Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Day 2 Greco

USA, my country, the country I was born in.......why can't we do anything in Greco?

This is beyond losing face. We placed dead last!

Moldova and Chile placed.

The coach needs to be fired! That we can be world class in freestyle and be chumps at greco makes no sense! None

USA, my country, the country I was born in.......why can't we do anything in Greco?

The coach needs to be fired! That we can be world class in freestyle and be chumps at greco makes no sense! None

We weren't last. We had 1 point from Robbie Smith getting 10th place. :)

Not sure if it's the current coach at fault...we've sucked for a good long while now. While eastern bloc Greco countries have divided up the last 25 years and created many more participants per weight and training techniques have become much more streamlined, we've moved FURTHER from an international styles focus at our youth levels with greater and greater focus on folkstyle. Greco is miles from freestyle and lightyears from folkstyle in terms of technique crossover help for accumulating those mat-time hours. While dozens of other nations have moved forward, we've stood still and possibly moved backward in terms of our overall development system. I've shown the math on this before: we have the single greatest disparity in the world in terms of performance between the two styles. Hungary, South Korea, and Armenia come close in the opposite direction, performing very well in Greco and rarely medaling in free. But we're the most lopsided toward one style and away from the other.

Our results:  hard to excel when greco is your default choice in styles.  Overall, our guys may do some greco in youth, but by and large focus on it exclusively after their folk career is finished and they still have the jones to compete.  By contrast, the guys from the other nations have been focusing on greco since about age 10--hard to make up the fundamental habits of tactics, position, strategy, and technique.  Some have done it, but it's a catch up game few can pull off.  Yes, we won a world team title when the stars aligned, but being consistent year to year is a tough gig here.

Fun fact, Riza Kayaalp won Worlds without scoring a single offensive point. Every point he "earned" was via stepouts and passivity.

I watched it last night.  I'll never do it again.  What a horrible sport at the highest levels.  Sumo is far superior.  

Please someone tell me how Iran with 3 medals (bronze)

has more points than Turkey who have 2 golds and 1 bronze. 

Essentially both have 3 medals. 

It's fing stupid is what I call it. Too, both have 2 5th placers.

N6ioqgo_QWGN6fTpgUC_uw.png

Because that is not all their point scorers. They score down to 10th place.

I have no idea what's going on in the wrestling room, training, peaking, etc, but I really like what Coach Lindland has to say in all his interviews. No nonsense type of guy. Also got to meet him at last year's Farrell and he was a complete class act to me.

Which American(s) were you expecting to medal in Greco this year? Do you really think a different coach would have produced medals in this year's tournament?

I have no idea what's going on in the wrestling room, training, peaking, etc, but I really like what Coach Lindland has to say in all his interviews. No nonsense type of guy. Also got to meet him at last year's Farrell and he was a complete class act to me.Which American(s) were you expecting to medal in Greco this year? Do you really think a different coach would have produced medals in this year's tournament?

I agree completely. Our Junior and Cadet programs have made great strides. You're not going to compete on a World level, unless the Stars aligned right, in Greco taking people who have just finished their college career in folkstyle unless they are superior athlete. We are finally starting to get young people into Greco and that is helping us. It's not like we're getting destroyed every single match. Some of the officiating nuances cause our guys to seem to get more passives than other countries but all in all I think Lindland has done a good job. I don't think there's any of our senior athletes who are a consistent medal threat nor have they ever been even before Matt got there.

It amazes me that we win a World Team title and shun the man that was *mostly* responsible for that.  Ivan Ivanov is the best greco coach in the country and he's busy doing level 1 certifications for his dummy bags.  

They messed up a good thing by not giving him what he wanted at NMU.  And it looks like, unless someone has another explanation that USA Wrestling messed up their relationship with the WCAP.

Mismanagement all around, but I do have faith in Lindland.  If you're interested in his thoughts head on over to fivepointmove.com.  The interviews with Lindland are amazing and enlightening.  He goes into rich detail on his thoughts and plans for the greco team.  We need younger guys and we need them immersing in the style year round.  It's not rocket science.

I still have memories of Lindland coming on these very boards when he was recruiting for his MMA team.  He blasted wrestling, calling it a dead end, badmouthing it because he claims he never made any money, etc.  Now he wants kids to dedicate themselves to greco?  He's got a long way to go to prove himself with the senior team.

I have no idea what's going on in the wrestling room, training, peaking, etc, but I really like what Coach Lindland has to say in all his interviews. No nonsense type of guy. Also got to meet him at last year's Farrell and he was a complete class act to me.

Which American(s) were you expecting to medal in Greco this year? Do you really think a different coach would have produced medals in this year's tournament?

Good point...there is a dearth of wrestlers....

Because that is not all their point scorers. They score down to 10th place.

I went on medals=0. Oh wait there were many "dead lasts" my mistake!

Not on points. It's a pathetic wash anyway, medals or points. 

When I wrestled back in the ancient times ( no not Rome) we actually 

practiced with the Judo team at SFSU. We were into throws and 

greco style grappling. But that is one school, one team -ages ago. People aren't into greco.

She scored 52 total.

Fumita scored 21

Ryu scored 13

Staebler scored 36

Nemes had 2 falls so I'll need to watch his matches but he had 9 points in his decision wins

Maanukhan had 26 plus a fall

Basar scored 23

Aleksanyan scored 30

Kayaalp scored 9

She out scored 3 Greco Champs combined. Impressive for her, sad for the Greco Community.