Sign in to follow this  
GRAPLER

Suriano to Rutgers

Possibly waiting on the BigTen regarding an eligibility determination, maybe something else. Still holding out hope Nick is with Penn State in the Fall. I respect Rutgers for what they are doing with their program, but a transfer there doesn't make much sense. Suriano is extremely talented, could be a 3 time champ while being a member of 3 more team championships. This has to be an emotional decision most likely being driven by Dad butting heads with the coaches over something. In the end, hope everyone swallows some pride and works this out.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Possibly waiting on the BigTen regarding an eligibility determination, maybe something else. Still holding out hope Nick is with Penn State in the Fall. I respect Rutgers for what they are doing with their program, but a transfer there doesn't make much sense. Suriano is extremely talented, could be a 3 time champ while being a member of 3 more team championships. This has to be an emotional decision most likely being driven by Dad butting heads with the coaches over something. In the end, hope everyone swallows some pride and works this out.

Why couldn't he run the table for Rutgers?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a crummy situation regardless of what ends up happening. If Nick leaves at the last minute, the team is left high and dry with a hole at 125. If he stays, even by choice, it's awkward and the team's chemistry suffers unless Nick gets in front of this thing and talks to his teammates (and maybe puts something up for the fans). It's getting close to a lose-lose scenario.

I also wonder if the Penn State coaching staff are talking to Mejia. Iowa is stacked enough at the lightweights that Mejia may not have a spot; plus if he's going to greyshirt/has no NLI maybe he will see a potential fit in State College and can be convinced to commit a fourth time, lol.

Sounds like a crummy situation regardless of what ends up happening. If Nick leaves at the last minute, the team is left high and dry with a hole at 125. If he stays, even by choice, it's awkward and the team's chemistry suffers unless Nick gets in front of this thing and talks to his teammates (and maybe puts something up for the fans). It's getting close to a lose-lose scenario.

I also wonder if the Penn State coaching staff are talking to Mejia. Iowa is stacked enough at the lightweights that Mejia may not have a spot; plus if he's going to greyshirt/has no NLI maybe he will see a potential fit in State College and can be convinced to commit a fourth time, lol.

hmm mejia to PSU? (please excuse the language)

e49602af02368a5ab80639e9b862e7b8.gif

I haven't read enough about this to know, but is it only awkward from our perspectives? Do we really know how his teammates and coaches feel about him and his situation?

As to Mejia, I suspect he ends up at Iowa Central at some point, so Penn State, from my point of view, is not in the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't be akward. He will just give a Louden Swain speech about wrestling being an individual sport and climb the peg board and all will be fine.

The team had a hole at 125 at nationals last year too and I think they fared just fine. 

Curious, how many points did Suriano score in the 2017 NCAA Championships?  Oh, Zero.  Five returning national champions, carry the one with McKenna, huh, I think SIX may be the magic number for 2018 unless Suriano stays happy in the valley of State College, and then Penn State wins 7, that's right SEVEN NCAA titles.  Why in the world would Suriano want to leave that? With him or without him, the train is heading to victory.  #AllAboard!

tOSU has points to gain with Hayes, McKenna, Martin, NATO, and Moore. PSU mostly has points to lose, with the exception of 197 and Cortez. Maybe Nevills. I mean, you'd have to be a complete idiot not to see that. PSU also hasn't found a way to keep an entire team healthy in recent years. It's definitely up in the air with Nick gone.

Edited by LemonPie

PSU does have more points to lose at 5 weights, but that leaves the other 5 weights plus the huge head start.

PSU is the favorite.

Ohio State can improve at dramatically at 125, 141, 157, 165, and slightly at 197 and 184. They are likely to drop some points at 133, maybe 174 (I could see Bojo dropping to 3rd).

PSU without Suriano won't improve more than a point at 125, can jump at 133 and 141 and possibly 197 (any word on Cassar in the room? Heard he was fully healed - I'm a fan for sure)

It is PSUs to lose, but there is a path for success for Ohio State.

Nickal, Cenzo and Hall are all very likely finalists, but I doubt all 3 win types again. Too many guys that are on their level. They could do it of course.

Cassar's re-injury on that shoulder was 16-17 months ago plus we know he is doing camps now, so if he's not healed by now he will never be healed. I'm going with the former. If he is 100 percent I think he is too athletic for Cutch and wins the spot, but you never know. I place a high premium on the combination of skill + athleticism over skill + guts&determination. All else being equal the better athlete should probably win out. 

Cenzo is my favorite Penn State wrestler but I still find it hard to get on him to repeat. 165 is a loaded field and you know imar and massa are going to be ready for him. A refocused chance marstellar could be very tough as well.

That would make an amazing semi finals. What would be funny would be if the three Big10 wrestlers all swap wins with each other and Chance totally gets his act together and goes unbeaten and gets the #1 seed. 

Cenzo improved so markedly towards the tail end of the season that it's hard to know whether he's still on that learning curve or whether he has tapered off that improvement a bit. If the former, I could see him coming back and repeating with confidence. He just looked so strong and well-conditioned and was picking his spots so well. I would give the finals version of Cenzo against Imart 8 of 10 matches. It really wasn't close even without the stick.

Cenzo improved so markedly towards the tail end of the season that it's hard to know whether he's still on that learning curve or whether he has tapered off that improvement a bit. If the former, I could see him coming back and repeating with confidence. He just looked so strong and well-conditioned and was picking his spots so well. I would give the finals version of Cenzo against Imart 8 of 10 matches. It really wasn't close even without the stick.

He was well prepared for his semis and finals opponents.  You could tell he'd been trained in how to counter inside trips.  It was remarkable to see his adjustments from Big Tens to NCAA's.