Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

Maroulis - best three year run?

Is that the most dominant 3-year run in USA Wrestling history?  I was at Vegas, she smoked everyone but don't recall if it was all techs.  Then she beats one of the GOATs in the Olympic finals.  Comes back up two weights and is a destroyer of worlds, all techs. 

How many US wrestlers can match that run?  I know she was pinned in her first post-Olympic tourney, did she have any other losses in the last three years?

Edit - changed topic name since a similar one was started. 

Edited by Gantry

For the first time we have a female wrestler that is marketable beyond women. I mean I have have never seen a female wrestler as marketable as our best men. Sanderson, Snyder, Burroughs. Not quite but she is in their league not especially after this performance. She is very attractive as well to boot. And yes we have never had that kind of domination in the USA. She is outdoing all comers in all three styles in the world even over Sadullaev.  

Edited by PRyan2012

For the first time we have a female wrestler that is marketable beyond women. I mean I have have never seen a female wrestler as marketable as our best men. Sanderson, Snyder, Burroughs. Not quite but she is in their league not especially after this performance. She is very attractive as well to boot. And yes we have never had that kind of domination in the USA. She is outdoing all comers in all three styles in the world even over Sadullaev.

This is probably a bad analogy, but maybe she'll draw interest to the sport & womens' wrestling the same way Ronda Rousey did for MMA/WMMA. Actually, maybe we'll see them in some sort of exhibition match someday - they're about the same weight and would draw quite a viewership.

Not only is Maryland home to the undisputed two best US wrestlers, if Synder wins on Saturday a case could be made that Maryland is the home to the two best WORLD wrestlers. 

I don't know about that.  It's not like they've lived in Maryland the past few years....

Maroulis was out in Canada, Colorado and CA for a while, now NY.

I don't know about that. It's not like they've lived in Maryland the past few years....

Maroulis was out in Canada, Colorado and CA for a while, now NY.

...and as several top girls, trained and stayed with Kevin Black family in River Falls, Wisconsin for a while.

FWUW, and she is clearly the most dominate wrestler in the world, maybe dominate women's wrestler ever, but did get caught in a random tournament in December (I think it was December). That might be the last time for a very long time.

FWUW, and she is clearly the most dominate wrestler in the world, maybe dominate women's wrestler ever, but did get caught in a random tournament in December (I think it was December). That might be the last time for a very long time.

To be fair, she was wrestling up three weight classes from her Olympic weight in her first tournament after Rio, in the Ukraine on a training trip with Kalika, I believe. Hard to give that showing a whole lot weight, no pun intended. 

Not a criticism of what she did today, I mean holy crap.... just putting it out there. Besides Yoshida won most of her titles at 125. Also won titles in four weights. Helen had won a world title up a weight. So it is not as if she was this tiny thing that suddenly went up. Icho was 136 forever before she dropped in 2016. So essentially Icho and Yoshida wrestled up a weight their entire careers. That they could go down later on in their careers is remarkable. What Helen did in the domination was unprecedented, the best womens performance ever, but the jump weights thing.... not so much.

Now here is the cool thing about Helens story, she chased Yoshida. Sucked all that weight for a vision quest. I think Icho, based on what we saw today, would have been an easier match without the cut. Yoshida was the GOAT, and she went after her. Won. In a controlled match that she probably could have dominated more.