• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 FreezeWrestling

FreezeWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:08 AM

He is will be the greatest HWT the United States has ever seen. He will dominate NCAA and he will be beating Gwiz within the next two years and WILL win the 2020 olympics. Remember, he is only 16/17. 

When was the last time he was beat in any type of wrestling match?

#2 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:29 AM

Easy tiger.  I seem to remember a dude named Dom Bradley winning JR World's, then sitting a year behind a returning NCAA Champ.  He finished 3rd and 4th at NCAA's and has never made it to Senior Worlds or the Olympics yet.  Lot's of things happen in life.  I take nothing away from Gable; awesome accomplishment.  But people always discover there is more to life than wrestling, some just discover it sooner.  As a wrestling fan, I hope he does what you claim.

#3 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:30 AM

Easy tiger.  I seem to remember a dude named Dom Bradley winning JR World's, then sitting a year behind a returning NCAA Champ.  He finished 3rd and 4th at NCAA's and has never made it to Senior Worlds or the Olympics yet.  Lot's of things happen in life.  I take nothing away from Gable; awesome accomplishment.  But people always discover there is more to life than wrestling, some just discover it sooner.  As a wrestling fan, I hope he does what you claim.

He won every match 2-1, I'm sure. 

Anyone but Heil '18

#4 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:33 AM

He won every match 2-1, I'm sure. 

Ah, the old "not winning pretty enough" complaint.  He WON JR World's; what did you do, bootsniffer?

• krippler likes this

#5 maolsen

maolsen

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:47 AM

Ah, the old "not winning pretty enough" complaint. He WON JR World's; what did you do, bootsniffer?

Yes, and that is awesome, but 17 year old Steveson just dominated junior worlds. He's going to have a hell of a career.
  • cjc007 likes this

#6 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:47 AM

I wonder how a freestyle match would go between Gable and Tony Nelson right now.

#7 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

Ah, the old "not winning pretty enough" complaint.  He WON JR World's; what did you do, bootsniffer?

He was older when he won and didn't have the same track record that Gable did.  I would say Gable is already the favorite to make the 2020 team in the U.S. and one of the favorites to win the olympics in 2020 (behind Akgul, Pietreshvili, and maybe a couple others).  

The predictions by OP are not outlandish at all.  Not after today.

Edited by Billyhoyle, 02 August 2017 - 04:51 AM.

#8 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

I'm just saying...

Gable feels different.   And seriously, you got excited over Eierman beating Dom Latona.  And now's the time you wanna be reserved? 

Edited by LemonPie, 02 August 2017 - 04:52 AM.

• tigerfan9311, wrestlingphish and PhiferFuqua like this

Anyone but Heil '18

#9 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

Haha.  Fair point.

#10 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:57 AM

Gable could probably beat Dom Bradley already. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#11 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:59 AM

It's scary to think that this guy is going to wrestle high schoolers next year. What's the point?

• krippler and GranbyTroll like this

#12 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

He should go the Snyder route and move to Colorado. There's no reason to steamroll everyone in in Minnesota for another year.

• krippler and hammerlockthree like this

#13 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

The only thing about Gable is that he should go seniors next year for sure. I hope the coaches do not do what they did to Snyder. The only difference is Olympic champ Varner was waiting and was beating Snyder at the OTC. But Gwiz does not have what we need at heavyweight in comparison. With the right training he could win seniors next year if he leaves high school and moves to the OTC. If not Gwiz will hold the spot another year. Gwiz only beat him by 3 points 3 weeks ago! Move to OTC Gable!

#14 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

I think the Kyle Snyder route is something that he and his coaches/family should definitely consider. I would say this about Gable, he is an active Heavyweight, he's quick and has the offense of a lighter weight. He also has the strong hips needed for defense. I'm not sure if he's much of a thrower, but with the ability he has shown he might not need to be. As it sits right now he looks to be the complete package. Or in a Baseball analogy he would be a five tool player.
As for his projected future, like the song said, "the future is so bright he has to wear shades." Now whether or not that comes to fruition is still to be determined.
I do think that Gable's athleticism, and offense set him apart for Dom Bradley, so I am not sure that these two are completely comparable. As far as Gwiz, Nelson, Telford and the others possibly standing in his way, I think if Gable can handle their size and strength, and put points on the board against them, he very well may be the future at this weight.
As for Gable becoming the best Heavyweight of all time, that would be truly spectacular, and USA Wrestling could certainly use another star in it's line up. However, Baumgartner was around for eons, and has like 13 World and Olympic medals to his name, so I think it highly unlikely for that to be duplicated now days, especially with MMA offering a lucrative career for some, and the talent that USA Wrestling is now producing. But heck, go Gable, shoot for the stars, and hopefully he does become the best ever. Go USA Wrestling, and Congrats to Gable.

#15 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

So you need to be a world champ to critique these days? Guess we should all just close our accounts then...

#16 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

The only thing about Gable is that he should go seniors next year for sure. I hope the coaches do not do what they did to Snyder. The only difference is Olympic champ Varner was waiting and was beating Snyder at the OTC. But Gwiz does not have what we need at heavyweight in comparison. With the right training he could win seniors next year if he leaves high school and moves to the OTC. If not Gwiz will hold the spot another year. Gwiz only beat him by 3 points 3 weeks ago! Move to OTC Gable!

I disagree. He's still cadet eligible right now. Give him at least one more year against age level competition. If he runs the table again, then it's probably time to re-evaluate. Plus by all accounts, he's not beating Gwiz right now although they are close. Don't rush him. 

#17 pjm46

pjm46

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:51 AM

I disagree. He's still cadet eligible right now. Give him at least one more year against age level competition. If he runs the table again, then it's probably time to re-evaluate. Plus by all accounts, he's not beating Gwiz right now although they are close. Don't rush him.

Agreed. I'd like to see Him in Senior level event or 2 during the year but if Gwiz is getting the better of him in the room let him have at least one run at JRs when he's actually eligible.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#18 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

Steveson is the real deal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#19 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,981 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

I was holding my cards on him until this tournament. He needs a little 'polish' and tactical work (he is 17? duh!), but I am sold. We finally have another heavy to count on for hopefully a couple of Olympic cycles.

• spladle08, pjm46 and cjc007 like this

#20 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

Any chance he'll enter Midlands? Would love to see him win it as a high schooler. Ever done before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users