Sign in to follow this  
dutchcountry7

One Match that Changes History

Lee Kemp is still one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time--3 x World Champ, 1 x World Bronze and 1980 Olympian (and the favorite to win it).  He should have been the first four time champ but the official chose Chuck Yagla (a really great wrestler in his own right).  Nothing changed because of the official's decision but Jimmy Carter's boycott sure scrwed Kemp.  

I'd say Kemp's win over Gable at the Northern Open gave a lot of younger people encouragement.

Lee Kemp is still one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time--3 x World Champ, 1 x World Bronze and 1980 Olympian (and the favorite to win it).  He should have been the first four time champ but the official chose Chuck Yagla (a really great wrestler in his own right).  Nothing changed because of the official's decision but Jimmy Carter's boycott sure scrwed Kemp.  

I was thinking of Kemp - but also Dick Hutton, another guy who would have been a 4x champ except for a controversial ending to an NCAA finals' bout.  

Slay over Satiev in the 2000 Olympics. Satiev won the Olympics at 74kg in 1996, 2004 and 2008. Had he not lost that match he almost certainly would have won gold and become a 4x Olympic champion. Satiev won six world golds and three Olympic golds. Had he won in 2000 he would have been the second ever ten time world/Olympic freestyle wrestling champion. I guess.

spare me this tripe about Hall going undefeated. He didn't exactly Waltz through ncaas.

plus this thread is about one match not 2. Had Hall only lost in the big 10 finals, then it would fit this thread but he doesn't.

Too bad the Sanderson kid from Iowa State dropped an early match to Iowa's Paul Jenn. If not for that, I believe he would have gone on to amount to something as a wrestler and/or coach. Unfortunately, he pretty much faded into obscurity after his redshirt season.

& failed as a coach & recruiter

plus this thread is about one match not 2. Had Hall only lost in the big 10 finals, then it would fit this thread but he doesn't.

Actually, 3 as Hall had a loss early in the season when he was still RS, but is officially on his record. But, for all we know, if Hall wasn't RS during that tourney he probably would have had more focus, like Sanderson would have had against Jenn.

Unfortunately it did not push the rule makers to eliminate the Tech Fall that ends a match.

Keep counting and give extra points for 15 point margin but don't stop the match just because one is so far ahead. If you can't pin, you finish out the time. Maybe this would push more to learn how to pin an opponent knowing they can't end it early on points and the opponent just might turn them when they are so tired from all the takedowns or make a mistake.

If I recall - the move wasn't late (in response to KTG) - Rohn had him on his back for over a minute before he pinned him. Also - why would this match have anything to do with a tech? Honest question b/c was Lambrecht up by 10 at the time? I don't think it was closer to a tech than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

14-2 before the escape.

A tilt or two more as from earlier and it would have been over.

Going back to when techs came in- the reason they terminated was to prevent major blowouts as was happening earlier. 

To my memory- Wisconsin was one of the main 'offenders'. They would be ahead by 20 or more and just go for another snag single, often without an attempt at a fall.

14-2 before the escape.

A tilt or two more as from earlier and it would have been over.

Going back to when techs came in- the reason they terminated was to prevent major blowouts as was happening earlier. 

To my memory- Wisconsin was one of the main 'offenders'. They would be ahead by 20 or more and just go for another snag single, often without an attempt at a fall.

That was Hellickson's fault...he believed that the take-down was the entertaining force for increase in fanfare and winning.

Now...if we had just worked those riding/breakdowns and pinning a bit more.......sigh

fwiw...I did try to pin but those guys were so dang strong back then.

By the rules at the time, Stieber won the match. They changed the rules the next year in reaction to the Oliver/Stieber match. 

That match lead to two rule changes. Consider the earlier exchange that would have been a TD for Stieber following year, due to the change involving "reaction" time.