Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Who could have beaten Cael in college?

If I remember he had some close ones with Cormier, so I'm not sure "trashed" is really fair to DC.  But still, the general point still stands.  Cael is the GOAT folkstyler.

here's what I could find for DC and Cael head to head: 20-9, 8-4, 14-3, 10-2, 8-3, 8-4.  

I think Greg Strobel would have given him trouble.

Asked Bobby Douglas about Cael and Mark Schultz and Bobby was of the opinion Cael would be too fast for Mark. Both on takedowns and on the mat.

Asked Dan Gable about Cael during Sanderson's senior year and Dan said he could think of two guys who might beat Cael but did not name them. He did say it would be a tossup at best and the guys were not current College wrestlers.

Cael had trouble with Damien Hahn and his slowdown game. Tie-ups, holding and stalling. Still won but it was the closest match he had. Don't remember another match in his career that was as close. Do know Cael did not like those who were maulers and especially referees who let them get away with it rather than clean wrestling.

Cael's ankle pick was the slickest move since John Smith's Low Single. Both were tough competitors who used setups to get in with beautiful timing on an opponent.

I think Greg Strobel would have given him trouble.

Asked Bobby Douglas about Cael and Mark Schultz and Bobby was of the opinion Cael would be too fast for Mark. Both on takedowns and on the mat.

Asked Dan Gable about Cael during Sanderson's senior year and Dan said he could think of two guys who might beat Cael but did not name them. He did say it would be a tossup at best and the guys were not current College wrestlers.

Cael had trouble with Damien Hahn and his slowdown game. Tie-ups, holding and stalling. Still won but it was the closest match he had. Don't remember another match in his career that was as close. Do know Cael did not like those who were maulers and especially referees who let them get away with it rather than clean wrestling.

Cael's ankle pick was the slickest move since John Smith's Low Single. Both were tough competitors who used setups to get in with beautiful timing on an opponent.

Vertus Jones also gave a him a 1 pt match and then Cael throttled him next time they wrestled. Also iirc the match with Hahn was at an early season tourney with 6 minute matches.

If we're giving out awards, would Dake receive "the greatest folkstyle defense of all time?"

how about stingiest wrestler of all time? I think Dake could claim that one. 

You can't really claim greatest defense because there have beeb guys like askren and randy lewis whose defense got them most of their points. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

how about stingiest wrestler of all time? I think Dake could claim that one. 

You can't really claim greatest defense because there have beeb guys like askren and randy lewis whose defense got them most of their points. 

think I counted 10 shut outs at NCAAs and maybe 3 other dec wins where he gave up only 1 pt. not sure anyone can beat Dake here.

edit-looked a little closer. Dake had 16 NCAA tourney wins that were by dec. gave up a total of 12 points in those 16 wins (10 shut outs, 3 where he gave up 1, 1 where he gave up 2, 1 where he gave up 3, 1 where he gave up 4). pretty crazy... 

Edited by KTG119

I'm sure everyone here has watched Cael teaching his ankle pick set ups either at a camp or thru video. I think a pretty good athlete who gets into top shape and masters his set ups would be very difficult to defend against.

Edited by TBar1977

I made the list. I remember losing to him and throwing temper tantrum. I was a bit of a brawler and he majored me and I didn't even feel like I'd wrestled a match. I was a sophomore and I told my coach I couldn't believe I lost to a freshman. My coach told me that, that freshman is pretty good.

Edited by preceptor

Dang, he had a heck of a national duals his jr. year

-Ed Aliakseyenka (Montclair St.) W-TF, 6:45 

-Josh Lambrecht (Oklahoma) W-MD, 16-8

-Daniel Cormier (Oklahoma St.) W-MD, 14-3

-Andy Hrovat (Michigan) W-F, :38

-Jessman Smith (Iowa) W-TF, 6:44

-Daniel Cormier (Oklahoma State) W-D, 10-3

Edited by AZCO

so you have resorted to googling my handle so you can grasp at obscure insults....

Nope. Just giving you back what you deserve after you threw out an unprovoked insult. If that, meaning insults, is where you are taking the board, then let's get this dance started. I don't mind getting muddy.

I don't know about beating him, but Cox vs Cael would've been a dogfight.  

Sanderson was just so technical. I feel like he could have slowed Cox down a bit more than most, and negated some of his athleticism (think Pendleton staying technically sound and negating Askren's scrambling-as much as someone could at least). I know Moore is a stud, but he did push Cox to OT last year too.

Sanderson was just so technical. I feel like he could have slowed Cox down a bit more than most, and negated some of his athleticism (think Pendleton staying technically sound and negating Askren's scrambling-as much as someone could at least). I know Moore is a stud, but he did push Cox to OT last year too.

I think Cael would've been too slick for J'Den. On the other hand every time I've thought J'Den was outmatched he seemed to win, lol.