CoachWrestling

If we can contend like this at Senior Worlds soon, will you guys...

I don't think Deakin will make 66kg in 4 years.  The guy is extremely big (5 11" ish) for the weight class already, and still growing.  He'll be up at least one weight class by then.

it's all kind of moot because they kids are the ones that are going to eventually cause the transition. they want to compete internationally and recognize that having folkstye as their "base" rather than freestyle or greco puts that at a disadvantage due to their competitors being "native" to the international styles. 

the fact that some americans are able to overcome that disadvantage and win world medals does not mean that the disadvantage no longer exists or that results would not improve even further if high schools and colleges in the US switches from folk to free (or greco).

I imagine the NAIA or some JuCos may be the first to switch. women's wrestling in college is already all freestyle for the most part (where it exists). 

I have no answer for the Deakin success but Fix, Stevenson, Hall, Valencia have had a huge amount of international experience + team USA support/Training, dont credit their highschool season with their successes. Its the extra work, and look how they blast the rest of our domestic athletes without the same experience.... I dont mind collegiate wrestling but to think that not practicing freestyle breeds better freestylers is a little silly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've never heard that take, the not practicing freestyle makes one better at it.    Where is that being suggested?   

OP to answer your question, that is a huge "IF" and as stated above, 1 amazing performance does not a trend make.      I for one believe the folkstyle culture helps the competitor when they compete in freestyle so I'm not in any hurry to have things changed.    

I've never heard that take, the not practicing freestyle makes one better at it. Where is that being suggested?

OP to answer your question, that is a huge "IF" and as stated above, 1 amazing performance does not a trend make. I for one believe the folkstyle culture helps the competitor when they compete in freestyle so I'm not in any hurry to have things changed.

Yeah folkstyle definitely helps thats why since we are the only country who practices it we dominate the world competitions yearly..... obviously wrestling freestyle year round will make us more competitive 0 debate

Yeah folkstyle definitely helps thats why since we are the only country who practices it we dominate the world competitions yearly..... obviously wrestling freestyle year round will make us more competitive 0 debate

You don't have to debate it if you see no reason for it, but I'm not the creator of the topic.   We usually debate here on the boards.  

You don't have to debate it if you see no reason for it, but I'm not the creator of the topic. We usually debate here on the boards.

You cant debate an obvious situation. Example: would it be beneficial to practice the breast-stroke for the majority of the year if you know to be known as the best, and represent your country at the most elite level, you have to swim the backstroke? Especially if every other country only practices the backstroke?.... (if youre struggling change breast-stroke to folkstyle and....)

Again i wrestled from second grade to college, all 3 styles and enjoyed all the experiences, and still enjoy watching, but as far as arguing that not being a freestyle oriented country doesnt hurt the quality of our freestyle wrestling is just absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by spladle08

You cant debate an obvious situation. Example: would it be beneficial to practice the breast-stroke for the majority of the year if you know to be known as the best, and represent your country at the most elite level, you have to swim the backstroke? Especially if every other country only practices the backstroke?.... (if youre struggling change breast-stroke to folkstyle and....)

Again i wrestled from second grade to college, all 3 styles and enjoyed all the experiences, and still enjoy watching, but as far as arguing that not being a freestyle oriented country doesnt hurt the quality of our freestyle wrestling is just absolutely ridiculous.

Wow, that's a lot of wrestling!  

If we discount my post collegiate wrestling you've got me by a couple years.    Impressive.    

I've observed in my time it's good to take breaks or to even play other sports during wrestling practice in order to prevent burnout and for mental break.  I couldn't imagine only focusing on a single style of wrestling and not other styles like Sombo or Turkish or Judo, folkstyle, etc.   I'd think it would get very boring and burnout would occur.       I've heard stories of Alexander Karelin, the greatest greco wrestler in modern history was also a freestyler as late as juniors.     Kind of like your back stroke/breast stroke analogy.       I might have used the long jump 100 and 200 of Cael Lewis to make the point but yours seems works just fine too.      Disappointing you don't want to debate this, but I do respect your wishes.    I'll just leave you be and continue with the others here who are open to debate.  

Cheers

Wow, that's a lot of wrestling!

If we discount my post collegiate wrestling you've got me by a couple years. Impressive.

I've observed in my time it's good to take breaks or to even play other sports during wrestling practice in order to prevent burnout and for mental break. I couldn't imagine only focusing on a single style of wrestling and not other styles like Sombo or Turkish or Judo, folkstyle, etc. I'd think it would get very boring and burnout would occur. I've heard stories of Alexander Karelin, the greatest greco wrestler in modern history was also a freestyler as late as juniors. Kind of like your back stroke/breast stroke analogy. I might have used the long jump 100 and 200 of Cael Lewis to make the point but yours seems works just fine too. Disappointing you don't want to debate this, but I do respect your wishes. I'll just leave you be and continue with the others here who are open to debate.

Cheers

You're fun

Could training with Andrew Howe, Jason Welch and Cody Brewer have anything to do with? I'd say yes.

Yeah I have no clue of his training situation , freestyle experience, support system, etc... I was just implying I've never been a fan of the "folkstyle wrestling doesnt slow our freestyle development" argument.

realistically, many of our cadet and junior stars will fade out durign there 4/5 years of collegiate folkstyle while there international counterparts are coming of age in the freestyle system and competing agaisnt the worlds best. Yes, I know this did not happen with kyle Snyder but he is not the norm. 

Yeah I have no clue of his training situation , freestyle experience, support system, etc... I was just implying I've never been a fan of the "folkstyle wrestling doesnt slow our freestyle development" argument.

Sure, I hear you.

I will disagree with you on Am. Folk not having an impact upon American results. One thing I constantly see is Americans lauding the Cadet and Juniors for their success, and they should. However, it's that transition to Seniors where we should all be focusing our attention to see what impact not wrestling Free and G-R full-time is doing to our guys. The results drastically decrease on the Senior level and the best wrestling countries in the world (Russia, Iran, Azerbaijan, etc.) continue to dominate, while American fans are left scratching their heads as to what happened from Juniors to Seniors.

I'm a big believer in changing it up and allowing the wrestler a mental break or to try different things.  Imagine if Michael Phelps were have been told to not focus on the back stroke because it will hamper his butterfly or his freestyle.    The greatest Olympian in the modern era would be someone entirely different.   Yes he's an exception, is as Snyder, but Olympic champions are the exception, not the norm.      Besides, our guys  get plenty of freestyle during the off season.        The emphasis has now been placed on age group development and it is performing even better than we could have expected.    The transition to senior level appears to be working as well.  We send a team to World's with some of the best talent we've had in years, boasting several world level medalists.    It appears to be working.   

If by 'like this' you mean win Senior worlds with multiple champs, then the answer is an obvious yes.  But that seems like a bridge to cross when you get there (or when you never do).  If we never get there the main reason is probably the way we train freestyle.