Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Freestyle, One match for all the marbles - Who'ya choose?

Weight doesn't matter - we'll equalize it somehow. But you have one match for all the marbles - gold - world champ, doesn't matter. Just one match you have to win to be "the best". Anyone, any weight - somehow normalized for head to head competition.

I choose Osamu Watanabe from Japan. 186-0 and never taken down in a match. You can have the field and it includes amazing talent - but he is the guy I would choose.

What happens if your selection is the loser?  If it's "nothing", and you just lose... then I'll pick Tommy Bitknowski from Peoria, IL.  Tommy tried freestyle back in the mid-90's to augment his development and aspirations of cracking the varsity squad.  Little did he know that his high school wouldn't offer a full roster for any meet or tourney, so he was automatically varsity.  Tommy went 10-17 his senior year... went to college, married well above his league, and now is secretly the most wealthy Bitknowski to have graduated in '94 from Peoria High.  Tommy rights poetry for a living, and lives with his overly gorgeous wife and family in Saskatoon.  

If you must win, or else... then whoever did beat that guy before his records were kept, is the guy that I'm picking.  ;-)

Well I think we are looking at one of the guys right now, and that's Jordan Burroughs. Prior to Rio, he was pretty much a sure thing. Even if he was down late in a match he, and his speed found a way.

Bouvasir Satiev ?

Arsen Fadzaev?

Sergei Beloglazov?

Valentin Yordanov?  (Jordanov)

Of course, The Great One was quite the prime time guy---see  

not sure the USA had ever defeated the USSR up til that point in a dual meet.

Karelin greco. 

Freestyle - Smith, S. Belaglasov, Watanebe, B. Satiev, M.Khadartsev, Y. Takada, Tedishivilli, are all solid picks for different reasons. 

If you want a single tournament performance than Yarygin in the 72 Olympics is hard to beat. 7 matches, 7 falls, total time about 18 minutes.  

Maharbek Khadartsev. Until the USSR broke up he was almost unstoppable. He lost once to Jim Scherr. I put Fadzaev right up there too. But Fadzaev lost to Chris Wilson twice so it's about even. I think B Satiev is conceivably even more amazing.

Maharbek Khadartsev. Until the USSR broke up he was almost unstoppable. He lost once to Jim Scherr. I put Fadzaev right up there too. But Fadzaev lost to Chris Wilson twice so it's about even. I think B Satiev is conceivably even more amazing.

Medved is the most accomplished of them all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk