BigTimeFan

Junior World Freestyle Aug 1 -2

FIx has a tough draw.  He'll cruise through his opening match and then has winner of Khashalov and Naim.  Khash is Jr Euro champ and defending Jr world champ.  Naim is Euro jr runner-up. Then it looks like Abduallaev in the quarters, who is Jr bronze world medalist.  If he gets through all that, then I'm guessing he finds Iran in the Semis.

Deakin appears to have a dream draw.  We're gonna wish Yianni had a healthy summer if he doesn't take advantage.  

Edited by LemonPie

It's obvious Mark Hall is a fantastic talent. But does anybody else other than me think he is way too small for anything other than 74 kilos. Even if they had an 80 kg class, he's still one of the smaller 74s to my eye.

He's not small for 74KG.  He just has a large head. 

If I read those draws correctly, we didn't get many bargains for tomorrow. Fix would have the Azeri wrestler in the second round. Steveson has one of the twin Rakmanov (sp) brothers in the first round, Zahid has an Azerbaijani wrestler in the first round. Deakin looks to have a pretty good draw. This is just from looking at the uw-w boards. They make things so much harder than necessary

Edited by ConnorsDad

Small right now, won't be small when he needs to be bigger.

T-bar I realize he's going to put on some size but he's probably not going to get much taller. He's also not what I would call broad-shouldered. Just like I thought Dake was small for the class, I think Hall is probably even smaller.

T-bar I realize he's going to put on some size but he's probably not going to get much taller. He's also not what I would call broad-shouldered. Just like I thought Dake was small for the class, I think Hall is probably even smaller.

Does anyone know what his rationale is? Is he really finding the cut too tough?

He looked small at JR. Worlds last year. He looked small at 174lbs. this year. All he does is win. Wrestling accommodates a lot of body types. He will be fine. 

Heinselman: looked like he just didn't have the horsepower to stay with the opponent he lost to, but I believe Malik has a bright future ahead, and I am looking forward to seeing him wrestle again.

McKee: all I can say is he is something else, no way did I think he was going to win a couple of those matches, yet he found a way. Hats off to him, this is a big feather in his cap.

Hall: beast, magician, a dozen other complementary names, they all fit. Wow, look out World.

Moore: I saw that Big Time Fan said he looked tired. I agree, I think Kollin, might still be suffering from jet lag or something, but congrats on winning against a tough Iranian, and getting a Bronze. I think Kollin will do much better against the Georgian the next time they wrestle.

All in all we had a very very good first day. Hopefully this trend continues throughout this tournament. Once again congrats to all our wrestlers.

I've heard, through other posts/threads this past year, that Moore only recently started wrestling Freestyle.  Granted, Folkstyle helps, but, if this is the case, the future is looking bright for Mr. Moore.  

Can anyone confirm/add clarity about Moore's freestyle background (prior to the past two years)?

Does anyone know what his rationale is? Is he really finding the cut too tough?

It could be that Mark Hall is one of those wrestlers who was so good that he never really had to or learned how to cut any significant weight before. He looked kind of small during NCAAs too.

I hope we get to see Hall compete at U23s in November.  The new weight classes should be out by then, right? Hopefully it won't interfere with his training and preseason at PSU. U23s might be a good opportunity for him to test the waters.

I've heard, through other posts/threads this past year, that Moore only recently started wrestling Freestyle. Granted, Folkstyle helps, but, if this is the case, the future is looking bright for Mr. Moore.

Can anyone confirm/add clarity about Moore's freestyle background (prior to the past two years)?

His first freestyle tournament was last year. I think he has been in a grand total of 4 or 5, including two junior world tournaments.

Moore: I saw that Big Time Fan said he looked tired. I agree, I think Kollin, might still be suffering from jet lag or something, but congrats on winning against a tough Iranian, and getting a Bronze. I think Kollin will do much better against the Georgian the next time they wrestle.

Per his post-tournament interview,

Re: what he learned about himself this tournament:  "I was hurtin', I've been hurtin' for a while.  I've got a really banged up neck, and, just toughness, I think that comes from college... "

Re: the semi-final loss: "Just a loss and a minor setback... staying mentally focused in matches.  Things get tough, I kinda daze off a little bit.  Especially in that semi, I got 4'd and my neck got dinged up so I was just kinda like, in a daze almost.  I felt weird walking off the mat like, was I wrestling, or..."

Steamboat - thanks. I was about to post that things just not making much sense given Moore's destruction and then the Georgian losing like he did in the finals. Always more to the story.

Congratulations to Mark Hall! 

Way to wrestle right to the Gold! So entertaining.

I thought Hall looked bigger, stronger, more ripped and faster than every one of his opponents today. Never mind his technique.

Congratulations to Mark Hall! 

Way to wrestle right to the Gold! So entertaining.

I thought Hall looked bigger, stronger, more ripped and faster than every one of his opponents today. Never mind his technique.

Hall just continues to show that he is a special talent for this sport. 

I feel like hall is one of the first american wrestlers who can score just as easily after letting an opponent get in on him. This seems to be more of an international feel, and the americans are usually like the Iranian kid was against Mark with tons of deep shots and yet losing points. 

Alot of these international guys don't seem to have go to offense unless you give them something to counter. The Turkish kid Hall went against had no offense and Mark wisely went conservative. I think Hall is an example of what training freestyle young can do for you. he is like a russian.

The opposite is Moore. He wrestles folkstyle. That Georgian that beat him proved he doesn't have that great of offense in the final. Moore though is a pro of taking deep straight on leg shots like folkstyle you can see coming a mile away that leave him in a compromised position to counters. He doesn't seem as comfortable in space. I think Moore has a long way to go to being competitive for any senior level events because he just isn't freestyle savy.

McKee a kid who didn't even place at NCAA's making such a big impact at juniors is impressive for usa wrestling.

Edited by matness