Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Does Gilman have a shot??

It's more around "likelihood" or probability... and now that I said those words, those stat freak trollers are going to attack if I don't use the exact method prescribed by some dead statistician from some textbook they are glued to.

Realistically... I don't think so... the world is still deep, and although Gilman has some experience, this is treading new waters for him.  However, he could surprise some folks, and thus, us all.  But... i just don't think it's this year.  Next year or the year after, maybe, but I think someone else will take the helm at this approx. weight class by then for Team USA.

I'm not a big fan of this thought "the previous representative from this country moved up so their replacement isnt going to be very good"

Competitiveness top to bottom of the lighter weights, coupled with lack of senior level experience, plus being american (hate to say it but our general style seldom directly correlates to freestyle success...recent exceptions: Snyder groomed from birth, JB freakish double, Cox just wildly atheltic for his weight,... and then theres, Gillman more relying on gas-tank and pace... think Metcalf) ... im tired of rambling but I wouldnt project him to win more than 2 matches. obviously Id prefer 8 golds... wait and see

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think Gilman is our best prospect at the lightest weight in a while and capable of having a good tournament.   The fact he won the WTT's over a rested Ramos is very impressive.  Defeating an improving Tomasello in semis was another solid win as well.  Gilman can score which is obviously important.  While he's not likely to medal, it wouldn't shock me if he did.  

I do like that he can score points I hate feeling like any deficit is an automatic loss. That said, he beat a Ramos that has never been competitive vs international competition and needed late match heroics to top NATO...

I fully believe he can develop into a world beater but I'm still pretty sold on Fix being our future at this weight, starting as soon as next year... his current domination at Juniors + his match against Yatsenko (who is currently ranked 10th i think) at last years Worlds really have me optimistic

I think Gilman has as much a shot as anyone else going into their first World Championships. He's not known internationally and could really wear out some guys. All of this is without mentioning that he is coached by the best light weight coaches in the U.S., so that means quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of this is without mentioning that he is coached by the best light weight coaches in the U.S., so that means quite a bit.

Have they coached many light weights to world medals? (Not being a jerk just can't think of one)

I'm not a big fan of this thought "the previous representative from this country moved up so their replacement isnt going to be very good"

Competitiveness top to bottom of the lighter weights, coupled with lack of senior level experience, plus being american (hate to say it but our general style seldom directly correlates to freestyle success...recent exceptions: Snyder groomed from birth, JB freakish double, Cox just wildly atheltic for his weight,... and then theres, Gillman more relying on gas-tank and pace... think Metcalf) ... im tired of rambling but I wouldnt project him to win more than 2 matches. obviously Id prefer 8 golds... wait and see

You just made excuses for all of our top guys. That's dumb.

Snyder - groomed from birth - ok? So we're his brothers. He is a special talent and a product of our system.

JB - doesn't only win with doubles. Even if he did, that is a part of the American style. Way to not give him any credit.

Cox - he only wins because he is athletic? Jesus dude. That's ridiculous. He is a product of our system and focused primarily on folkstyle. He learned how to transition. That is skill and work ethic, not just athleticism

You just made excuses for all of our top guys. That's dumb.

Snyder - groomed from birth - ok? So we're his brothers. He is a special talent and a product of our system.

JB - doesn't only win with doubles. Even if he did, that is a part of the American style. Way to not give him any credit.

Cox - he only wins because he is athletic? Jesus dude. That's ridiculous. He is a product of our system and focused primarily on folkstyle. He learned how to transition. That is skill and work ethic, not just athleticism

I was implying these guys had something that set them apart from the run of the mill NCAA athlete turned world contender.

Snyder has been an international style beast since highschool and we once questioned will he even attend college or focus solely on his promising career as a Freestyler.

JB (one of the greatest of all time) unstoppable against anyone on the feet due to his patented blast double, he had limited international experience but his effective takedowns made him a force for years to come

Cox... i stand by "100% freak athlete", his quickness for the weight put him right up there with the best immediately.

What technique sets Gillman apart? He is a run of the mill NCAA athlete who cant take people down at will and hasnt been exposed to much international competition, he's also at a weight where 10 people could win it. Its tough as hell. I never said anyone was bad, but if you are expecting somebody to jump in with the best and win in their first opportunity they're going to need something special, and im simply doubting he is even head and shoulders above domestic competition much less world level.

(Yes I know he beat our former rep who has never done well at worlds.. guess that counts)

For some reason, Americans love bashing our team. Even now, when we have 5 returning medalists and 3 guys who made their first team.

Being realistic and bashing are far seperate things.

I hope every American wins gold, realistically 4 medals of any color is a win.

As an American I hope Gillman wins gold

Realistically he does not place.

All y'all are so "confrontational" that you don't even realize that you're agreeing with each other.  Chill people... 

There's no America bashing on this thread that I've seen, just a dose of "realism".  

Of course there's a chance.  Everyone has a "chance", but to Spladle's point about the "big 3", they have brought something or are made of something that has provided separation.  Another way to look at this:

a.) Snyder:  At this point, no one, not even the 2nd best in the USA, is within a Tech from him (a la Gadsen).  This is separation.

b.) Burroughs:  Even in his "crotchety old age" no one except for Dake is "close" to him, and Dake has International achievements that point to the fact that he also should be rated Top 20 in the world, if not Top 10.

c.) Cox:  His athleticism and unparalleled sweat glands have propelled him across many mats to victory.  His closest competition domestically is Taylor, who... yes... has now MUCH more than a Grand Prix title to his name (a la World Cup).  

For the "big 3", their chances are definitively greater than someone like Gilman, who is coming in relatively fresh and "inexperienced".  Now... any of those big 3 could have a bad day, get a bad draw, etc. etc. etc., and each walk away empty-handed.  It's just that their chances are perceivably better than a Gillman, Zain or Gwiz.  

want to see america bashing get on the thread where i predicted Zain would win it.

On that thread i think the sentiment was your bold prediction carried no weight, no facts, no nothing, you just said he would win blindly, risking nothing.... if he does win you'll relish in the light and bump the thread saying "I Called it" if he doesnt win you and everyone else will say "he wasnt supposed to" so it was just a meaningless statement, I think that's why peoplr took issue.

If your confidence is still high however I'd give you 4:1 up to $500 he doesnt win

Edit* i still hope he medals so took off the medal to medal .wager

Edited by spladle08