believe that Burroughs could beat Metcalf in a rematch or people who predicted that Gilman would beat Megaludis prior to their match at the WTTs this past year.

Zain couldn't win the the hand fight, that was his major problem.   He was never going to beat Pico unless that changed.    Pico leaving for MMA hurt Zain IMO.    Zain now breezes through in a depleted weight class and he'll never have to get to  the point where he can beat Pico in that aspect.    And what happened when he got to World's?  Promptly bounced out and sent home.    All those losses to Pico were helping him improve, but he still has more to go.    Even being 2nd best to Pico domestically would have made  Zain better internationally.   I'm not sure if they're friends or close at all, (doubtful, the series was too one sided to expect as much) but if so, having Pico as a training partner would do wonders for him.  

Cletus — your an a$$ for dredging this up and trying to restart this inane zain/pico crap. Please people, resist the troll.

Name calling, I guess I shouldn't expect any different from you.        I just came across a video where Askren specifically discuses his losses and how it helped him.  It is exactly about the topic here.    But that bothers you to the point of resorting to name calling.    And i'm the a$$.   ok

This year the World's won't be contested until October, so it will be a much longer season for our Seniors. Hopefully this extra time can help Zain get better, both from World Team Camps and whatever internationally Tournaments he enters. Looking back at Zain's two matches at the World's last year, he performed pretty good in my opinion, so hopefully he's not too far off as it is.

As far as Pico is concerned, well there's nothing we can do about it, other than speculate what the landscape would be like if he was still wrestling.

Also, I forgot how long Jordan Oliver suspension is, but if it's completed, I'm sure he'll be there to present a challenge as well as GHulk. I am curious as to see who else we may see going 65.