Sign in to follow this  
dutchcountry7

One Match that Changes History

What single matches have been the biggest and if the result had gone differently would have drastically changed the sport or how we view athletes/teams?

Obviously, Dan Gable's loss is one that was significant and if he would have won he would have been undefeated.

Schultz / Banach. Assuming everything else would have played out the same Banach would have been 1st 4 timer. 

one that may not get as much attention...Neal / Lesnar. If Lesnar had won, Minnesota would have won team title instead of Iowa.  

Nah, even the official himself knows it was a missed call.

For the rules at the time, wasn't it the correct call, or at least open for interpretation by the ref? I seem to recall they clarified the control rules because of this match, but I might be misremembering. 

For the rules at the time, wasn't it the correct call, or at least open for interpretation by the ref? I seem to recall they clarified the control rules because of this match, but I might be misremembering. 

It was a few years ago obviously but I remember thinking it was a bad call and I remember the announcers commenting on it as well. He had one leg secured and he latched a hold of the opposite ankle from a sit right as the horn blew. 

His head was trapped. Anyway you are correct, the fact that the matched caused a rule change implies pretty strongly that the call was correct, it just happened to leave a lot of people irked. 

His head was trapped. Anyway you are correct, the fact that the matched caused a rule change implies pretty strongly that the call was correct, it just happened to leave a lot of people irked. 

Cool. That's what I thought. People, myself included were like, "How can that not be a takedown?" Well, it wasn't a takedown, in March 2012. I'm glad it is now, but in my opinion Logie Bear's first title is just as legitimate as, say Khinchegashvili's Olympic Gold. I know it's not the perfect analogy, but you could say both wins descended from technicalities in the rules. The major difference is, the scoreboard actually read in Stieber's favor (this is really besides the point, but I know someone is going to bring that up). 

Lee Kemp is still one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time--3 x World Champ, 1 x World Bronze and 1980 Olympian (and the favorite to win it).  He should have been the first four time champ but the official chose Chuck Yagla (a really great wrestler in his own right).  Nothing changed because of the official's decision but Jimmy Carter's boycott sure scrwed Kemp.  

Rohn and Lambrecht. If not for the big move at the end, Lambrecht wins in 'just another' blow out. Rohn turning the tables is one of the most exciting finishes ever and that match is now legendary.     

Unfortunately it did not push the rule makers to eliminate the Tech Fall that ends a match.

Keep counting and give extra points for 15 point margin but don't stop the match just because one is so far ahead. If you can't pin, you finish out the time. Maybe this would push more to learn how to pin an opponent knowing they can't end it early on points and the opponent just might turn them when they are so tired from all the takedowns or make a mistake.

Maybe not among the all-timers but could have potentially had a few big ones last year:

Joseph beating Martinez and ending his quest for 4 titles

Hall losing early and ending his ability to be undefeated

Suriano getting hurt and missing his chance for 4 (and potentially having something to do with his potential transfer)

Edited by 1032004

If Scott Owen doesn't get cradled by Alex Tirapelle in the semis, he could have won that match and faced off against Ryan Bertin in the finals.  Owen was 2-0 or 3-0 against him, giving Northern Illinois their first national champ and likely starting a recruiting run the likes of which have never been seen.  Ergo, one cradle prevented NIU from becoming the modern day Penn State.  Fate is a cruel, cruel mistress...