Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

Big Ten Conference Could Consider Expelling Penn State

Not going to happen. I grew up a PSU fan, have had a ton of friends and family attend the school (and play various sports), but I have to believe if ever a program (football) deserved the death penalty, it's PSU.

If you're going to punish schools for improper benefits (SMU), what does this deserve?

I hope they do "Expell" PSU from the BIG whatever...2.6 million and change is needed for the football program to get on its feet...We do have a 4 team playoff coming but under the current format the BIG whatever has done nothing IRT FOOTBALL...Waiting for the Command Decision!!!

Not going to happen. The BIG expanded to 12 for the conference football championship game...in other words $$$. They are not going to kick out Penn State and loose all that $...remember that is how decisions get made these days.

What's to stop the Big Ten from booting Penn State out, and replacing them with, say, West Virginia? You know West Virginia is going to want to leave the Big 12 as soon as they figure out that they are going to be spending most of their money flying their women's tennis team to Manhattan, Kansas every other year (and airfares to cities like Manhattan are NOT cheap!).

Not going to happen. The BIG expanded to 12 for the conference football championship game...in other words $$$. They are not going to kick out Penn State and loose all that $...remember that is how decisions get made these days.

What's to stop the Big Ten from booting Penn State out, and replacing them with, say, West Virginia? You know West Virginia is going to want to leave the Big 12 as soon as they figure out that they are going to be spending most of their money flying their women's tennis team to Manhattan, Kansas every other year (and airfares to cities like Manhattan are NOT cheap!).

Academics. Big Ten would probably go for a lot of other schools over WVU. WVU doesn't really fit their culture.

Academics. Big Ten would probably go for a lot of other schools over WVU. WVU doesn't really fit their culture.

When I first heard this option listed, I thought Rutgers. Or how about Pitt for a slap in the face to the PSU fans?

State penns athletic programs would be doomed if this were to ever happen. I personally don't think any other school will get the death penalty after the SMU situation but state penn deserves it if any school would. It's disgusting to think about the cover ups there. All their football accomplishments should be taken away, Jo pas legacy is ruined rightfully so, and their fans should be ashamed of themselves for still supporting trash like that.

They would no doubt have to buy you a new computer because without the PSU "Train" in the mix your calculations would be more flawed...Minnesota would be happy as far as the BIG Wrestling Championships are concerned....If the focus was Women's Basketball I'd be more concerned!!!

In a word ... MONEY! Another word that comes to mind is LAWSUIT! (which really boils down to MONEY). Penn State generates a lot of revenue and exposure for the B1G and the issue of jurisdiction would open them to lawsuits.

Also, punishing PSU because of what Sandusky did and because of poor handling of the problem by an administration that has since been replaced and/or is now dead does not fix the problem and would do more harm than good. PSU is in the process of implementing new procedures to avoid this type of thing from ever happening again and has held accountable all who were involved in the horrible coverup. Why punish student athletes from all sports, PSU fans, Big Ten fans and hurt B1G revenue when the answer requires changes that are already being implemented?

In a word ... MONEY! Another word that comes to mind is LAWSUIT! (which really boils down to MONEY). Penn State generates a lot of revenue and exposure for the B1G and the issue of jurisdiction would open them to lawsuits.

Also, punishing PSU because of what Sandusky did and because of poor handling of the problem by an administration that has since been replaced and/or is now dead does not fix the problem and would do more harm than good. PSU is in the process of implementing new procedures to avoid this type of thing from ever happening again and has held accountable all who were involved in the horrible coverup. Why punish student athletes from all sports, PSU fans, Big Ten fans and hurt B1G revenue when the answer requires changes that are already being implemented?

Have to say I agree with skikayaker here.

The Man is dead, his statue is gone and his legacy destroyed. There is a lot of work for the new staff to build this back up. President and AD both gone. Some punishment is due, but death penalty or being removed from Big Ten is hurting the wrong people. The athletes had nothing to do with this. I hope O'Briens Lions get started right away and everyone moves on. It's disgusting what happened to the many victims but there war goes on still in another way and I beleve they will all be well taken care of. That doesn't mean they will ever forget the horrible things sandusky did to them, but it should ease the pain as time goes on. The University will never let anything like this ever happen again. It should also be a reminder to all parents out there Never Ever trust anyone with your kids period. Teach them as soon as you can to keep an eye on the wicked ways of this world. There are too many Wolves in sheep's clothing. Just my two cents...

So what is a just punishment? Just an honest question. I don't think they should get the death penalty either. Unfortunately somebody has to pay for those sick bastards though. And that includes Jo pa and anyone involved. He's dead. Good riddance. Whoever is still Alive should go straight to prison IMO.

For the university I think scholarships should be gone though and a ban from bowl games should be minimum 3 years. Yes that is hurting the current athletes but is nothing in comparison to what the victims feel. Thank goodness the statue came down though. Not everyone from state penn apparently is a complete moron.

Have to say I agree with skikayaker here.

The Man is dead, his statue is gone and his legacy destroyed. There is a lot of work for the new staff to build this back up. President and AD both gone. Some punishment is due, but death penalty or being removed from Big Ten is hurting the wrong people. The athletes had nothing to do with this. I hope O'Briens Lions get started right away and everyone moves on. It's disgusting what happened to the many victims but there war goes on still in another way and I beleve they will all be well taken care of. That doesn't mean they will ever forget the horrible things sandusky did to them, but it should ease the pain as time goes on. The University will never let anything like this ever happen again. It should also be a reminder to all parents out there Never Ever trust anyone with your kids period. Teach them as soon as you can to keep an eye on the wicked ways of this world. There are too many Wolves in sheep's clothing. Just my two cents...

Probably couldn't be better said. Skikayaker has pwn3d me on this topic...

Have to say I agree with skikayaker here. The Man is dead, his statue is gone and his legacy destroyed. There is a lot of work for the new staff to build this back up. President and AD both gone. Some punishment is due, but death penalty or being removed from Big Ten is hurting the wrong people. The athletes had nothing to do with this. I hope O'Briens Lions get started right away and everyone moves on. It's disgusting what happened to the many victims but there war goes on still in another way and I beleve they will all be well taken care of. That doesn't mean they will ever forget the horrible things sandusky did to them, but it should ease the pain as time goes on. The University will never let anything like this ever happen again. It should also be a reminder to all parents out there Never Ever trust anyone with your kids period. Teach them as soon as you can to keep an eye on the wicked ways of this world. There are too many Wolves in sheep's clothing. Just my two cents...

I don't disagree, but if you look at the punishments handed out in the past by the NCAA, they are more times than not handed out AFTER the guilty parties have moved on. Take a look at the programs that John Calipari has run, or Pete Carrol, or Dennis Errickson. Those guys all ran dirty programs, but were able to move on (and make a ton of money), while the programs they left behind paid the price.

The precedent in place by the NCAA is to punish the program, not the individuals who actually committed the infractions.

I don't disagree, but if you look at the punishments handed out in the past by the NCAA, they are more times than not handed out AFTER the guilty parties have moved on. Take a look at the programs that John Calipari has run, or Pete Carrol, or Dennis Errickson. Those guys all ran dirty programs, but were able to move on (and make a ton of money), while the programs they left behind paid the price.

The precedent in place by the NCAA is to punish the program, not the individuals who actually committed the infractions.

Unfortunately you are right, it will be interesting to hear what the NCAA does.

I don't really know anything about the PSU scandal or what's at stake, so forgive my simple question. But, did anything they do give them a competitive advantage?

That's not to say there shouldn't be significant consequences. There should be. I'm just wondering, though.

I don't really know anything about the PSU scandal or what's at stake, so forgive my simple question. But, did anything they do give them a competitive advantage?

That's not to say there shouldn't be significant consequences. There should be. I'm just wondering, though.

You might want to stop living under a rock if you don't know anything about the PSU scandal.

So ... When it's all said and done .... The Football players should all get unconditional releases, to move on to the school of their choice.

If the NCAA kicks the kids to the curb, I will start e-mailing the NCAA President (former UW knucklehead) and complain like HELL !!!

Yes. They didnt make it public because of the bad publicity it would cause. Bad publicity turns kids away and gives rival coaches tool to use against them when recruiting. So YES it gve them a competitive advantage.

My opinion is the death penalty for football ( which we now know from todays espn reports isnt going to happen) and 2 year post season ban on ALL sports.