Photo

Why does Fargo require state qualification?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

Does anyone know why Fargo isn't an open event such as folkstyle nationals is? Just curious of USAW's thinking on why they need to have it state based.

#2 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

And on a related topic why does each state get to set its own qualification criteria instead of it being uniform across the nation? Unless I'm mistaken each state still has the latitude to determine who can attend Nationals.

In some states you are require top 3 placement or winning a regional or you can't go even if spots are left. Other states require just state tournament attendance to qualify as long as they have spots. And I believe some state don't even require you to attend any previous events as long as you have a card and pay the Fargo entry fee before their states spots will up. Seems like it creates an uneven qualification system for such a prestigious national event.

Edited by MadMardigain, 27 July 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#3 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

It is like the worlds/Olympics but rather than each nation being able to set their own criteria and send their athletes, each state sends their athletes to compete for the National crown.
Twitter: @Pinnum

#4 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Florida's criteria is largely subjective with many hoop$ to jump through. Many of the top programs just stopped doing FS/GR because of it.

#5 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

USAW is a grass roots organization based on state organizations. It was back in the USWF days.

Same basic rules throughout at least the 40 years I've been involved.

#6 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

Perhaps something to do with cutting out the fluff.

I love Fargo, and like the US Open, WT/Olympic trials, and even the  CAHS state tournament, it doesn't sell out.   

#7 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:14 AM

USAW is a grass roots organization based on state organizations. It was back in the USWF days.

Same basic rules throughout at least the 40 years I've been involved.

Yes, but why? Why do they do it one way for freestyle and greco, but not folkstyle?

Perhaps something to do with cutting out the fluff.

I love Fargo, and like the US Open, WT/Olympic trials, and even the  CAHS state tournament, it doesn't sell out.   

What fluff? There is plenty of fluff at Fargo, just as much as at UNI for folkstyle nationals.

#8 Husker_Du

Husker_Du

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

State processes are 'uneven' because states are uneven.

It's more difficult to qualify via Illinois than Maine.

i guess i don't understand the question.

why isn't it just open entry? 

b/c there's already 2500 entries.

Don't make Zebra unhappy.

#9 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

State processes are 'uneven' because states are uneven.

It's more difficult to qualify via Illinois than Maine.

i guess i don't understand the question.

why isn't it just open entry?

b/c there's already 2500 entries.

It is set state by state. I understand if the criteria were set differently (Pennsylvania for example could require state qualification, while Georgia would require placement) but because it isn't set, it isn't an accurate representation of the best in the country.

#10 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

It is set state by state. I understand if the criteria were set differently (Pennsylvania for example could require state qualification, while Georgia would require placement) but because it isn't set, it isn't an accurate representation of the best in the country.

I doubt any state weeds out the best ones. Cost is the toughest opponent for the best
Wrestlers.

#11 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

I doubt any state weeds out the best ones. Cost is the toughest opponent for the best
Wrestlers.

Not sure if cost holds back the most - definitely a major factor - more a combination of wanting to wrestle in the summer and many HS coaches  counseling against doing fs/greco (or at least not counseling in favor of)

#12 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

What fluff? There is plenty of fluff at Fargo, just as much as at UNI for folkstyle nationals.

Exactly, the fluff they eliminate.    Now imagine the fluff if any kid could enter without having to qualify.     Bob you can't be this ignorant.    No idea why be intentionally obtuse but have at it.    

#13 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

Exactly, the fluff they eliminate.    Now imagine the fluff if any kid could enter without having to qualify.     Bob you can't be this ignorant.    No idea why be intentionally obtuse but have at it.    

Not being ignorant, just curious why everyone must go through their state association for the event. Other than Illinois, Ohio, and a couple other states to "qualify" you mainly need money and a little wrestling ability with money being the most important factor.

I'm just curious why all other USAW events are basically open and this is not. I didn't know if there was a reason for it or just "the way we've always done it."

#14 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:17 AM

Not being ignorant, just curious why everyone must go through their state association for the event. Other than Illinois, Ohio, and a couple other states to "qualify" you mainly need money and a little wrestling ability with money being the most important factor.

I'm just curious why all other USAW events are basically open and this is not. I didn't know if there was a reason for it or just "the way we've always done it."

Bob I think part of the answer is so the state organizations can have a money maker. don't know if this happens but maybe then states use some of the revenue to help fund the Fargo trip, training camp, coaches, etc.  

#15 Husker_Du

Husker_Du

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

"Other than Illinois, Ohio, and a couple other states to "qualify" you mainly need money and a little wrestling ability with money being the most important factor."

Again, not sure what you mean.

It's either 1) you have to qualify because too many kids want to go and there is a limit 

or

2) not enough kids in your state want to go, thus you can just pay and go.

it's not rocket science. 

every state in which you must qualify has participation beyond the state limit per wt. class. 

Edited by Husker_Du, 31 July 2017 - 11:45 AM.

Don't make Zebra unhappy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users