Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Kendric Maple freestyle potential

Like everyone else, I was very impressed with his first match with Stieber at the trials. Now that he's training with James Green and JB, he literally has the best partners he can have while still living in the US. It's notable that he hasn't ever spent much time in a world class training environment until now. Is he the next star for us?

He has all the tools. He is the tallest and longest 132 I've ever seen. He is taller than JB. He has a style that takes advantage of that freaky length and reach too.

With the new weights and same day weigh-ins coming soon, maybe Logan won't even be at his weight, since I don't think he can make 132 with same day weigh-ins and be effective. Meanwhile, Maple apparently doesn't cut that much. One of his relatives posted that he was in the low 140s at NCAAs his senior year.

He's the new national team member I have my eye on the most.

I really don't see Logiebear staying at 61 all the way to 2020. I think this is a hellacious cut for him and eventually he calls it a day at some point. And looking at the current landscape you would say that Maple would most likely be the heir apparent. But sometimes I wonder if Maple is destined to have a career like a Dake, or a Taylor where he is stuck at number 2 on the ladder, and Father Time eventually runs him down. ( I'm not saying that Dake and Taylor never make the team, I just used their names because people are familiar with their situation ).

Anyway, I think if Maple were to make a team he would do well, and I think it would probably be a good idea to see him compete overseas, and maybe give him a match or two at the World Cup.

That being said, with all the talent coming up through the ranks, I think we will see a lot of turnover of at the various weights, with only a few holding onto their spots for a number of years.

How much will he be training directly with Burroughs, I wonder, given the nearly 30 lbs. difference in weight classes?

Enough to be influenced. He stated in his most recent interview that he trains with JB and Green. JB has a lot of the basic tools that Maple sorely lacks, like keeping position well in freestyle, which Maple acknowledged was totally new to him.

Hate to rain on the parade here, but IMO Maple isn't even in the conversation as our "next star."  Maple is what, 1 year, maybe 1.5 years younger than Logan at most?  We have much younger guys projecting to the same weight range with more international pedigree, on much steeper development curves.  

My money would be on him hanging it up at least a couple of years before Logan does.  

Hate to rain on the parade here, but IMO Maple isn't even in the conversation as our "next star." Maple is what, 1 year, maybe 1.5 years younger than Logan at most? We have much younger guys projecting to the same weight range with more international pedigree, on much steeper development curves.

My money would be on him hanging it up at least a couple of years before Logan does.

Maple is either a year older or the same age as Logan. Maple graduated hs in 09, Logan in 10.

Despite some posts about his lighter weight, I'm very skeptical that Maple can make 61kg if it goes to same day weighins.  He may not be cutting Steiber level weight but imo he's big for that weight. 

I think he's cutting at least as much as Stieber.  He's huge.