Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

2018 NCAA Champions Wish List

Illustrates how hard it is to be champ. 

yes indeed, but not too uncommon for a team that has a run of 6th, 4th, 10th, 8th, 10th, and 11th team finishes to punch more than 1 through to finals and/or crown at least one champ during that period. speaks to the overall team balance they have had for sure.  

It illustrates the importance of nabbing top 5 recruits. Obviously people who aren't top 5 punch through, but its a longer road to an individual title if you don't get them regularly. 

this is also true

125 - Suriano Penn State

133 - Gross SDSU (good redemption story)

141 - Anyone but Heil

149 - Zain

157 - Nolf

165 - Cenzo

174 - Hall

184 - Bo

197 - Don't really care at this point

HWT - Someone other than Snyder. Not that I dislike him but it would be cool. 

HWT - Someone other than Snyder. Not that I dislike him but it would be cool. 

Probably the most unique thing about Snyder losing (if he did), he would be the third straight HWY to fall short of a third title. Gwiz stopped Nelson, and Snyder stopped Gwiz. IIRC Nelson and Gwiz also both placed 7th their FR season.

125: Shakur Laney, Ohio U--From the Columbus area

133: Nate Tomasello, tOSU--Parma Ohio (suburb of Cle)

141: Brendan Fitzgerald, tOSU--pinned Micic last year--Columbus

149: Dean Heil--OSU--moves up and takes out the Train--Cle

157: Micah Jordan--tOSU--too quick for Nolf--Graham, Ohio

165: Alex Marinelli-Iowa--shocks the big boys--Graham, Ohio

174: Bo Jordan--tOSU--third champ from Graham

184: Domenic Abounader--BLUE--Gates Mills, Oh (suburb of Cle)

197: Kollin Moore--tOSU--Burbank, Ohio

Hvy: Jacob Kasper--Duke--shocks the world a year after he said he'd do it--Lexington, Ohio

I probably forgot about Konrad because there were several one time champs between him and Nelson, when the most recent 2X curse began. Excited for Gable to hopefully bring the HWY belt back to MN.

Hopefully Gable does not suffer a similar Gable fate during his final NCAA match.. I'm definitely excited to see what he does in the next coming years.. Is he good enough to win 4 titles?

Hopefully Gable does not suffer a similar Gable fate during his final NCAA match.. I'm definitely excited to see what he does in the next coming years.. Is he good enough to win 4 titles?

I think people throw out the 4 timer possibility far too often, and easily. Aside from Cael (don't know too much about PS career) Kyle and Logan needed some good fortune to win 4. Logan had controversy in two of his wins, and also had an injury that gave him a do over on his FR year. Kyle, while we have seen now it might not have made a difference, but was always a year removed, or ahead of some studs that came in to his previous weight class.

I'm not at all saying this to say these guys are undeserving, rather just how hard it is to win 4. Look at guys like Taylor, Martinez, and Snyder. Ironically all three of them, lost a title by pin fall, with Taylor losing another to Dake, and Kyle and Isaiah having one more year. It's why NCAA is the greatest tourney ever, anything can happen!

I think people throw out the 4 timer possibility far too often, and easily. Aside from Cael (don't know too much about PS career) Kyle and Logan needed some good fortune to win 4. Logan had controversy in two of his wins, and also had an injury that gave him a do over on his FR year. Kyle, while we have seen now it might not have made a difference, but was always a year removed, or ahead of some studs that came in to his previous weight class.

I'm not at all saying this to say these guys are undeserving, rather just how hard it is to win 4. Look at guys like Taylor, Martinez, and Snyder. Ironically all three of them, lost a title by pin fall, with Taylor losing another to Dake, and Kyle and Isaiah having one more year. It's why NCAA is the greatest tourney ever, anything can happen!

Oh I agree 100% What I am more so asking is do you think he will be a title contender right off the bat?

agreed.

fyi Pat Smith had a few close ones at NCAAs along the way to his 4 titles. 11-7 final freshman year (though I think it was never really in doubt). Soph yeah he won 5-4 in semis and 7-6 in final over Tom Ryan, tough match. Junior year he won 3-1 in finals over Miller, who he had tied in reg season. Senior year 5-3 over Bormet but again think that one was pretty controlled. 

Oh I agree 100% What I am more so asking is do you think he will be a title contender right off the bat?

I'll be honest. I haven't watched much of any of his matches, haven't lived in MN for about 8 years. From the results though, and what he is doing on the World stage, I could easily seeing him make an impact and challenge for a title. That being said though, IMO I think it is easier to excel in freestyle with easier/more ways to score points. I don't know the type of folkstyle comp he has had, and he might run in to some tough 2019 seniors (Nevills, Hall)