Sign in to follow this  
de4856

Senior Worlds

Might as well get this one started.

So with many of the favorites at 57 either out, or moving to 61, does this create a huge window of opportunity for Gillman? I believe it does.

61, well no two ways about it, it's going to be an absolute demolition derby. If Logiebear can somehow manage to win his first couple, I think many of the favorites will have to collide with one and another. I think that the deeper Logan can make a run into the bracket, the better. This weight may simply be a war of attrition.

65, Zain, who knows, hopefully he gets a couple of wins early and it boost his confidence, and just maybe he'll be there at the end.

70, Green looks solid, I think he's looking for redemption, I believe he will make a deep run, that culminates with a medal.

74, Burroughs, same thing, except he has more experience and craftiness that Green. I expect him to be on the podium.

86, if we get the J'Den of 2016, I think he's also on the podium or in the finals.

97, Snyder, well hopefully it just pufunctory with his early matches, and if he gets in the finals versus Sadaluev, I wouldn't bet against the Boy King.

Hwt. Gwiz, Idk, hopefully he starts out hot, and his confidence take off after that. Hopefully he, like all our wrestlers get very good draws.

Edited by de4856

This has been discussed pretty in-depth in the past month.

As you stated its better for our guys to win than lose to increase chance at a medal (good observation :) ). I think the people moving up from 57 is being overblown as an opportunity for Gilman, its not like all of those countries are going to roll out cans. Tough tough tough sledding for Logie. Zane is a wild-card, JamesG/JB/Snydman should medal, Just depends on which Cox shows (could medal or not be competitive)... and Wiz like Gillman is a longshot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by spladle08

Well, I do agree about Gilman and Gwiz being long shots, however, what gives me a little bit of encouragement is that, we have a tendency to do well at this weight. In the not to distant past we had both Simmons, and Escobedo take 5th, plus Ramos made a pretty good run in 2015. So I'm optimistic, but we shall see.

Possible Russian team?

57  Uguev, or does Rashidov go back down to 57? 

61  Chakaev or Rashidov up here at 61?

65  Bekbulatov or Ramonov?   

70  Kurbanaliev or Kasumov or Tsabalov?

74  Gadzhimagomedov or Geduev?

86  Kurugliev or Geduev?

97  Sadulaev

125  Khugaev or Boltukaev?

Btw IMO, 57kg is still absolutely loaded. Takahashi (JPN) looked great winning Asians and Edisheresh (AZE) won the very tough Euros. Then there's RUS, CUB, IRI, TUR, MGL, KOR, PRK, just to name a few that should have top notch entries. This bracket will be a minefield.

Edited by 2td3nf

Btw IMO, 57kg is still absolutely loaded. Takahashi (JPN) looked great winning Asians and Edisheresh (AZE) won the very tough Euros. Then there's RUS, CUB, TUR, MGL, KOR, PRK, just to name a few that should have top notch entries. This bracket will be a minefield.

It's an incredibly difficult weigh class regardless of the year imo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When has Cox ever looked like he wouldn't be competitive on the international level?!

He's always been convincing. When has Cox ever competed against top level world competition after writhing in agony over a knee injury a month before giving an interview explaining he is still not 100% since he's been unable to practice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the only reason Gilman never put it all together at NCAA's is because he wasn't able to wrestle with a beard.  Think about it... since growing the beard he's undefeated.  With that in mind, he's a lock to bring home gold IMO.  

I'd like to see him take it a step further.  Of course everyone knows the old adage, "never go full Zadick," but I think Gilly should give it a shot.  

Everyone we're sending is "medal-capable" except Gwiz.  Nothing personal but he's just not there yet. I think Gilman is a stronger candidate than people realize.  Defeating a rested opponent in the WTT's finals after several tough matches is a significant feat.  That said--we'll see.

Call me a homer but all of our guys medal and we take home the team trophy!!!   Ok, just kidding. 

I would like the team title but I don't think that is likely.  Could happen though.  If so, it could be Putin trying to get us cocky and then he sends the real guys out for the Olys. 

mspart

Probably. I think this is even more anticipated. Just my $0.02. 

Burroughs and Tsargush had a legit rivalry spanning 5 or so years.  It would be amazing to see Sadulaev and Snyder do the same. 

If there's 1 thing that gives Snyder/Sadulaev the edge it's that Snyder can be viewed as the underdog.  I never felt like Burroughs was the underdog after 2011.  

Burroughs and Tsargush had a legit rivalry spanning 5 or so years.  It would be amazing to see Sadulaev and Snyder do the same. 

If there's 1 thing that gives Snyder/Sadulaev the edge it's that Snyder can be viewed as the underdog.  I never felt like Burroughs was the underdog after 2011.  

Agree. Once Burroughs started winning I did not see him losing for a long time. I even picked him to beat Dake this year before their match started (I became a flip flopper after match 1, lol). I can envision Snyder and Sads trading wins. 

The big difference between Burroughs/Tsargush and Snyder/Sadulaev is that burroughs was an up and comer...."okay let's see how he does against the best in the world". That match and 2011 worlds as a whole really took a lot of people by surprise I think.

Here we two who both won the last two world and Olympics , both at the same very young age. That's a whole other level of excitement.

Probably. I think this is even more anticipated. Just my $0.02.

Much more. It's been as close to a MMA style buildup as the sport has ever seen, complete with Twitter jabs back and forth, rumors already over a year old, and major media coverage of its potential (including a UWW article or mention or two).

Well hopefully we see Kyle and Sadaluev in the finals, and if that happens, I think it'll be a spectacular match with both wrestlers attacking and scoring points, leading all us fans to be jumping for joy one moment and cursing and saying wo is me the next. But in the end, I wouldn't bet against Kyle.

57  Great run by Gilman staying in the championship bracket but ran into Takahashi in the finals. Thought Takahashi looked great in dominating and winning the Asians back in May.

61  Yeah I know, tough draw, and it was. Wondering if 61 is too much of a cut? Thought Logan looked fantastic on his 2016 winter tour and Trials run up at 65kg.

65  Zain came out of the gate fast with a nice w but then ran into a very tough 32 year old in Adam Batirov. Then Batirov loses his next match 2-1 to Gogaev of Russia. 

70  Great bracket busting by James to make it to the finals against Chamizo.

74  Legendary. Also, see 97 below.

86  First, glad to see that J'den"s knee is ok.  That guy Makoev that beat him in the semis beat Morocco, then BUL then CUB before facing J'den. He hit a slick move on J'den. 

97  Movie material.

125  Huge team points at this weight. Gwiz was clutch.