BigTimeFan

Junior World Freestyle Aug 1 -2

Coming in late after the thread exploded.  Great performance by the US team.  Why do our juniors not necessarily translate to senior level?  The next 3-5 years they will focus on folkstyle about 10 months of the year while the guys they beat in juniors will be doing freestyle 12 months a year over that same period.

Coming in late after the thread exploded. Great performance by the US team. Why do our juniors not necessarily translate to senior level? The next 3-5 years they will focus on folkstyle about 10 months of the year while the guys they beat in juniors will be doing freestyle 12 months a year over that same period.

Have we ever had a Jr team like this that we can compare too? Snyder won juniors and we've seen his success. Pico won JRs and went to MMA. Bubba won Juniors while in college and went to MMA. Who are the other juniors that aren't performing up to par?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Coming in late after the thread exploded.  Great performance by the US team.  Why do our juniors not necessarily translate to senior level?  The next 3-5 years they will focus on folkstyle about 10 months of the year while the guys they beat in juniors will be doing freestyle 12 months a year over that same period.

I think this year is different. Often we have had teams where people thought we'd bring it, and under perform. Not a single wrestler under performed. Not one. The two guys who were US favorites won. Pretty easily. The guys we figured would place did. Guys we didn't expect to place did anyhow. The guy who we thought would go 1 and out got us points.  

Edited by sgallan

Who are some juniors who excelled at that level but did not pan out in seniors?

Snyder exceeded his junior performances. 

Pico was in an Olympic trials final and lost on criteria to the eventual bronze medal match in the Olympics. 

Who has washed out or failed to deliver?   

Don't wanna nitpick, but why is this the Snyder route? Cejudo did it long before. Or is it because Cejudo continued with high school wrestling in Colorado...?

Crazy to think only 3 guys on our team lost their last match of the tournament!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry defeated my athlete in the semi-finals at state.  My guy Eric was 32-1 on the season.  He had never placed in state, and recovered from ACL surgery the week of the 5th football game.  We came back to take 3rd and major decisioned the next year's state champ for 3rd.   I think Henry teched his way through the season.  Catch and release.  I saw Pat Smith, Eric Guerrero, Cael Sanderson, Dave Schultz,...many great ones, while they were in high school.   Somehow, it seemed pointless knowing that he was never going to wrestle in college, to just easily tech fall 40 high school kids. He was comparable to Eric Guerrero in my opinion in how unbelievably dominant he was on his feet. 

Junior to Senior--the comparison is gold to gold.  Yes, Snyder made the transition, the others, no.  C'mon, MMA doesn't count.  That said, I too have the impression this group can be different and hoping the trajectory can continue.