BigTimeFan

Junior World Freestyle Aug 1 -2

As far as my predictions I predict first and foremost we get at least four medals with a good shot at five. It's so hard at these levels to call out a gold with any confidence. Think that Snyder took a bronze in Jr World in 2015!

2014, and then senior gold in 2015... but the point stands. 

I knew that but wasn't thinking..... but dang he is ready now! Amazing! Another Snyder! Great for team USA. Gwiz will hold him off for a year or two maybe.

I'm all for hype but Snyder wasn't even Snyder at this point in his career. maybe chill out a little bit and see how he does in his first junior worlds before awarding him the senior level starting spot in a year or two maybe. 

I'm all for hype but Snyder wasn't even Snyder at this point in his career. maybe chill out a little bit and see how he does in his first junior worlds before awarding him the senior level starting spot in a year or two maybe. 

Agree. Just excited to see him hanging with Snyder and Gwiz this young!

If he was at 50KG it would help.

Exactly, he'd probably be a step down from Fix, and likely is bulking up for college so 50kg is probably out of the question, solid time to rest and heal that knee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Would we be favored to win this tournament if Spencer Lee was there?

Spencer would help a lot. Malik is good, but is unlikely to medal.

Fix, Hall, and Gable are likely finalists, Zahid and Moore are contenders and Deakin has looked incredible.

Mckee is wide open so who knows

Malik I think is the weakest link (good wrestler). With Spencer replacing him we would have 4 highly likely medals and 3 other contenders. Would be our best team ever.

Without Spencer it is a tough road to win it all. I expect at least two golds though.

Spencer would help a lot. Malik is good, but is unlikely to medal.

Fix, Hall, and Gable are likely finalists, Zahid and Moore are contenders and Deakin has looked incredible.

Mckee is wide open so who knows

Malik I think is the weakest link (good wrestler). With Spencer replacing him we would have 4 highly likely medals and 3 other contenders. Would be our best team ever.

Without Spencer it is a tough road to win it all. I expect at least two golds though.

110lbs is soooooo light. Seems like it'd be unrealistic to convince him to make this weight in august instead of preparing for the future.

Predictions?  Here we go (and yes, some may be "wishful thinking'):

50kg:  Heinselman - DNP

55kg:  Fix - GOLD

60kg:  McKee - DNP

66kg:  Deakin - DNP

74kg:  Hall - GOLD

84kg:  Valencia - SILVER/BRONZE

96kg:  Moore - GOLD

120kg:  Steveson - BRONZE

I'm usually way off, and have very little insight into World Level juniors outside of the US.  Just going off "gut".  If you want to destroy my predictions... feel free.  I have little skin in the game.  

My only comment is Moore's Gold.  I honestly think it'll be a dogfight at the top, but you HAVE to consider his training partner in Snyder.  If what he is USED TO seeing is Senior Level Gold competition, then Junior Level Gold ought not be out of the question.  He can obviously take anyone down, and so long as he doesn't get rolled with some freestyle funk (you know, the "cheap" kind that is 100% legit), I see him having a very successful trip.

WOW....U.S. junior is number one in the world! it will be cool. Why juniors win more golds but when join to senior - they can't win even bronze medals in world????? hm....strangely

This is a tough tourney to handicap.  Iran has been incredible in recent history with new stars every year.  There seems to be less parity at Jrs. than seniors, with Iran, Aze, and, of course, Russia dominating the field. USA finished 2nd a few years ago and I think that's doable again.  If Spencer Lee and Yianni were in the lineup perhaps I'd be more optimistic.  Keep in mind, the team point system is more about balance than front line strength.  Getting everyone into the semis (where you are guaranteed 5th place) is worth more points (48) than if you had three golds (30)   

Small article on UWW site re Jr Worlds. Hall, Fix and Steveson all get a mention: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/pataridze-eyes-no3-five-more-seeking-repeat-titles-at-jr-world-cships

Article contains a pretty glaring mistake. Khashalov isn't the reigning world champion, he's the reigning junior world champion. Spencer Lee beat him badly at Cadets a few years ago and maybe Fix can beat him now. 

Valiev lost 5-0 to Mason Manville at cadets a few years ago as well. 

Edited by TBar1977

Thanks for those nuggets TBar, cant wait for this to start

Here is Radik Valiev at WC Los Angeles 2016 vs. Tlashadze who is pretty highly ranked Sr. at the time. Probably top 10 in the world. Tlashadze beats him 13-4 in this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tlJo9MzUhc&t=4s

I found the Manville match but it is hardly worth watching as this Valiev was pretty skinny back then. Totally different animal today. I tried to find his Yarygin videos where he storms back in the consi matches to take 3rd but they are only in Russian that I can find and I'm not sure I can identify him in the videos. 

Not sure if you can watch this from Flo, but Khashalov is pretty quick in last year's junior worlds.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/990714-55-kg-final-a-khashalov-aze-vs-k-badrudinov-rus#.WX9KvYgrJPY

EDIT: You tube link     

I don't know exactly why, but Khashalov reminds me of a quicker version of Thomas Gilman. Keep in mind as well, the guy Khashalov beats here has beaten Daton Fix previously. Fwiw. 

Edited by TBar1977

Thanks again for posting, I wish our juniors competed in more senior level events like other countries. Both for a gauge as well as "experience tool". Im sure itll be implemented someday. That Yargin bronze is no small thing, but any given day +losing to the right person. Freestyle bronze can be deceptive

Thanks again for posting, I wish our juniors competed in more senior level events like other countries. Both for a gauge as well as "experience tool". Im sure itll be implemented someday. That Yargin bronze is no small thing, but any given day +losing to the right person. Freestyle bronze can be deceptive

I favor Hall over Valiev. I think I probably favor Khashalov over Fix, but a Fix win would not shock me.