Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

McKenna update

If it's any place other than Ohio State, I'd be surprised.  He was with all the Ohio State guys in Colorado Springs in a picture that Kyle Snyder posted.  Could be misleading but he was the only guy in the picture not affiliated with tOSU.

tOSU makes sense. If he's leaving Stanford, clearly his life priority is wrestling, not academics. If you're going to make that choice, wrestling with the reigning world champion at your weight and a national champ with freestyle aspirations right below you is hard to beat.

So what happens to Hayes?

tOSU makes sense. If he's leaving Stanford, clearly his life priority is wrestling, not academics. If you're going to make that choice, wrestling with the reigning world champion at your weight and a national champ with freestyle aspirations right below you is hard to beat.

So what happens to Hayes?

The belief has always been that McKenna would go 149, I believe.  So that would have Micah moving up to 157, closing that hole for Ohio State.

The belief has always been that McKenna would go 149, I believe. So that would have Micah moving up to 157, closing that hole for Ohio State.

Maybe. Hayes was struggling as of a few weeks ago, butnlikely was just some rust. They also have Racer at 157.

If McKenna is coming to tOSU, I'd like to see him at 141 for the first season.  Micah was fabulous at 149 last season.  He's not going to beat Zain and Sorenson is excellent but he is clearly the third best guy at the weight.  At 157, it gets tougher just because of the size adjustment.  Hayes can sit another year.  

McKenna 149, MiJo 157 is what fans have been saying on here but with freestyle switching to same day weigh-ins and heretofore unannounced new weights starting next year, where McKenna slots in is still an interesting question. McKenna is clearly focused on an international career if he's going to forgo an "Ivy+" degree. He's not making the move this late in his academic career to maximize his final two seasons; it's a life (for the foreseeable future) move. I don't know if 149 makes that much sense for him personally, although maybe it does for the team. Since it's McKenna making the decision for himself before choosing schools, I do wonder where he'll be. I bet it's 141, but I have zero insider knowledge. For as long as I've followed him, McKenna has been a cutter and has done best when he is big for his weight.

Logan made it pretty clear he wasn't confident in hayes's ability to make the line up when talking to askren a couple months back and that was before the rumors of McKenna joining the fray. I think a year of McKenna at 141 before him and Micah bump is a real possibility. McKenna at tosu makes them the slight favorites if suriano moves imo. Cassar could change my opinion on this if he comes back ready to go and vying for a top 5 finish.

Housebuye,  

What are you talking about Hayes struggling, that totally contradicts what the coaches are saying.  What I find interesting is that everyone says McKenna 141# even though he didn't AA last year.  McKenna is easily 10# heavier than Hayes.  It's amazing that tOSU fans are counting him out before Hayes even had a chance to compete in the room or make the podium at the NCAA Championship.

Having any of the 2 sit out a season is bad for the team,imo. 

Logan made it pretty clear he wasn't confident in hayes's ability to make the line up when talking to askren a couple months back and that was before the rumors of McKenna joining the fray. I think a year of McKenna at 141 before him and Micah bump is a real possibility. McKenna at tosu makes them the slight favorites if suriano moves imo. Cassar could change my opinion on this if he comes back ready to go and vying for a top 5 finish.

Logan statement was premature because Hayes was still doing rehab.  Several months later, the Steelwood radio said that Hayes was wrestling Logan tough and took Logan down a couple of times.

Housebuye,

What are you talking about Hayes struggling, that totally contradicts what the coaches are saying. What I find interesting is that everyone says McKenna 141# even though he didn't AA last year. McKenna is easily 10# heavier than Hayes. It's amazing that tOSU fans are counting him out before Hayes even had a chance to compete in the room or make the podium at the NCAA Championship.

Having any of the 2 sit out a season is bad for the team,imo.

Pulling for McKenna to join his FS coach at Lehigh. If he does choose tOSU, keep in mind he still has a RS available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pulling for McKenna to join his FS coach at Lehigh. If he does choose tOSU, keep in mind he still has a RS available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I highly doubt he red shirts this year. This is Ohio State's last chance to win a title for at least a couple years. Snyder, BoJo, Nato all graduating.

Next year, Martin, Pletcher, Mckenna, may all red shirt, and then in two years have a stellar team again. 

Not sure if that's the plan, but redshrting Mckenna makes no sense this year.

25 Nato, 33 Pletcher, 41 McKenna/Hayes, 49 McKenna/Hayes, 57 Micah, ? at 165, 74 BoJo, 84 Martin, 97 Moore, hvy Snyder.

possible that this is what we could see?

I was thinking of something along the lines of:

125: Cruz

133: Parker

141: Karam/Pomrinca

149: McKenna (or Schuyler)

157: Walter/Brown

165: Kutler

174: Preisch

184: Weiler

197: Jakobson

285: Wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk