• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:18 PM

I've been looking at old international results and something caught my attention re Barry Davis. Bringing it back to the college board....Davis was a 3 time NCAA champ. Every guy he defeated in the NCAA finals went on to medal at world championships in freestyle: Kevin Darkus, Joe McFarland, and Gary Bohay all eventually placed 2nd in the world.  

I think Davis may be unique in this regard. 

anyone else match this?

• gutfirst likes this

#2 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,853 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:16 AM

2/4 for Cael with Eggum and Cormier.
  • KTG119 likes this
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#3 cornercoach

cornercoach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

.... BD is a good dude.....

• rstrong and KTG119 like this

#4 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:30 AM

Always a Hawkeye! Love his interviews durong big matches. Not sure if i could have a camera in my face at in that moment. Respect!

#5 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,853 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

Always a Hawkeye! Love his interviews durong big matches. Not sure if i could have a camera in my face at in that moment. Respect!

I want to know if Barry has been in the corner for any of his guys during the NCAA finals since ESPN started broadcasting the finals because I can't recall him being anywhere but the stands or the tunnel fidgeting being interviewed. Lol
  • Yellow_Medal likes this
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#6 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

He had the Colorado pipeline going for a while which would serve him well if he got it back I think

#7 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

This guy, Barry, is great for the sport. Who wouldn't want their kid to wrestle for him. 

#8 npope

npope

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Interesting the support BD receives on this "national" forum. While few can argue with his personal success as a wrestler, there are some very vocal and adamant detractors of Davis over at the Wisconsin wrestling forum that would like nothing more than to get rid of him. Not sure where the needle actually falls with respect to the broader Wisconsin wrestling fan base (because a few vocal online posters don't necessarily represent the broader fan base), but those that want him gone argue that consistently finishing in the middle (to lower half) of the Big Ten and around 15th in the NCAA is evidence of a program that is not successful.

Some of those same detractors informally lobby for canning Davis and hiring Ben Askren, a well-known Wisconsin native son who now operates a successful wrestling club in the state while pursuing his MMA career.

Suffice to say, some of the forum exchanges there are a bit testy.

Nat Pope

#9 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

Barry's wife Nan was a four time Big Ten XC champ!

She may have held an indoor world record for half a day or something like that.

His daughter Amy runs XC for UW-Madison.

Barry is still the winningest Hawkeye of all time.

• powershouse and stp like this

#10 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:20 AM

In the 9th grade, I finally got serious about wrestling after reading a book on Dan Gable (old book from late 70's). Can't remember the title, but I became obsessed with all things related to Gable and Iowa. One story that sticks with me was how Barry Davis was going to quit the team (weight cut issue?), and he was literally standing in line at a super market with a bag full of junk food after not showing up at practice. Somehow, Gable found him and talked him out of it...and the rest is history.

Not sure of the veracity of this story, but it added to the Gable legend.
  • pjm46 likes this

#11 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:55 AM

This guy, Barry, is great for the sport. Who wouldn't want their kid to wrestle for him.

Mr & Mrs Thielke?

#12 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:57 AM

Jesse Thielke does not speak highly of his time at Wisconsin at all.

#13 headache

headache

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:37 AM

In the 9th grade, I finally got serious about wrestling after reading a book on Dan Gable (old book from late 70's). Can't remember the title, but I became obsessed with all things related to Gable and Iowa. One story that sticks with me was how Barry Davis was going to quit the team (weight cut issue?), and he was literally standing in line at a super market with a bag full of junk food after not showing up at practice. Somehow, Gable found him and talked him out of it...and the rest is history.

Not sure of the veracity of this story, but it added to the Gable legend.

It's true. It was on the eve of the Big Tens. Davis was AWOL and Gable went hunting - found him by blind luck at a grocery store with a bag full of donuts and crap. 

• tightwaist and pjm46 like this

#14 Sheerstress

Sheerstress

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

https://www.si.com/v...meward-hawkeye#

• tightwaist likes this

#15 stp

stp

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

Jesse Thielke does not speak highly of his time at Wisconsin at all.

He wouldn't have been happy, anywhere.  

Edited by stp, 13 August 2017 - 05:56 AM.

#16 FiveWords

FiveWords

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

Name who has stuck Barry. 😬

#17 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

Name who has stuck Barry.

John Hartupee 

#18 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

He's a Badger now....

#19 teach

teach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:51 AM

Barry Davis seems to be a great person and I have heard nothing but positive things about how he deals with kids.  Building the program, making wrestlers better, recruiting, "I feel" are all questionable.  Over the years the badgers have gotten a few good recruits and some have done well, but consistently getting great wrestlers and building on that has not been good.  The question is, how do most people in Wisconsin feel?  Most don't know, or care.  If you asked people who the wrestling coach in Wisconsin is, most would have no clue.  As far as the AD at WI, as long as the program is respectable, kids are getting good grades, and no one gets in trouble, he is very happy with the coach at this time.

Who wouldn't want their kid to wrestle for him?  If you are a high recruit, but maybe not top 10, I would not go there if being an AA is your goal.  If you want a great school, and a coach that will treat you well, go.

#20 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:14 AM

I remember what a great wrestler Barry was, but it was his antics at tourneys, as a coach, that really made him a legend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users