CoachWrestling

If we can contend like this at Senior Worlds soon, will you guys...

The reason we're doing so well at the World Level has nothing to do with Folk and everything to do with how our elite train at a younger age.  Imagine how much better we'd be if we continued to tweak folk.  Is holding an ankle with a boot in while riding the hips really making our best wrestlers even better?

I have no answer for the Deakin success but Fix, Stevenson, Hall, Valencia have had a huge amount of international experience + team USA support/Training, dont credit their highschool season with their successes. Its the extra work, and look how they blast the rest of our domestic athletes without the same experience.... I dont mind collegiate wrestling but to think that not practicing freestyle breeds better freestylers is a little silly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by spladle08

Bringing back Cadet Worlds has made a huge difference. Our kids are getting elite coaching and competition at a younger age. That's not even our #1's, the guys right behind them are training to make world teams so they are getting better also. It's trickledown economics.

Bringing back Cadet Worlds has made a huge difference. Our kids are getting elite coaching and competition at a younger age. That's not even our #1's, the guys right behind them are training to make world teams so they are getting better also. It's trickledown economics.

Has a LITTLE to do with it.  I was going to write a separate post, and I may still.  But we all need to send a hearty thank you and congratulations to the vision of Zeke Jones.  The very first thing he did as head coach of the Freestyle team was getting the camps in order for the cadet and junior level kids to train alongside the Senior world teamers.  

I thought it would be 2024 before we saw the true fruition of the work, but I might be one cycle off.  No matter what, the US is judged by its Olympic medal count.  Since I don't know what the weights will be - but we do know it will be only 6 weights - look at the depth

57 ish - Fix, Lee, Gilman, Tomasello, Suriano

64 ish - Deakin, Yianni, Zain, Nolf, Green, Mckee, Stieber

75 ish - Burroughs, Dake, Dieringer, A. Valencia, Marsteller, Pico?

84 ish - Hall, Nickal, Taylor, Cox, Zahid

97 ish - Snyder, Snyder, Snyder, Moore, Snyder

125 ish - Steveson, Bradley, Gwiz, 

Edited by vhsalum

+++++++++++

lol

Watching all the USA matches it seems like our guys are just killing it with our short offense. The foreigners don't seem to have much defense for our snaps, drags, shucks, and slide-by's.  These are skills that are utilized in folkstyle.  Or maybe are athleticism and conditioning is just that much better this year.

Has a LITTLE to do with it.  I was going to write a separate post, and I may still.  But we all need to send a hearty thank you and congratulations to the vision of Zeke Jones.  The very first thing he did as head coach of the Freestyle team was getting the camps in order for the cadet and junior level kids to train alongside the Senior world teamers.  

I thought it would be 2024 before we saw the true fruition of the work, but I might be one cycle off.  No matter what, the US is judged by its Olympic medal count.  Since I don't know what the weights will be - but we do know it will be only 6 weights - look at the depth

57 ish - Fix, Lee, Gilman, Tomasello, Suriano

64 ish - Deakin, Yianni, Zain, Nolf, Green, Mckee, Stieber

75 ish - Burroughs, Dake, Dieringer, A. Valencia, Marsteller, Pico?

84 ish - Hall, Nickal, Taylor, Cox, Zahid

97 ish - Snyder, Snyder, Snyder, Moore, Snyder

125 ish - Steveson, Bradley, Gwiz, 

Not going to disagree, obviously high level training at a younger age is very good. Which of our cadet and junior team members and medalists were at the OTC camps before they were on a world team? Just curious as I only know of Hall, but I'm sure there are others.

Watching all the USA matches it seems like our guys are just killing it with our short offense. The foreigners don't seem to have much defense for our snaps, drags, shucks, and slide-by's.  These are skills that are utilized in folkstyle.  Or maybe are athleticism and conditioning is just that much better this year.

We got some freaky athletes this go around. 

Can you describe Iowa style? 

He can speak for himself, but the way you phrased that question, Freeze, I thought of the famous Supreme Court case where one of the justices (Potter I think) was asked to define a certain something that shall go without being named here so as to not evoke any bad images and he replied "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it". 

Not going to disagree, obviously high level training at a younger age is very good. Which of our cadet and junior team members and medalists were at the OTC camps before they were on a world team? Just curious as I only know of Hall, but I'm sure there are others.

All of the above named.  Include Deakin, Heinselman in that mix as well.

More truth to this that some would like to admit. Plus we have some freaky athletes. 

Actually.  I wouldn't say that at all.

We're winning these matches based on American - "Iowa Style" grinding.  I'm talking the old school Gable-coached, McIlravy, Ironside - you actually try to attack style wrestling.

These 3 minute periods are excellent for us.  The biggest difference?  All of these kids have a much larger and better freestyle base.  Exposing them to senior level athletes and getting them international competition is giving them a feel for the Russians, Azeris, Iranians, et al.  

Fix, took what?  ONE shot all day?  Gable is snapping these dudes into another dimension, Deakin just keeps coming and Zahid just keeps shooting.  

Let's give credit where it's due.  This is American wrestling at its finest and we are absolutely out-pacing these Euros to death!

He can speak for himself, but the way you phrased that question, Freeze, I thought of the famous Supreme Court case where one of the justices (Potter I think) was asked to define a certain something that shall go without being named here so as to not evoke any bad images and he replied "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it". 

I think Deakin, Moore, and little bit of Valencia have a similar style to "Iowa". 

Were they all at the OTC BEFORE they even made a world team? Obviously they were there for camp after they were on the team.

Jesus. Yes. that's what I said.  They were at camps at the OTC BEFORE they made a world team.  Zeke did a REALLY good job of identifying world level talent and having them come to camp as soon as possible.

excuse me.  Kollin Moore is the only exception.  But that dude is a freak.

I think Deakin, Moore, and little bit of Valencia have a similar style to "Iowa". 

Z. Valencia is a Zeke style wrestler. Seriously. The Monster Garage kids were raised more Iowa style, their room was like that, but when they got older they kind of went their own way. Pico if he had gone college seemed like a good fit for Iowa. Z. Valencia is a Zeke wrestler as I mentioned and seems perfect for what Zeke does. Anthony might have been a better fit at Illinois much like Imar. It seems as though Zeke, in folkstyle, wants Anthony to be Zahid. Brothers, very close, but totally different wrestlers.