gowrestle

Rutgers Coaching Staff

Big Ten,

I agree completely that there is a double standard in sports, based off of success. Look at NCAA football, the moment a random team starts being at the top for a few years, here come the allegation violation rumors (maybe they were cheating the whole time). The point being if you can't handle the things that come with being at the top (not saying you as a fan, or PSU can't) then don't strive for it. When MN had the incident last spring, people were saying left and right before we knew much, "if these kids were non-relevant this wouldn't be an issue, they would have been gone that day". Is that true? We will never know. Turned out that two of the wrestlers involved actually played a pretty big part in NCAA's this year. I might be wrong on this, but as much as all of the PSU fans are saying this is precedent, you can't honestly tell me if this a kid at a weight PSU had a better option for, or just a decent guy who liked wrestling this would even be a story.

Thank you for the well written post. I agree 100% with everything you wrote here.There absolutely is a double standard based off of success. At the same time IMO its absolutely valid to point out when that double standard and hypocrisy comes to light. The people are jumping all over PSU and want to see them go down NOT because what they're doing is actually wrong (everything allegedly doing they're doing is within the confines of NCAA and B1G rules which they seem to be following to the letter of the rule), but because Anti-PSU people look at it as an opportunity for their program to catch up to PSU. If you notice the harshest critics of PSU right now with this situation are typically known PSU haters and would be absolutely quiet if it were their own favorite teams in the same exact situation. Another thing people have been doing is they bring up situations where Wrestler A got to transfer from School A to School B without any penalty. These comparisons quite often are to schools that are in different conferences. To make an apples to apples comparison why not look at transfers that follow a similar set of criteria.

1. B1G to B1G

2. Scholarship Athlete

Bringing up situations where an Athlete transferred to a school in a different conference is irrelevant, because like it or not there are specific rules regarding this issue.

So with that said, who are some B1G to B1G transfers in wrestling that did not get charged with a year of eligibility?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Thank you for the well written post. I agree 100% with everything you wrote here.There absolutely is a double standard based off of success. At the same time IMO its absolutely valid to point out when that double standard and hypocrisy comes to light. The people are jumping all over PSU and want to see them go down NOT because what they're doing is actually wrong (everything allegedly doing they're doing is within the confines of NCAA and B1G rules which they seem to be following to the letter of the rule), but because Anti-PSU people look at it as an opportunity for their program to catch up to PSU. If you notice the harshest critics of PSU right now with this situation are typically known PSU haters and would be absolutely quiet if it were their own favorite teams in the same exact situation. Another thing people have been doing is they bring up situations where Wrestler A got to transfer from School A to School B without any penalty. These comparisons quite often are to schools that are in different conferences. To make an apples to apples comparison why not look at transfers that follow a similar set of criteria.

1. B1G to B1G

2. Scholarship Athlete

Bringing up situations where an Athlete transferred to a school in a different conference is irrelevant, because like it or not there are specific rules regarding this issue.

So with that said, who are some B1G to B1G transfers in wrestling that did not get charged with a year of eligibility?

Micic- and he did a year at otc in between

I agree that a wide range of this topic is solely sour grapes. Most of the time I like to simply just troll the popular team. Minnesotans are accustomed to very little championship success in the sports realm (Vikings, Twins, T-Wolves, Wild), so I would love to know the feeling again of a winning team. lol. It seems like a large amount of posters are convinced that the waiver process is an easy one. I'll be honest, I'm ignorant to what the standard is, I think wrestling just doesn't see transfers as often as FB or MBB, so we think anything can be pencil whipped and made happen. If there is literally no way around the situation (which I think there is, I've learned in the military; anything is waiver-able) I will have no issue with PSU, and what happens with Nick. If there is a way around it, then I hope we can all admit PSU is being very careful with how they are telling the story (and I don't blame them at all for doing that, from a PR stand point)

I agree that a wide range of this topic is solely sour grapes. Most of the time I like to simply just troll the popular team. Minnesotans are accustomed to very little championship success in the sports realm (Vikings, Twins, T-Wolves, Wild), so I would love to know the feeling again of a winning team. lol. It seems like a large amount of posters are convinced that the waiver process is an easy one. I'll be honest, I'm ignorant to what the standard is, I think wrestling just doesn't see transfers as often as FB or MBB, so we think anything can be pencil whipped and made happen. If there is literally no way around the situation (which I think there is, I've learned in the military; anything is waiver-able) I will have no issue with PSU, and what happens with Nick. If there is a way around it, then I hope we can all admit PSU is being very careful with how they are telling the story (and I don't blame them at all for doing that, from a PR stand point)

Another great post gopher_fan_90!

You're on a roll today!

Minnesota had a nice little run in the early 2000's.. I was very sad to see what happened with JRob and company...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I do not think Suriano should ever get negative with PSU. He can say something affected him negatively like how the injury was handled but if he says anything bad toward the program or the university, he is toast when it comes to the waiver from the Big 10.

You see this with PIAA transfers all the time. A kid leaves, the school throws out an obligatory block with no effort behind it. Said kid and family flips out and attacks everyone, said school then says, "screw you" and the kid is blocked from competing for a year.

Maybe...just maybe PSU is just going through the motions here with the Big 10.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The point that the detractors continue not to get or are simply ignoring is that the waiver process can be adversarial in nature. Unlike the release process where it's just a sign off, in-order to get a waiver you need some sort of hardship and that could involve negative allegations directed at the former school. This is how Micic got his waiver. Northwestern was willing to fall on it's own sword because they fired the coach for cause anyway.

I know several athletes who were denied B1G waivers in other non revenue sports. Pretty damn good athletes too.

I fully expect the B1G to deny the waiver request.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

The departing athlete's Big Ten school is asked if they wish to support the waiver process or not. If they support the waiver then the other conference schools accept that two member schools have agreed that the athlete should be issued a full release.

If the departing athlete's Big Ten school does not support the waiver all of the Big Ten representatives hear the appeal for a waiver and determine if it is reasonable to issue a waiver despite the departing athlete's school not supporting a full release of the athlete.

Penn State is not supporting a full release of Suriano. It is up to the Big Ten committee to decide if Suriano's situation warrants a full release despite Penn State not supporting his full release.

Penn State could recommend a full release but have decided not to do so and are claiming it is the Big Ten that is doing it. The Big Ten has to decide because there is a dispute between two member schools.

Penn State is not issuing Suriano a full release.

You know I actually like this better.   Let the B1G decide and take it out of Penn State's hands.      No sense in the school Suriano is harming have a hand in it, allow the 3rd party to decide this.    

Regarding transferring from a B1G school, my son was granted a full release after his freshman season by the athletic department of his B1G institution.

Prior to getting the release, he got in-touch with an ACC coach - that had recruited him previously - before he was given the release (although he was pretty sure it would be granted).  The ACC coach told him immediately that he could not communicate with him via any medium prior to him getting a release.

Was Suriano granted his release (this has nothing to do with any waiver) prior to his contact with any Rutgers coach/athletic department personnel? Not the SK club, but the school?  There could be something to this issue?

I'm not in the know of the timeline regarding this situation, but if wasn't until this month that he actually decided he was leaving, that's a sh_ tty position to put Penn State in. The Suriano's know why he was recruited and what Penn State has at 125.

Whether it was homesickness, not fitting in with his teammates, enjoying being back in a room with some of his high school team members from BC, or (right or wrong with weights, skill level, etc) them (the Suriano's) feeling he was recruited over with Teasdale and/or RBY, the decision and the request for the release should have been made sooner. 

Regardless, he should be able to wrestle and attend school where he wants without penalty.

If coaches can leave a school when/if he wants and be immediately "eligible", college students should have that same option.

2014-15: Jared Cortez, 4x IL 1st, r/s at Illinois

2015-16: transfers to PSU, forced to r/s and loses 1 of 4 years' eligibility due to B1G rules

2016-17: competes (soph), injured 1st semester (out); maybe can get this 1 yr back?

2017-18: listed as junior

Where was the public outrage?

2014-15: Jared Cortez, 4x IL 1st, r/s at Illinois

2015-16: transfers to PSU, forced to r/s and loses 1 of 4 years' eligibility due to B1G rules

2016-17: competes (soph), injured 1st semester (out); maybe can get this 1 yr back?

2017-18: listed as junior

Where was the public outrage?

+++++++

Regarding transferring from a B1G school, my son was granted a full release after his freshman season by the athletic department of his B1G institution.

Prior to getting the release, he got in-touch with an ACC coach - that had recruited him previously - before he was given the release (although he was pretty sure it would be granted).  The ACC coach told him immediately that he could not communicate with him via any medium prior to him getting a release.

Was Suriano granted his release (this has nothing to do with any waiver) prior to his contact with any Rutgers coach/athletic department personnel? Not the SK club, but the school?  There could be something to this issue?

I'm not in the know of the timeline regarding this situation, but if wasn't until this month that he actually decided he was leaving, that's a sh_ tty position to put Penn State in. The Suriano's know why he was recruited and what Penn State has at 125.

Whether it was homesickness, not fitting in with his teammates, enjoying being back in a room with some of his high school team members from BC, or (right or wrong with weights, skill level, etc) them (the Suriano's) feeling he was recruited over with Teasdale and/or RBY, the decision and the request for the release should have been made sooner. 

Regardless, he should be able to wrestle and attend school where he wants without penalty.

If coaches can leave a school when/if he wants and be immediately "eligible", college students should have that same option.

You bring up some very interesting points that haven't really been brought up or discussed that much. Were the Rutgers staff communicating with Suriano regarding a possible transfer before getting permission to?

You bring up some very interesting points that haven't really been brought up or discussed that much. Were the Rutgers staff communicating with Suriano regarding a possible transfer before getting permission to?

That's not a valid point, man. Please stick to the topic at hand, i.e. Cael is a bad man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look in the mirror, nj.

I hope the kid wrestles, but this is not a cael sanderson story. Its a nick suriano story.

Defending psu when merited is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I reluctantly agree.  A kid I counted on doesn't want to wrestle for me, fine, but why should I go out of my way to make sure he doesn't get injured.  I am injured, and he committed to me.  I assume the rule is in place for a reason.  Don't universities recruit off of what they think they need?  Still, if the kid was homesick or just didn't fit in, I would try to help.  Something seems weird here.  Remember, PSU didn't recruit heavily at 125 after Nick's commitment.  Where is his responsibility?  Something egregious I would understand, but I am not understanding.  If I were Cael, I wouldn't want Nick at this point, but would regret my choices since he committed.  

This is rich. It's not enough for a school to issue a transfer release. Now the school must go to the conference and plead with them to break their rules so that a wrestler can compete for another team.

Yes, something tells me mostly other fans than PSU agrees with this particular situation.  

Cael needs to get on his knees and beg. That's what these Iowa fans and haters du jour want to see. Hypocrits.

Cael released Nick to Rutgers. This is a fact and I can post several articles stating it as fact. They are going to make up what they want.

When you are the top dog the poodles will nip at your ankles.  It is expected.  I am assuming my Patriots aren't that popular outside of NE.  By the way, I was a fan well before Parcells and Belichick.  

Now I get why Cael avoids the media so much and says so little. You can never go back on your word if you don't speak it in the first place.

Maybe he is smart.   Why do you think Belichick doesn't entertain the media?  Do you have a different recipe?

That's like sticking your head in the sand..... seems like this is what PSU prefers to do in tough situations.... Penn State COULD do the right thing but CHOOSES to not do anything and hopes that the outcome doesn't burn them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why is that the right thing?  Do you understand business?  Yes, I know, good business is to set a precedent that screws you so that others know you will cater to their whims.    

...under the circumstances...

Wasn't Early one of the ones suspended for the first semester? I fully understand when a coach has been fired, they let things slide (maybe they shouldn't) but when you are 1/4th of said reason coach got fired...

There were a lot of rumors going around as well that Eggum's philosophy didn't match up with Early and Stroker. If that is the case it probably makes letting a kid leave a lot easier. Is it also possible that this whole thing is Poppa Suriano living vicariously through Nick, and Nick is committed to the counsel of his dad, so he thinks this is the best thing for him?

Edited by gopher_fan_90