Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:45 AM

Per intermat.

#2 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:07 AM

What's next, they detail trying to get Charlie Manson out of Jail to help coach? Maybe bring in Ted Bundy for pep talks?

A sad day for Iowa bringing in a cancer like this.

• tightwaist and KCMO2 like this

#3 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:09 AM

Win/Win.  

Iowa remains in the top ten and PDIII graduates college.

#4 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

Iowa fans - now that this is official, is there a feeling of going all in this year (ie guys like Warner and Lee do not RS)? 

#5 JeanGuy

JeanGuy
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:25 AM

I hope this works out for everyone. It is good for society for a kid to get back on track.

• AKHUNTER likes this

#6 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:35 AM

Not a bad deal for PD. Enroll for the spring semester, go to practice & compete, then drop out after NCAA. Probably won't even have mid-term grades back prior to NCAAs. Does he even have to go to class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • GranbyTroll likes this

#7 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

Not a bad deal for PD. Enroll for the spring semester, go to practice & compete, then drop out after NCAA. Probably won't even have mid-term grades back prior to NCAAs. Does he even have to go to class?

I recall being told a story by a former D1 head coach about how in the late 80s they would submit class withdrawal paperwork for students from the NCAA tournament the second a kid was eliminated. Apparently at the time, the spring semester withdrawal period ended the same week as the national tournament.

The kids had to be enrolled in all the classes to be eligible to compete. However, they didn't have to earn credit in all the classes to make progress toward graduation and be eligible the next semester. So when they were eliminated from the tournament they would withdrawal from any class that they weren't doing well in and it would save their GPA and allow them to be eligible for the next year.
Twitter: @Pinnum

#8 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

Not a huge fan of this move but hopefully it works out for both parties. Downey still has coursework to complete at ISU so him making it to campus is not a guarantee. I would be interested to see the 'restrictions' placed on him by Tom. I have noticed his snapchat has toned it down a notch since his visit to Iowa.

If he gets his head on straight he will be a tremendous asset to the room. Pretty monstrous 'if' though.

#9 JeanGuy

JeanGuy
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:18 AM

My only question is what is the upside? Give PDIII a chance at a national championship? This move doesn't help him get his degree because he should have it before ever enrolling at Iowa. If his aspiration is FS wrestling shouldn't he just go to a training center while finishing his undergrad and train? From the Iowa perspective does PDIII give them a better chance of beating PSU, tOSU, or OSU all of whom I would think are ahead of them?

As I said earlier I hope it goes well for PDIII, but I just don't understand the benefit.

#10 websterk149

websterk149

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:19 AM

Wild how the the three biggest topics of this offseason were PD3 competing next year, Suriano transfer and McKenna transfer. And the topic that seems to be most likely to happen at this point is PD3 transfer and competing again. My prediction is he competes for Iowa and places top 3.

#11 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

My only question is what is the upside? Give PDIII a chance at a national championship? This move doesn't help him get his degree because he should have it before ever enrolling at Iowa. If his aspiration is FS wrestling shouldn't he just go to a training center while finishing his undergrad and train? From the Iowa perspective does PDIII give them a better chance of beating PSU, tOSU, or OSU all of whom I would think are ahead of them?

As I said earlier I hope it goes well for PDIII, but I just don't understand the benefit.

Maybe Terry (who has been pushing for this from what I am told) thinks he can change him or help him? People have always said Terry is the stubborn one. Also, it sounds like Downey is going to be a walk on so its not like they are giving him big bucks to essentially be a mercenary.

As far as Downey's aspirations maybe he wants one last season of folkstyle to prove the 'haters' wrong. I think Moore is a solid favorite but don't see anyone else beating a focused (lol) Downey. And Downey is probably the most dangerous thrower in the 197 field so its not entirely out of the realm Pat could toss him.

• PD2 likes this

#12 Erminio8

Erminio8

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

Iowa fans - now that this is official, is there a feeling of going all in this year (ie guys like Warner and Lee do not RS)? 

Highly doubt Lee does not RS considering injuries and his need to bulk up.

#13 BLT

BLT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

What's next, they detail trying to get Charlie Manson out of Jail to help coach? Maybe bring in Ted Bundy for pep talks?

A sad day for Iowa bringing in a cancer like this.

Every day you post on here is a sad day. 

• tbert and AKHUNTER like this

#14 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:11 AM

This really is an upside all for Downey and relative low risk-high reward for Iowa since they would have him for a short time. Downey appears to be driven to win an NCAA title and as a result and the restrictions placed on him to try and attain that goal, it's forcing him to get his butt in gear school wise and get his undergrad completed first. Say what you want about him or his dad(I'm not the biggest fans of their actions or their posts online) but it would be good to see the kid ultimately get his degree at least.
  • websterk149 likes this
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#15 websterk149

websterk149

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

This really is an upside all for Downey and relative low risk-high reward for Iowa since they would have him for a short time. Downey appears to be driven to win an NCAA title and as a result and the restrictions placed on him to try and attain that goal, it's forcing him to get his butt in gear school wise and get his undergrad completed first. Say what you want about him or his dad(I'm not the biggest fans of their actions or their posts online) but it would be good to see the kid ultimately get his degree at least.

I agree with this. I just really think that the Brands brothers are good at straightening kids out that have fallen off the right path a bit.

#16 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

Win/Win.  

Iowa remains in the top ten and PDIII graduates college.

I'm pretty sure he has already graduated.  Otherwise he would have had to sit out a year, right?

#17 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

I'm pretty sure he has already graduated.  Otherwise he would have had to sit out a year, right?

He needs a couple more online classes to graduate which he is taking fall semester. When he graduates at semester he will have to enroll in grad school at Iowa (not necessarily cheap) and is supposedly eligible immediately. 

Which begs the question as to why don't more wrestlers do this? 

#18 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

*slams face into wall repeatedly*

• tightwaist, scribe, GranbyTroll and 1 other like this

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

#19 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

If anyone is looking for a new least favorite team, Iowa should have sprinted into the lead here.

#20 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

He needs a couple more online classes to graduate which he is taking fall semester. When he graduates at semester he will have to enroll in grad school at Iowa (not necessarily cheap) and is supposedly eligible immediately. 

Which begs the question as to why don't more wrestlers do this?

I think we see something like 30% attrition by year in college wrestling. Very few athletes make it through for four years (let alone five or a graduate transfer). Of course, we don't notice because the only athletes that are followed, for the most part, are the national contenders.

We have seen it happen in wrestling. But even in Basketball and Football it isn't too common and there are many more teams and athletes.
Twitter: @Pinnum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users