Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Does Gilman have a shot??

I'm an East Coast guy (NY without a real college team) and over the last few years I've not been a Gilman fan for his antics. That said, he had a dream destroyed at the NCAAS and he had the heart and guts to wrestle back for 3rd. I'm a Gilman fan now (as long as he saves his hardass stuff for the mat instead of talk). He has hardly been scouted. He has some of the best lightweight coaches in the USA. I wish well for him. I never thought that I would say that. Go get em, Gilman!

Gilman?    He is almost certainly going to be dismantled and sent home with a bruised ego and and lumped up face, with no medal in his gym bag.       

USA will have to do with the other members of the team and their efforts in quest of a spot on the team podium.    Gilman may not score a point.    

Fix beat Yatsenko so soundly in Juniors last year, I will go pure fanboy if he crushes Gillman, and call for Fix to wrestle seniors next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yatsenko also spent the last year training and competing in freestyle whereas Gilman was mostly focused on folk style until a few months ago, so I guess we'll have another data point on that whole debate tomorrow.

Yatsenko is no slouch, but the silver medal Euro performance is waaayyy over played. In an olympic qualifying year with the euro qualifier and world qualifiers to plan for, many teams sent their B and C guys to the Euro championships. Then, Yatsenko got a DREAM draw that put almost all of the top contenders in the other bracket. Don't get me wrong, it was a collar for Fix; but Yatsenko most likely isn't a genuine world title contender. Tomorrow's first round match will be a data point in comparing Fix and Gilman, but not necessarily in determining Gilman's upside. If he wins 1 or 2 in addition to beating Yatsenko, that will mean much more in my opinion.

Yatsenko is no slouch, but the silver medal Euro performance is waaayyy over played. In an olympic qualifying year with the euro qualifier and world qualifiers to plan for, many teams sent their B and C guys to the Euro championships. Then, Yatsenko got a DREAM draw that put almost all of the top contenders in the other bracket. Don't get me wrong, it was a collar for Fix; but Yatsenko most likely isn't a genuine world title contender. Tomorrow's first round match will be a data point in comparing Fix and Gilman, but not necessarily in determining Gilman's upside. If he wins 1 or 2 in addition to beating Yatsenko, that will mean much more in my opinion.

Thanks for the info, ive never looked into the performance just took it at face value, always good to get the back story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think, in this weight, it is about athleticism (conceding that compared to mere mortals all these guys are athletic). Fix has incredible  athleticism... his motion, the way he chains his moves together, his composure, his mat sense, his ability change direction, angles, it is just amazing. Always a step ahead of who he is wrestling. I see Gilman more along the line of Haze and Ramos, good grinders,  tough, could win any bout, but without the athleticism to get through an entire tournament like this. He has great coaching, but if you know the Brands, and watched any of their tape, those guys had skills beyond the stereotypical Iowa wrestler (especially Tom who learned early on just grinding won't work in an ugly loss to Smith). Not sure if Gilman has that. 

Gilman? He is almost certainly going to be dismantled and sent home with a bruised ego and and lumped up face, with no medal in his gym bag.

USA will have to do with the other members of the team and their efforts in quest of a spot on the team podium. Gilman may not score a point.

...yup! Didn't score a point!

Gilman? He is almost certainly going to be dismantled and sent home with a bruised ego and and lumped up face, with no medal in his gym bag.

USA will have to do with the other members of the team and their efforts in quest of a spot on the team podium. Gilman may not score a point.

Good thing you put 'almost' in there Cletus. Hehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk