BigTimeFan

Junior World Freestyle Aug 1 -2

Hmmmm. Is this anxiety brought on by Kerkvliet's growth trajectory? 

More like Jake Deitchler anxiety.  First 17yr old to make an Olympic wrestling team in 30 years.  Next thing you know they lured him from his University of Minnesota commitment and brought him to the Olympic Training Center.

Edited by headshuck

I'm thinking Gable should skip his senior year of high school and get a headstart on his first Minnesota Gophers title!

He ain't beating Snyder. Wouldn't pick over Coon quite yet either...but after that? I think he might place 3rd at NCAAs. 

Although, being on bottom vs college heavyweights is no joke. 

Speaking of Gable, should he go the Kyle Snyder route, and go live and train at the OTC, for his Senior year in High School. I think it's something to be considered.

Anyway, this was an amazing performance by our male Freestylers, congrats to them and to all those that helped. Hopefully our team stays this hot for the duration of this tournament.

Speaking of Gable, should he go the Kyle Snyder route, and go live and train at the OTC, for his Senior year in High School. I think it's something to be considered.

Anyway, this was an amazing performance by our male Freestylers, congrats to them and to all those that helped. Hopefully our team stays this hot for the duration of this tournament.

He absolutely should.  What's the point in destroying HS competition?

Who are the resident athletes at the OTC these days? Would he be better served working with Tony Nelson in Minnesota (and getting to stay in school with his friends and be a somewhat normal kid) while sporadically attending camps out there? With the spread of the RTCs it seems more likely to me that the OTC route may not be ideal. He could be based out of Minnesota and do training camps all across the country working with different coaches and partners.

Who are the resident athletes at the OTC these days? Would he be better served working with Tony Nelson in Minnesota (and getting to stay in school with his friends and be a somewhat normal kid) while sporadically attending camps out there? With the spread of the RTCs it seems more likely to me that the OTC route may not be ideal. He could be based out of Minnesota and do training camps all across the country working with different coaches and partners.

USAW should pay somebody to be his full time training partner for the year.  

Don't wanna nitpick, but why is this the Snyder route? Cejudo did it long before. Or is it because Cejudo continued with high school wrestling in Colorado...?

Crazy to think only 3 guys on our team lost their last match of the tournament!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't wanna nitpick, but why is this the Snyder route? Cejudo did it long before. Or is it because Cejudo continued with high school wrestling in Colorado...?

Crazy to think only 3 guys on our team lost their last match of the tournament!

I'm ok with calling it the Snyder route as it doesn't imply Snyder did it first or invested it or was the only one. It's a convenient shorthand that we all recognize. Also it's less likely to be misunderstood. The Cejudo route could mean never wrestle NCAAs for example.

I'm ok with calling it the Snyder route as it doesn't imply Snyder did it first or invested it or was the only one. It's a convenient shorthand that we all recognize. Also it's less likely to be misunderstood. The Cejudo route could mean never wrestle NCAAs for example.

I like it.

But he performed about to expectations. Deakin well outpaced what anyone outside of his parents thought he would do.

Didn't Deakin win us open juniors, with yianni taking third, and dominated Lugo at the world team trials who won probably the most stacked weight for us in the challenge tournament. I think people didn't give Deakin the respect he deserved, and he proved it today. Edited by maolsen

I believe that people refer to sitting out their Senior high school year and living and training at the OTC, as "The Snyder route," is merely due to all the attention given to Snyder's meteoric rise and success. No doubt that others have done it, and they should not be slighted, but you have to say that Snyder going to the OTC for his Senior year has been highly publicized, and most fans are familiar with what he has done.

I believe that people refer to sitting out their Senior high school year and living and training at the OTC, as "The Snyder route," is merely due to all the attention given to Snyder's meteoric rise and success. No doubt that others have done it, and they should not be slighted, but you have to say that Snyder going to the OTC for his Senior year has been highly publicized, and most fans are familiar with what he has done.

Also, most guys actually wrestled in HS during their senior seasons at the OTC.  Cejudo, while he trained at the OTC, still competed locally in Colorado wrestling folkstyle.  Snyder just didn't compete his senior year, which I believe was unique and very smart.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I wholeheartedly agree. Considering the wealth of training partners and coaching in Minny, is going out to Colorado for 1 year going to make a huge difference in his development? If it was someone who had never been exposed to much high level coaching, then maybe that one year at the OTC would be way more valuable to them than a year with their high school team. But Gable has had excellent coaching/partners for awhile and will continue to do so for his last year of high school. Add in the fact that he's getting to live at home, be around his friends and brother and being a four-time state champion from a quality wrestling state like Minnesota (also @ an upper weight) is also an accomplishment he can be proud of. Yes, if it was numerous years, I would say go to the OTC. However, since it's the last year of high school, only for a year and all the other ancillary things that go along with staying in Minnesota, I would stay right where he is. It seems to be working for him so why upset the apple cart for one year. Either way I think he is the greatest talent at this age the US has ever had. To be that good and that age and that big old weight class is simply astounding. Unless he doesn't grow another inch or get any stronger or gets to be heavy-footed which seems almost silly, then it would appear to almost be unfair. This is a guy who, as an eighth-grader, finished third in Minnesota at 195. In his first year eligible for Cadet worlds, he defeated, handily, the returning Cadet World silver medalist. And this year, while still eligible for Cadets, he wins the junior World Championship and I think you could say it was fairly handily. Because of the strength differences at the heavier weights, bigger kids take a lot longer, in most cases, to get really good but he has blown away all those stereotypes about big kids. Is it possible that with a year left of high school he could all American at the ncaa's at heavyweight?