Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

The Real Suriano Story

He was "charged" a year's eligibility at first, but it ended up being a redshirt season and he didn't lose any playing time (after he successfully made his point to the Big 12). Looked like he was going to lose a year. On the other hand OU is one of the two "big boys" of the Big 12 (the other Texas, naturally), and what OU wants they generally get. And OU didn't want Baker to lose a year's eligibility. Texas Tech DID want him to lose that year. OU won. Something tells me PSU will have more pull than Rutgers in the Big 10.

I don't see what the big issue for Suriano is. He didn't use his redshirt, why not just transfer and burn the RS?

He can do that but then still only has 2 years of eligibility left when he could stay at PSU or go out of conference and still have a RS year plus 3 years of eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Suriano is from a very tight Italian family. In the room before practice when guys were goofing around, Suriano would not join in. He kept to himself. He never fit in.

Sorry folks but this is what it is.

What does being from a tight Italian family have to do with it?   

What does being from a tight Italian family have to do with it?   

Italian families are very close and for many, leaving the nest is a traumatic experience. Leaving home means no gravy and meatballs or grandma's home sausage; just dorm food.  First college roommate was an Italian kid from Nutley, NJ.  Awesome when his parents visited.  Mother left us with enough to feed an army!  Guy missed his family so much that he didn't return second semester.  That was good for me because his mom's cooking and making weight did not mix well.

Maybe Nick missed his family so much he just wanted to go home....just saying...

Nick will be fine.

Italian families are very close and for many, leaving the nest is a traumatic experience. Leaving home means no gravy and meatballs or grandma's home sausage; just dorm food.  First college roommate was an Italian kid from Nutley, NJ.  Awesome when his parents visited.  Mother left us with enough to feed an army!  Guy missed his family so much that he didn't return second semester.  That was good for me because his mom's cooking and making weight did not mix well.

Maybe Nick missed his family so much he just wanted to go home....just saying...

Nick will be fine.

LOL you just described many types of families from varying ethnic backgrounds.

Why can't this be exactly what was said by Gowrestle?   Homesick kid asks to leave and the school agrees but AD doesn't grant him a waiver.  Reason?  Too many other athletes would use the same excuse and transfer intra-conference.  The whole thing makes sense but several of you still insist it's something else.  I think it's as simple as it sounds.  Not saying it's right...but I don't think Cael is holding the kid back.  

Why can't this be exactly what was said by Gowrestle?   Homesick kid asks to leave and the school agrees but AD doesn't grant him a waiver.  Reason?  Too many other athletes would use the same excuse and transfer intra-conference.  The whole thing makes sense but several of you still insist it's something else.  I think it's as simple as it sounds.  Not saying it's right...but I don't think Cael is holding the kid back.  

that sounds very naive. Either its impossible for Suriano to be fully released, or Cael has something to do with it. i don't believe cael went to bat for the kid only to be shut down by a stingy administration. 

For the record, if cael comes out and says he tried to get suriano released without penalty i'll take his word for it. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

I can't even imagine how awkward the first day of practice will be for all involved.

If it's really to a point of being that awful for him in the room and Rutgers is the solution then I would guess he's transferring, taking the year off to get body and academics to a high level, then comeback and crush it for two years on the mat. Sure an extra year of wrestling would be nice, but if the other road leads to a better outlook on life and you still get your degree then moving on seems like the better end of the deal.

Wait a minute..you guys keep touting the family values of New Jersey. It's my understanding that most people n NJ don't even know who their fathers are. Correct me if I'm wrong, please....

Perhaps if you are talking about the NBA, but this is college wrestling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Im sure this has been stated somewhere in the 30+ threads about suriano, but I don't feel like sifting through...If Suriano transfers to Rutgers can he use his red shirt and then still have three years of competition left? or does the red-shirt year not count?

Sorry Im sure this has been stated somewhere in the 30+ threads about suriano, but I don't feel like sifting through...If Suriano transfers to Rutgers can he use his red shirt and then still have three years of competition left? or does the red-shirt year not count?

The red shirt does not count. He loses a year of NCAA competition.

Instead of having 3 years of competition a 1 redshirt he will be left with 2 years of competition and 1 redshirt.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Lol about Baker having a penultimate year.  He lost OU's only Beletnikof winner and two NFL running backs out of the same backfield, not to mention the head coaching change...If he has a great year, he will deserve another shot at the Heisman, but he has many challenges ahead.  I'm pulling for him, but I'm not seeing penultimate year ahead.  Would be fun to go into the shoe, and get one.  I apologize for fb post, I've just followed the boys in Norman for 5 decades +.

Edited by Peso

Lol about Baker having a penultimate year. He lost OU's only Beletnikof winner and two NFL running backs out of the same backfield, not to mention the head coaching change...If he has a great year, he will deserve another shot at the Heisman, but he has many challenges ahead. I'm pulling for him, but I'm not seeing penultimate year ahead. Would be fun to go into the shoe, and get one. I apologize for fb post, I just follow the boys in Norman for 5 decades +.

He's gonna get rolled again!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lol about Baker having a penultimate year. He lost OU's only Beletnikof winner and two NFL running backs out of the same backfield, not to mention the head coaching change...If he has a great year, he will deserve another shot at the Heisman, but he has many challenges ahead. I'm pulling for him, but I'm not seeing penultimate year ahead. Would be fun to go into the shoe, and get one. I apologize for fb post, I just follow the boys in Norman for 5 decades +.

Wouldn't that actually construe all the makings of a penultimate year for Baker Mayfield? I think the previous poster who was talking about the Heisman meant "ultimate year" anyway.

It may be from being in a tight family but I've learned that Jersey kids don't like to leave Jersey regardless of ethnicity. Some really think NJ is the greatest place on earth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The brave ones like Darrion Caldwell, Jordan Burroughs, James Green and Frank Molinaro had no problem leaving Jersey.

The brave ones like Darrion Caldwell, Jordan Burroughs, James Green and Frank Molinaro had no problem leaving Jersey.

Those brave enough to be champion so far have left (hahn, dubuque, mocco, pritzlaff, valenti).  But suriano will change that. Hopefully he is given the extra year to be NJ's first 3x champ