Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

The Real Suriano Story

Suriano is from a very tight Italian family. From the moment he stepped on campus, he was uncomfortable. In the room before practice when guys were goofing around, Suriano would not join in. He kept to himself. He never fit in.

Not getting a complete release so he could compete immediately for Rutgers was not a Cael decision. It came from the AD who did not want to set a precedent. If Suriano was given what wants, then all future PSU transfers would have to be given the same. Otherwise Penn State would end up in court and be sued for discrimination; especially if the next transfer was a minority. The university's legal team was involved in he decision.

Sorry folks but this is what it is.

Suriano is from a very tight Italian family. From the moment he stepped on campus, he was uncomfortable. In the room before practice when guys were goofing around, Suriano would not join in. He kept to himself. He never fit in.

Not getting a complete release so he could compete immediately for Rutgers was not a Cael decision. It came from the AD who did not want to set a precedent. If Suriano was given what wants, then all future PSU transfers would have to be given the same. Otherwise Penn State would end up in court and be sued for discrimination; especially if the next transfer was a minority. The university's legal team was involved in he decision.

Sounds like they're going to have to give the AD an offer he can't refuse.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Thank you.  

I call BS. Schools decide on a case by case all the time when deciding on whether to oppose a waiver to a league rule or grant full releases, as the case may be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

Bull****. If CS wanted to grant full release, it would be done. He made that program what it is, the AD wouldn't step on his toes.

Disgraceful.

I disagree. At the end of the day a coach's direct superior is their AD. If this AD was so much under the control of Cael Sanderson, there wouldn't have been a delay in his contract. Cael doesn't own PSU. He's an employee of PSU and is beholden to whatever the university ultimately decides, just like JRob was beholden to whatever Minnesota ultimately decided.

Steve Mocco at Iowa is a completely different story. When he went in he got a promise to release him if he wanted to transfer to another school. When he said he did Iowa honored their word.

Edited by WillieBoy

I disagree. At the end of the day a coach's direct superior is their AD. If this AD was so much under the control of Cael Sanderson, there wouldn't have been a delay in his contract. Cael doesn't own PSU. He's an employee of PSU and is beholden to whatever the university ultimately decides, just like JRob was beholden to whatever Minnesota ultimately decided.

oh wait, hold the phone, stop the clock, BigtenFanboy disagrees! The self proclaimed thoughtless sycophant of by far the most dominant conference, not even team, has something to say. I'm all ears....

oh wait, hold the phone, stop the clock, BigtenFanboy disagrees! The self proclaimed thoughtless sycophant of by far the most dominant conference, not even team, has something to say. I'm all ears....

Wow, someone's a bit sensitive here.

Are you saying you think that Cael is above the AD at PSU? Or above the PSU admin? Now before you get your panties all tied up in a knot, I'm not saying that's what you're saying... I'm asking if that's what you're saying.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Where is Tbar and Flying Tiger on this one?? I want to see if they all have the same story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get it, Rutgers is way more Italian so he would fit in?  Would he goof around before the Rutgers practice, or do they not goof around?  Couldn't he have asked Vinccenzo Joseph to goof around with him?

I'm calling BS.  PSU was worried about a potential hypothetical race-based lawsuit in the future so they are screwing this kid's chance to go to a school where he will be more comfortable and fits in better?  That's about as moronic as it gets, and if true indicates a level of dysfunction and dumbness at PSU that few schools could match. But hey, this is also the school that harbored a pedophile for years so it wouldn't tarnish its sterling football reputation, so I guess anything's on the table.

Where is Tbar and Flying Tiger on this one?? I want to see if they all have the same story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't commented because what I have been reading out of Rutgers doesn't make a lot of sense. They claim he was released to Rutgers yet somehow Sanderson is still blocking Suriano from losing a year under the BigTen transfer rules. What I suspect has actually happened is that Suriano was released to any program outside the BigTen. That would make a lot more sense out of everything I've been reading.

Personally, I say give him a full release and let him try to get a waiver. Hate to lose Nick but if he really wants to leave, let him go home to compete for Rutgers.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Part of me also has to wonder how this kid is going to perform at PSU in the future with all this baggage now out in public.  Perhaps the coaches have Suriano's best interests at heart and understand something he doesn't, but how do they convince him and his family of this?  If part of the issue is weight, it would be hard to convince me this won't affect his emotions negatively as he's pulling down to 125 week after week for the rest of his career.  I guess if he ends up winning several national titles and jumps into his coach's arms after each one this will become a story of legend about the wisdom of the coaching staff.  If not, well, you can write the ending.

Part of me also has to wonder how this kid is going to perform at PSU in the future .....

What?  Do you mean while competing for another team against PSU at PSU?  While technically possible, the chances of him wrestling for PSU again are about as good as Pat Downey wrestling for them.

I haven't commented because what I have been reading out of Rutgers doesn't make a lot of sense. They claim he was released to Rutgers yet somehow Sanderson is still blocking Suriano from losing a year under the BigTen transfer rules. What I suspect has actually happened is that Suriano was released to any program outside the BigTen. That would make a lot more sense out of everything I've been reading.

Personally, I say give him a full release and let him try to get a waiver. Hate to lose Nick but if he really want to leave, let him go home to compete for Rutgers.

I suspect they've given him a full release from NCAA rules, but not the Big Ten rule.

What?  Do you mean while competing for another team against PSU at PSU?  While technically possible, the chances of him wrestling for PSU again are about as good as Pat Downey wrestling for them.

So when does PDIII start classes???