Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Who could have beaten Cael in college?

It's true Banach swapped matches with Mann quite a bit in college (I believe) but won when it counted. He beat Mann in the 1983 NCAA finals. Mann also lost in the 1982 NCAA finals @ 190. Schultz also swapped a lot of matches too. 

Banach went 1-3 vs Mann that year. They didn't wrestle previous to that season to my knowledge. Mann lost in finals the year before to Bush from Iowa at 190 (while Banach was getting 2nd to Schultz).

Banach went 1-3 vs Mann that year. They didn't wrestle previous to that season to my knowledge. Mann lost in finals the year before to Bush from Iowa at 190 (while Banach was getting 2nd to Schultz).

Awesome, I didn't know he lost three times to Mann. That's incredible. 

How 'bout Cael vs John Smith - all else being equal?

Low single and movement against Ankle Pick & movement?

Still think Greg Strobel would give Cael the most trouble of those guys actually in his weight.

If they were the same weight and maintained the same bodily proportions I think Smith would have a few inches height/length on Cael. That wouldn't bode well for Cael.

That might be the most dominating loss ever.  I counted 5 Cael TD's, not including the first one that was stopped.  Gutches won the Par Terre game, which should be expected.  Without that Gutches throw, Cael wins handily. 

Without the 5 Cael TD's, not including the fantasy one, Gutches wins handily. 

its also worth noting that cael couldn't collar tie gutches because his elbows were so nasty. So, not an excuse for cael, but its pretty impressive he was that effective without the use of his best tie.

i should say collar tie him gratuitously. He got on his head some but not like normal. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

if anyone thinks Fullhart could have done it (which I don't), well then you better add Hartung to the list, given his owning of Fullhart throughout college. 

Fullhart had several wins over Sanderson. IMO it was simply a matchup thing. Hartung or anyone else who beat Fullhart is irrelevant.

I think that what Cael had more than any other wrestler was the ability to go out there and be almost the same every match. Mark Schultz was famously the opposite with lots of emotional ups and downs. Everyone seemed to have a lot more of those fluctuations than Cael. That's a huge advantage. Cael didn't have bad days in college. Other people did. That stacks the deck all else equal. Advantage Cael.

There's also a big difference between being able to beat someone and actually doing it. Sure there were plenty of guys that were CAPABLE of being Cael, but it's what you actually do that matters. Just like David Taylor and Kyle Dake. IMO Taylor is CAPABLE of beating Dake and being a world champion. However he hasn't actually done it. Dake is CAPABLE of beating Burroughs and being a world champion, he just hasnt actually done it(in a series).

Cael was pretty damn unstoppable his final few seasons. I really just don't see much from the past that would have given him many issues. Although, for some reason, I think Quentin would have been a difficult matchup for him. Wright had that way about him where he could switch styles to meet whatever his opponent was doing and was quite successful at it. 

Hahn beat him in freestyle and barely lost to him 4-3 in college.  I think had they met more often Hahn could have knocked him off.  Cael did avenge his loss to Paul Jenn at one point.  Some people consider Hahn's college career disappointing because he *ONLY* won NCAAs twice and was a 4xAA.  Definitely not a shortage of talent at all.