Sign in to follow this  
stp

Best free agent move?

Iowa or tOSU, who benefits most?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who scores more team points at nationals?

Objectively, it's PD3. He is a more proven guy on the mat. Off the mat issues are offset to a great degree by this being his last shot at NCAAs and the Brands, in my opinion.

objectively break it down to show the clear advantage for PD3 please

Too many variables to really make an informed decision. Is McKenna going 141 or 149. Is Downey actually going to stay eligible? If so, is he going 184 or 197?

I would say McKenna as of now simply from a higher probability of actually wrestling. However, if Downey actually makes it to the Tourney, I would say he is a very solid top 5 at either weight while McKenna could finish as low as R12 at much deeper weights.

Better wins (e.g. Gabe Dean). McKenna failed to place last year. That's a start.

nice W over Dean for sure but in freestyle. McKenna failed to place but was a high seed and was 3rd the year before, same year PD3 was 5th. I really don't see a clear objective advantage for PD3.

It was freestyle but can you seriously ignore the result given the way the match went? It was not a fluke at all and Dean was days removed from the NCAAs, in peak condition (there are some unconfirmed rumors that he was injured and not 100%, but I'm discounting them). PD3 was 5th without being fully sized for 197 and could've gone 184. It doesn't magically turn the 5 into a 3, but it's something to consider. Also, you can't really discount the recency of McKenna's DNP. It's not like he hasn't choked before. He has had bad losses. He has also had weight issues in the past.

I don't think one is clearly over the other but if I take all the drama over PD3's behavior etc. out of the equation and just look at wrestling results, I give PD3 the nod. Admittedly, you can't totally separate one from the other, but how do you properly handicap PD3 for his off the mat exploits? What about the possibility that he truly gives it his all at Iowa and shows up in the shape of his life on a mission to prove doubters wrong? Improbable, maybe, but even the harshest critic has to acknowledge that scenario is possible and PD3 has the ability to deliver in a huge way.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Penn state retaining Soriano is the biggest free agent get. That none move keeps the Nitteny Lions solidly in the national title lead even with Ohio State getting McKenna and Iowa getting PDIII. Losing him would have made the vulnerable with the other moves happening.

Edited by MadMardigain

Penn state retaining Soriano is the biggest free agent get. That none move keeps the Nitteny Lions solidly in the national title lead even with Ohio State getting McKenna and Iowa getting PDIII. Losing him would have made the vulnerable with the other moves happening.

Was Suriano a free agent? I'd say he was still an indentured servant with contractual limits placed on him with regards to where he could compete.

(And another edit --- freaking bad at this iPhone typing crap!)

Edited by nom

From perspective of the wrestler --- DEFINITELY PD3 -- got picked up by an amazing program even though many considered him radioactive. McKenna goes from Stanford to Ohio State.

(Edit again - Face palm. ... amazing turned into amassing)

Edited by nom

I think McKenna improves greatly this year - not that he isn't exceptional already, I just think he regressed a bit last year and tOSU room will be more conducive to him regaining and improving beyond where he was.  I think McKenna's ceiling is higher than PDIII's and with his mindset, I think he will get much more out of his time at tOSU.  PDIII is definitely a rare talent as well, so he can greatly improve too, but I give the mental edge to make it happen to JM.  That said, I wouldnt at all be surprised to see PDIII in the finals.

All depends on the weight for PDIII. 184 is a deep weight class and Downey doesn't strike me as the type that will be able to deal with a sustained weigh cut with 1 hour weigh-ins over a 3 month period. He never would of been able to beat Dean at 184 in college, imo, in fact I think Dean would have dominated him in the third period. At 197, I'd pick Downey without a doubt. Don't have to worry about weight management issues and it's a much thinner weigh class. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I feel like McKenna stands the better chance at having an impact because Iowa's upper weights were not even close to the meat of their line-up last season. From 174 up, beyond Downey, Iowa looks pretty darn thin. 

The answer is McKenna. Downey has to finish at ISU, enroll at Iowa, stay healthy, and stay on the team. All of those things have been an issue for him in the past. As of today, Downey is a better bet to match my point total this March than McKenna's. Once he is actually enrolled at Iowa, this can be revisited.