BigTimeFan

Junior World Freestyle Aug 1 -2

Nice preview article today, worth a read:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/July/25/Junior-Freestyle-World-Team-preview

I am really excited about this year's junior world team. I don't think I remember our sending a team quite as strong. Almost everyone on the team is a returning junior world team member including Hall (2016 gold) and Fix (2016 bronze). It's Valencia's third tour of duty and Kollin Moore's second. Both those guys were third in NCAAs this year. Incredible. Then there's Gable Steveson. I am beyond excited to see what he can do at the junior level.

Junior worlds are so tough it's hard to predict how our guys will do, but I think with so many strong, experienced guys on the team we can expect some really good things. I'd love to hear some thoughts / predictions.

Predictions?  Here we go (and yes, some may be "wishful thinking'):

50kg:  Heinselman - DNP

55kg:  Fix - GOLD

60kg:  McKee - DNP

66kg:  Deakin - DNP

74kg:  Hall - GOLD

84kg:  Valencia - SILVER/BRONZE

96kg:  Moore - GOLD

120kg:  Steveson - BRONZE

I'm usually way off, and have very little insight into World Level juniors outside of the US.  Just going off "gut".  If you want to destroy my predictions... feel free.  I have little skin in the game.  

My only comment is Moore's Gold.  I honestly think it'll be a dogfight at the top, but you HAVE to consider his training partner in Snyder.  If what he is USED TO seeing is Senior Level Gold competition, then Junior Level Gold ought not be out of the question.  He can obviously take anyone down, and so long as he doesn't get rolled with some freestyle funk (you know, the "cheap" kind that is 100% legit), I see him having a very successful trip.

I will take Steveson to win GOLD.

This kid will be unreal when his body develops into a man.

His matches with Wood showed he can dominate redshirt freshman as a high school junior.

He's an incredible talent.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well I for one am stoked, I can't wait. I believe we will do very well, especially in the upper weights. Starting with Hall, I believe we can run the table with medals, and with a little luck maybe a few titles.

Gable wrestling Snyder close at the OTC! Snyder techs Moore for the most part.

55kg:  Fix - BRONZE

60kg:  McKee - 5th

96kg:  Moore - BRONZE or 5th

120kg:  Steveson - GOLD

Predictions?  Here we go (and yes, some may be "wishful thinking'):

55kg:  Fix - GOLD

60kg:  McKee - DNP

96kg:  Moore - GOLD

120kg:  Steveson - BRONZE

I'm usually way off, and have very little insight into World Level juniors outside of the US.  Just going off "gut".  If you want to destroy my predictions... feel free.  I have little skin in the game.  

My only comment is Moore's Gold.  I honestly think it'll be a dogfight at the top, but you HAVE to consider his training partner in Snyder.  If what he is USED TO seeing is Senior Level Gold competition, then Junior Level Gold ought not be out of the question.  He can obviously take anyone down, and so long as he doesn't get rolled with some freestyle funk (you know, the "cheap" kind that is 100% legit), I see him having a very successful trip.

I don't see any of these as wishful thinking and I think Steveson will do better than bronze. I think it's all completely reasonable. 

Gable wrestling Snyder close at the OTC! Snyder techs Moore for the most part.

55kg:  Fix - BRONZE

60kg:  McKee - 5th

96kg:  Moore - BRONZE or 5th

120kg:  Steveson - GOLD

Gable wrestling Snyder close? That's nuts! Is he knocking heads with Gwiz yet?

Gable wrestling Snyder close? That's nuts! Is he knocking heads with Gwiz yet?

He wrestled both Gwiz and Snyder in a round robin at OTC two/three weeks ago. Snyder beat them both by a couple of takedowns. No turns. Gable lost to Gwiz by 3 and Snyder by 5. That is pretty darn close for Gable. He is going to be special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Cm9TjMQOE

Edited by PRyan2012

He wrestled both Gwiz and Snyder in a round robin at OTC two/three weeks ago. Snyder beat them both by a couple of takedowns. No turns. Gable lost to Gwiz by 3 and Snyder by 5. That is pretty darn close for Gable. He is going to be special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Cm9TjMQOE

It's very close and to be training with that caliber every day when you are already that good can only lead to great stuff. 

Well No doubt it's just a matter of time ( if it isn't already happening ), that Gwiz gets pushed really hard by Gable. If Gable continues his meteoric rise we very well may see him replace Gee wiz in a couple of years. Hopefully in the meantime this makes both of them better, and this translates to World medals and titles for the both of them.

Is Gable wrestling in college next year? If so man Snyder could be challenged! He will be a true freshman right-sorry to lazy to look it up while traveling.

Gable still has his senior year of high school left.

He is technically UWW cadet age still. He could wrestle at Junior Worlds 4 times in total.

Gable still has his senior year of high school left.

He is technically UWW cadet age still. He could wrestle at Junior Worlds 4 times in total.

I knew that but wasn't thinking..... but dang he is ready now! Amazing! Another Snyder! Great for team USA. Gwiz will hold him off for a year or two maybe.

Edited by PRyan2012

agreed.  He'll have two NCAA Championships by his last year of eligibility. 

Has a freshman ever won @ HWT? Will be interesting. 

Would we be favored to win this tournament if Spencer Lee was there?

I think there's a shot to win it without him. This is one of the best teams in recent memory. It's hard to say because I don't follow age level international teams like I follow senior level international but the US team has either 5 or 6 guys who've already won age level world medals. This is a strong group. 

One of the things that distinguishes this team from previous ones I am familiar with is the experience level. Almost every team member is a returning junior world team member. In addition, we have three high ranking NCAA AA's (Valencia=3rd, Moore=3rd, Hall=1st), McKee is an NCAA qualifier and the team has three returning world medalists (Fix=bronze @ JR, Hall=gold @ JR + cade Gold, Gable=2x Cadet Gold). Valencia is on his third tour of duty and last year was right in there. He's bigger and more experienced this year. Kolin Moore is also a returning Jr World team member. Heinselman (50kg) is a 2x Cadet world team member but never placed. Having so many people who have wrestled on the world stage, travelled internationally to wrestle and who have high level experience is a key differentiator this year.