Sign in to follow this  
Guest Long_Arms

The Horse is out of the Barn again

I see one of the talking points is that our wrestling leadership did not know that wrestling was in danger of being dropped. This does not speak well of our leadership and maybe something should be done at the leadership level. Anyone who does not understand that politics is involved in decision making has thier head in the sand big time.

We in the wrestling community should be proactive not reactive, while on this subject watching Monday night wrestling on BTN system wide and having two FF from Indiana is asking for the sport to be dropped, if we want to be proactive maybe something should be done about IU's problem and it is at the top the program!!!! The program is fully funded and just poorly run and could effect other Big Ten schools.

Does not help to have a petulant coach that avoids team tournaments that would benefit the sport...just sayin'. We need leadership that wants to move the sport forward. Hopefully the events of today will open some eyes and leaders of collegiate wrestling will band together for the benefit of the sport.

John Smith clearly indicated in his interview posted on flow that the wrestling leadership was MIA and Cael clearly indicated that he is not part of the leadership despite providing most of the contact information to the IOC and their sponsors both on his Twitter page and on his blog. The fact is that Russia, Iran, most of the eastern Europe countries and perhaps Canada all have a great investment in wrestling (not just monetary). We're talking infrastructure, community enrichment, etc. All the countries, leadership or not were blindsided by the IOC decision. The fact is there are a few chumps at the IOC that want a reason to get paid off. Cael clearly acknowledges a money factor in his interview, and it's an unfortunate truth. Come September, one way or the other, payoff or legitimate, wrestling will stand. The dummies at the IOC who voted in the preliminary vote are in fact dummies who didn't have the necessary brains to vote with integrity and knowledge of what is good for the Olympics.

John Smith interview:

http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/151 ... g-Decision

Cael Sanderson interview:

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/player/?s ... d=22874732

Hopefully you are right and they are able to keep wrestling as an Olympic sport.

I think the focus by these college coaches should be on the sport on a domestic level first. The sport seems to be broken on so many levels.

Does not help to have a petulant coach that avoids team tournaments that would benefit the sport...just sayin'. We need leadership that wants to move the sport forward. Hopefully the events of today will open some eyes and leaders of collegiate wrestling will band together for the benefit of the sport.

And who, pray tell, are we discussing here?

I copied this list of IOC members from the Iowa forum. Looking it over, it strikes me as lacking in representation for some traditional and popular sports (e.g wrestling and boxing). Yachting, squash, rowing, sailing, luge, golf...they are all represented. I sometimes wonder if there is a bias to introduce newer, unusual or exotic sports because of $$$$ and rich non-athletes wanting to be able to be called "Olympians."

---------

IOC Executive Board

President

Jacques Rogge - Belgium [yachting]

Vice-Presidents

Ser Miang Ng - Singapore [sailing]

Thomas Bach - Germany [fencing]

Nawal El Moutawakel - Morocco [track]

Craig Reedie - Great Britain [badminton]

Members

John Coates - Australia [rowing]

Sam Ramsamy - South Africa [swimming, soccer]

Gunilla Lindberg - Sweden [luge]

Ching-Kuo Wu - Chinese Taipei [basketball]

Rene Fasel - Switzerland [ice hockey]

Patrick Joseph Hickey - Ireland [judo]

Claudia Bokel - Germany [fencing]

Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr. - Spain [skiing, golf, running]

Sergey Bubka - Ukraine [pole vault]

Willi Kaltschmitt Lujan - Guatemala [baseball]>>

This had everything to do with slimy corrupt scumbags trying to line their pockets, and nothing to do with lack of fan interest, silly rules, etc. Some of those complaints about FILA may be true (confusing rules, not popular on TV), but in the end the decision was one based on personal greed and corruption. But what they failed to realize (somehow the slimy fat-cats are often a little dim witted) is that the group of people they've managed to piss off are very powerful, and it's not the United States. The US will take the high road on this, but Russia and all its former subsidiaries will take the low road, and there's probably no group of people better suited to fight corruption than fellow corrupt politicians and organized crime bosses.

John Smith clearly indicated in his interview posted on flow that the wrestling leadership was MIA and Cael clearly indicated that he is not part of the leadership despite providing most of the contact information to the IOC and their sponsors both on his Twitter page and on his blog. The fact is that Russia, Iran, most of the eastern Europe countries and perhaps Canada all have a great investment in wrestling (not just monetary). We're talking infrastructure, community enrichment, etc. All the countries, leadership or not were blindsided by the IOC decision. The fact is there are a few chumps at the IOC that want a reason to get paid off. Cael clearly acknowledges a money factor in his interview, and it's an unfortunate truth. Come September, one way or the other, payoff or legitimate, wrestling will stand. The dummies at the IOC who voted in the preliminary vote are in fact dummies who didn't have the necessary brains to vote with integrity and knowledge of what is good for the Olympics.

John Smith interview:

http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/151 ... g-Decision

Cael Sanderson interview:

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/player/?s ... d=22874732

You really think that Wrestling will stand? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, because i do agree with you, but I think it's awful that wrestling will have to buy its way back into the Olympics.

Russia and Iran are going to be taking out the checkbook.....

I would really like you to explain what you are talking about. How do you relate what ever it is you are refering to the loss of olympic wrestling?

Good question, because I thought OK State and Iowa were both going to National Duals this year, although there have been recent years that they did not go.

I would really like you to explain what you are talking about. How do you relate what ever it is you are refering to the loss of olympic wrestling?

Read the OP's 2nd paragraph again. He was the one that decided to relate what is happening at the International level to collegiate wrestling and the leadership within collegiate wrestling. I agree with the OP in that there are leadership issues on many levels, especially here in the US.

That is all.

We can always count on you, Vak, to come galloping to the rescue any time there is a slight against Iowa, serious or trivial, real or imagined. It's a good thing those tender souls in Iowa City have you to stand up for them.

We can always count on you, Vak, to come galloping to the rescue any time there is a slight against Iowa, serious or trivial, real or imagined. It's a good thing those tender souls in Iowa City have you to stand up for them.

Nope, not referring to Iowa...or any other team that participates in the National Duals.

Umm...I don't think he was talking about Iowa, you blithering idiot. My point was that this is neither the time nor place to bring college wrestling rivalry axes to grind.

Let me get this right, the IOC (who could give a flip about the NCAA/NWCA Dual proposal) made their decision because certain coaches didn't take a leadership roll and support an Idea that nearly 50% of Div I coaches didn't support either

Let me get this right, the IOC (who could give a flip about the NCAA/NWCA Dual proposal) made their decision because certain coaches didn't take a leadership roll and support an Idea that nearly 50% of Div I coaches didn't support either

Please read the OP again. Two paragraphs, two separate thoughts. My interpretation for this thread was to discuss leadership at the collegiate level, as the OP did when he brought the example of Indiana forfeiting 2 weights during a televised broadcast. Personally, I believe this thread is extremely relevant, especially due to the current issues on the International level.

Heck, in some threads we talk about unicorns. I am not attempting to grind any axes. I am simply stating that coaches on the collegiate level should view what is happening on the International level as their "wake up call." They need to stop acting like modern day congressmen, sit down in a room and grind out an agreement and move this sport forward.

Where is written in the IOC that there can be only so many sports. Hosting wrestling doesn't cost a small fortune. In the 1960 Olympics wrestling was held in an ancient outdoor arena. It will cost Brazil at least $10,000,000 to build a trophy quality golf course for 2016. I know I appraised all six golf courses at Desert Mountain in north Scottsdale. I think the Russians will take care of this situation.

Any evidence that duals would "benefit the sport" would be helpful. Outside of a few noteworthy matches a year, duals are not well attended. As for International wrestling, please attend both an Olympics and a World Cup and tell me which one has more peoples interest. Personally, I think most people would rather see the best two wrestlers compete at a given weight, not the best group of 10. Attendance and history bears this out.

I'm curious, what happens when the sport is entirely switched to duals or whatever your personal preference for "team competition" is, and the sport still does not gain in popularity, or potentially even loses popularity? Who do you blame then? Everyone acts like there is some magic formula that's a surefire way to save the sport (both internationally and collegietely), but the powers that be are just choosing not to implement it. I just don't buy it.

Any evidence that duals would "benefit the sport" would be helpful. Outside of a few noteworthy matches a year, duals are not well attended. As for International wrestling, please attend both an Olympics and a World Cup and tell me which one has more peoples interest. Personally, I think most people would rather see the best two wrestlers compete at a given weight, not the best group of 10. Attendance and history bears this out.

I'm curious, what happens when the sport is entirely switched to duals or whatever your personal preference for "team competition" is, and the sport still does not gain in popularity, or potentially even loses popularity? Who do you blame then? Everyone acts like there is some magic formula that's a surefire way to save the sport (both internationally and collegietely), but the powers that be are just choosing not to implement it. I just don't buy it.

Exactly, Where is the evidence that a Dual Championship is going to make things better?

Name a State where the HS dual tournament is a well attended event. (you might come up with MN, but those are held at the same time as the individuals)

One thing for certain, the NCAA meet that is currently held works well, why do you want to change it,

Oh, I almost forgot, how does any of this affect the IOC's attitide towards international wrestling?

I thought this quote from Tom Brands was interesting:

"...it's worst than death, because you can't control death. I feel like we could have controlled this to some degree, got ahead of it a little bit... there were some warning signs in the past..."

So is he talking about the Olympic committee situation... Or could it also be about the demise of college wrestling? Hmmm...

I think the OIC is bluffing. Wrestling should call their bluff, and put a dagger into the crappy Olympics. Wrestling is pretty much the only sport I watch anyway. The Olympics is just for women nowadays. Not to mention they saddle the hosting cities with debt that they never get out of. Can't understand why any rational city would want to host them in the first place.

Oh, I almost forgot, how does any of this affect the IOC's attitide towards international wrestling?

I think you need to turn this question around - how will the IOC's dropping wrestling from the Olympics affect College wrestling?

I think I would take issue (nitpicky, to be sure) with the OP's title, though... The horse IS out of the barn with respect to the IOC. The horse may not yet have run off with respect to Collegiate wrestling - still time to bar the door?

The door to the barn was nailed shut a long time ago when folkstyle was advanced domestically rather than Olympic style.

We have ourselves, as the United States, to blame BY A LARGE PART for a stubborn independence from International Styles. We are the biggest television market and advertising market for the Olympics and only have meager support for International style wrestling domestically.

Before someone leads to the charge of the virtues of folkstyle vs international styles. It's not really up for debate. The fact remains that collegiate wrestling will be hurt if the IOC drops wrestling from its program. This cannot be disputed in reasonable terms.