Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

last time we won junior team title

read we last won it in 1984. found these results. looks like Russia amongst others did not participate, event was held in US so politics I assume.

48.0 kg Bollin, Chris Gold

52.0 kg Baze, Corey Silver

56.0 kg Chertow, Ken Gold

60.0 kg Fisher, John Gold

65.0 kg Bernstein, Len Gold

70.0 kg no medal

75.0 kg Geneser, Chris Gold

81.0 kg Ginther, John Gold

87.0 kg Williams, Dave Silver

>87.0 kg Ellis, Jeff Gold

This year's team earned every point they got, against the entire world.  Kudos to them, their accomplishments, and their futures.  Now... those moving onto Seniors, help those up and coming juniors take your spot... those coming back next year, keep it coming!

I believe that in 1984 Juniors was high school only and Espoir was what we now call Juniors and I think they had Espoir worlds every other year (1983, 1985, 1987) and the Espoir world cup the even years (1984, 1986, 1988).

Fun fact: in 1983 John Smith took a bronze in Espoir worlds at 62kg and Arsen Fadzaev won the gold even though he was 1983 senior world champ and would go on to win the 1985 senior world championship. 

Fun fact: in 1983 John Smith took a bronze in Espoir worlds at 62kg and Arsen Fadzaev won the gold even though he was 1983 senior world champ and would go on to win the 1985 senior world championship. 

Didn't John win the bronze in 1985? I don't think he competed in 1983.

Was '84 the ONLY other time we won it? Obviously with no Russia there in '84 it wasn't as difficult as it could have been but just think how much more difficult it was for our guys this year even if Russia was there in '84. Of the 5 countries Steveson had to wrestle 3 of them (Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia) wouldn't have even had a chance to be there. I think the break up of the Soviet Union is greatly underrated in terms of how much more difficult it's become to win a world title. It's why I feel Burroughs easily deserves to be in the conversation of best ever from the US. It's an entirely different playing field. That said hats off to our wrestlers and coaches, an awesome accomplishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was '84 the ONLY other time we won it? Obviously with no Russia there in '84 it wasn't as difficult as it could have been but just think how much more difficult it was for our guys this year even if Russia was there in '84. Of the 5 countries Steveson had to wrestle 3 of them (Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia) wouldn't have even had a chance to be there. I think the break up of the Soviet Union is greatly underrated in terms of how much more difficult it's become to win a world title. It's why I feel Burroughs easily deserves to be in the conversation of best ever from the US. It's an entirely different playing field. That said hats off to our wrestlers and coaches, an awesome accomplishment.

Completely agree. Look at Hall's 74 kg. bracket. Uzbekistan, Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and Latvia. Eleven wrestlers where in the past it was one. Unreal!

1978 the USA Greco Team won the Jr Worlds.

1978 the USA Greco Team won the Jr Worlds.

was not aware of that, pretty cool.

looked it up on uww database, Famiano is the only name I recognized as far as senior level success later. know much about other guys on that team?

was not aware of that, pretty cool.

looked it up on uww database, Famiano is the only name I recognized as far as senior level success later. know much about other guys on that team?

There's a Bigelbach ( Mark I believe) who was a good young wrestler from Minnesota- I believe his son has been doing well. 

I saw a Yates in there....if he was the Mike Yates who I know then he ended up wrestling for the Illini and was 5th in the Big Tens back in 82.

The "Gose" kid might be Todd Guse from Minnesota ( funny how they ended up coming from MN) who also wrestled for the Gophers.

Edited by BadgerMon

Jr Worlds are way tougher today for all of the reasons listed above and the fact that Jr's in 1984 was high school aged so half way between Cadet and Junior today. Today winners of Jr Worlds and medalists have a very good track record moving on to senior world success. If you pull up the Junior worlds from even a few years back you see that the medalists are beginning to represent their countries and medal in senior worlds. 

Take the 2014 junior worlds for example. Three medalists went on to win senior level world medals. Yazdanie (silver and gold), Snyder (gold and gold), Karimi (Bronze). And many others were on the senior level teams, placed but did not medal.

This was much rarer back in the 1980s.