Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

When does a person stop being considered a kid....?

I have no problem with a one-time transfer.  I know this is grossly oversimplified, but as purchasers, we are often given full right to return something that did not work or function as we thought it would. If loss of a redshirt (if not yet used) or a 1/2 a year of eligibility went with the first time transfer, I'm good with that too.  Multiple transfers/musical colleges, no waivers after one has been used--immediate sitting out of a year and loss of a year of eligibility.

Edited by Coach_J

Guest Kingsland

LOL thank you. So you can no longer use it when you're 27?

26 is how long you can stay on your parent's healthcare. Edited by Kingsland

The purpose of the rule is the detract athletes from transferring from program to program as well as keep coaches from poaching other teams rosters. How is allowing an athlete to use their redshirt going to detract this from happening?

Because they still are FORCED to use up that one year.  The redshirt is no longer a protective feature.  If someone has 5 years to complete 4 years of competition, taking away that 1 extra year of eligibility seems like a reasonable penalty to prevent transferring.  Also, it protects the school that paid for a redshirt year with the student not competing.  By no longer having the redshirt, they KNOW there is a penalty for leaving in the B1G.

Because they still are FORCED to use up that one year.  The redshirt is no longer a protective feature.  If someone has 5 years to complete 4 years of competition, taking away that 1 extra year of eligibility seems like a reasonable penalty to prevent transferring.  Also, it protects the school that paid for a redshirt year with the student not competing.  By no longer having the redshirt, they KNOW there is a penalty for leaving in the B1G.

That makes for a much lighter/weaker detraction, wouldn't you say?

That makes for a much lighter/weaker detraction, wouldn't you say?

Yes, but that is the point.  If you still have your redshirt left, you have honored what is expected from a student athlete on scholarship.  The penalty shouldn't be severe if you choose to leave in that scenario.  However, if the school you are attending has in fact paid for your schooling, while redshirting, a stiffer penalty makes sense.

So this forum has had a lot of action today due to the Suriano situation with many people crying foul due to the fact that he may lose a year of competition due to the transfer. A common theme that we hear all the time when these athletes change their minds about a decision/commitment or make a bad decision/mistake is that.. "well you got to remember, they're just kids."

So I ask the question.. at what point do people stop being kids and start being adults? I'm of the opinion that people start being adults when they turn 18 and leave high school. When are people supposed to be held accountable for their decisions and mistakes? When does the excuse of "they're just kids" no longer fly?

They're kids until they're not much younger than you.  For example I'm in my 70's.    I just asked my grand pappy (he's 108) who the kid is for the Pelicans who is starting at center position.   He told me it's a kid named Ajinka and he's 30 years old.    Kid is subjective term.    

So this forum has had a lot of action today due to the Suriano situation with many people crying foul due to the fact that he may lose a year of competition due to the transfer. A common theme that we hear all the time when these athletes change their minds about a decision/commitment or make a bad decision/mistake is that.. "well you got to remember, they're just kids."

So I ask the question.. at what point do people stop being kids and start being adults? I'm of the opinion that people start being adults when they turn 18 and leave high school. When are people supposed to be held accountable for their decisions and mistakes? When does the excuse of "they're just kids" no longer fly?

Most state and US laws = 18

Obama = 26

Patrick Downey = when you hit your 5th school

Chuck Norris = Granted man status at conception....that is if he was conceived

Millenials = What's an adult?

Zadick children - When they killed their first Montana grizzly with their bare hands at age 7

Aaron Pico - 20 - right after graduation

Utah freshman wrestlers = 22

Frank Molinaro - after 6:17

So yes, the literal, realistic and ideal age may all well be different.

Most state and US laws = 18

Obama = 26

Patrick Downey = when you hit your 5th school

Chuck Norris = Granted man status at conception....that is if he was conceived

Millenials = What's an adult?

Zadick children - When they killed their first Montana grizzly with their bare hands at age 7

Aaron Pico - 20 - right after graduation

Utah freshman wrestlers = 22

Frank Molinaro - after 6:17

So yes, the literal, realistic and ideal age may all well be different.

Chuck Norris fears PD3.

The "kid" thing is an over used colloquialism, in my opinion.         

From some old notes :

"kid" is a word that we use in familiar, 'buddy like' situations, as well as casual speak. 

Not a formal word.

The "kid" thing is an over used colloquialism, in my opinion.         

From some old notes :

"kid" is a word that we use in familiar, 'buddy like' situations, as well as casual speak. 

Not a formal word.

Really? 

kid-goat-01-a-pic-of-me-when-i-was-kid.j

For me it was when I stepped on the Yellow Footprints at MCRD San Diego as an 18 year old right out of high school. From that night forward I was no longer a kid, regardless of age.

I never thought of any 18 year old Marine or soldier as a "kid".

But when I got to Penn State as a 22 year old at the end of one summer, I thought to myself, "Damn, these people are just kids!"

Despite most of my "peers" (university freshmen) now being 18 year olds...

While "a rule's a rule" and Suriano knew this when signing with a B1G, it's still incredible that coaches can leave whenever they want for a better deal while under contract, virtually w/out penalty. No kidding.

I disagree simply because the coach is an employee of the university and is working at will. Now if universities started instituting a non-compete clause with their employment contracts that would be a different story.

When it fits the agenda?