Sign in to follow this  
Jasonmitchell32

Question for you ex-college wrestlers

I'd like to hear your thoughts on your "era" and what your experiences were with transfers/changing of minds. It seems that this has become more and more prominent with commits/decommits and transferring.

I wrested in the early 1990s at Pitt and the only transfer of note I can really recall is Rich Catalano transferred in from Iowa. I think I recall that he had a family member (mother, maybe - but I can't remember for sure) ill and he got an NCAA waiver (there is the old "waiver" word again) and was able to wrestle right away, placing 4th at NCAAs.

On a personal note - he kicked my ass on a daily basis (he was 167 and I was 158) and was a super nice guy. My highlight that year was when I took him down one practice in a scramble - coach Stotty yelled - "see Mitchell, if you work harder you CAN do it!" I never took him down again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a teammate transfer from MSU to PU, and it was known to all that he would be ineligible for the season and lose the year of eligibility. The Big Ten transfer rule was common knowledge in the 2002-2007 "era" if my situation was "normal."

Edited by jcjcjc

Jasonmitchell32, some prominent transfers around your era that come to mind:

Sammie Henson Mizzou to Clemson 2x champ

TJ Jaworsky Ok St to UNC 3 x champ

Jody Staylor UNC to ODU. NCAA 2nd.

Ray Brinzer Ok St to Iowa. NCAA 3rd.

Jack Cuvo NC St to East Strousburg (not sure if was a transfer, not sure if he ever competed for NCSt, but pretty sure he had signed there)

Joe Melchiore Oklahoma to Iowa NCAA 2nd

Cary Kolat PSU to Lock Haven 2x champ  

Edited by KTG119

Jack Cuvo NC St to East Strousburg (not sure if was a transfer, not sure if he ever competed for NCSt, but pretty sure he had signed there)

Yep - great examples but I'm looking for firsthand examples. I have no idea why those guys transferred (other than Kolat, which was pretty much common knowledge). I'm just seeing if guys can comment on teammates coming in/going out.

I don't believe Cuvo was a transfer - I don't think he ever enrolled at NCSU.

What about Matty from Catty? Transfer from PSU to Pitt in the mid-to-late 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerhard was before my time by a year - he graduated in '89 I believe. Great call on Matty from Catty btw! Great D11 legend.

I couldn't help but respond to this post.

I was a transfer in the '60s -- from ISU to MSU.

We (and I) won an NCAA championship in '67 --

I wrote a book about it -- much of which was devoted to the (recruiting process and) transfer --  in celebration of our 50th anniversary.  

I hope it's not inappropriate for me to say that there have been numerous testimonials about the book that can be found at 67Spartanbook.com 

Best -

DA

People should google "Chuck Jean wrestling" if they want to see an interesting transfer story from "back in the day."

And note that he may well have stayed in Iowa if the judge hadn't banned him from returning to the state... (one of my all time favorite wrestling legends - and true story.)

Yep - great examples but I'm looking for firsthand examples. I have no idea why those guys transferred (other than Kolat, which was pretty much common knowledge). 

Henson got in legal trouble at Mizzou and had to transfer.

Exodus of wrestlers in the 70s- 80s...

From Wisconsin- Tom Husted left for Lehigh; Mark Zimmer to Oklahoma; Bob Kopecky and Chuck Curwick to UNLV-they then dropped the program and Bob went to Oklahoma State; Pat Pickford to UNI; Lou Chiaparelli to Iowa; Dave Brandvold to UW-River Falls; to name a few. John Iannuzzi went ineligible after his sensational freshman year and didn't make it back. Poor Duane Kleven had quite a mess on his hands, finally resigned.

Bob Holland from Iowa State to Eastern Illinois was a big deal.

Harlan Kistler from UCLA->Arizona State-> Iowa  (not sure if Lindley Kistler was ever at A-State, I know that Marty K was not. Jackson K I believe finished at A-State).

Dave Schultz from Oklahoma State to Oklahoma.

John Azevedo from Oklahoma State to Cal State Bakersfield.

Jeff McAllister from Oklahoma State to Bakersfield.

Did anyone mention Mocco from Iowa to OKState?

Dale Anderson's transfer to Michigan State in the late 1960s is one of the most important transfers in college history, as it was a huge factor in the Spartans winning the NCAA team title in 1967 -- the first Big Ten school with that distinction.. I highly recommend Dale's book about that magical year. By the way, this year marks the 50th anniversary of that important event. -- Mike Chapman, author of 29 books and creator of WIN magazine and the Dan Hodge Trophy

I wrestled at Cornell in the early 90's and we had several transfer in.  Kyle Rackley from OK State when they got put on probation.  Mike New from Penn St, Bob Whalen from UVA, Tim Sczeck from Army and a few from JUCO.   I can't tell you about the individual circumstances but because we were an Ivy League school with no scholarships, they could wrestle right away without losing a year of eligibility. 

I wrestled at Cornell in the early 90's and we had several transfer in. Kyle Rackley from OK State when they got put on probation. Mike New from Penn St, Bob Whalen from UVA, Tim Sczeck from Army and a few from JUCO. I can't tell you about the individual circumstances but because we were an Ivy League school with no scholarships, they could wrestle right away without losing a year of eligibility.

Dag - Bob Whalen was like a big bro to me growing up. He was 2 years ahead of me and I was looking at UVA b/c he was there but then he told me he was transferring to Cornell so I stopped looking at UVA. He wanted me to check out Cornell but I had my heart set of Pitt (lifelong Pitt fan so when Stotty called I was already sold). In fact, Bob had a sweet Pitt hat in high school that he gave me when he was a senior and I was a sophomore. I wore it for every match/tourney. I still have it.

So I guess the moral of the story is that transferring was as prevalent then as it seems to be now.

Yes. Just with social media and new sources, such as flo, bigger than ever now, everyone sees it now unlike back then you didn't really see it if you weren't there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk