MA_Wrestler

Men's freestyle, day 1

Might as well get it going now!

Richard Immel tweeted that Steiber has Rashidov 1st round, winner gets Khinghegashvilli! Damn, doesnt get any tougher than that!

Brackets are up yet but the draws have been posted. Hard to follow just off those, but I do know Cox is on the bottom half with Yasar and Yazdani-Chariti on top. Couldnt really decipher much about Gilman and Gwiz but hopefully full brackets will be up soon.

We knew going in 61 is the toughest and deepest weight. Steiber needs to come out firing. Hell, even if he beats Rashidov and loses to khinchegashvilli, if he gets pulled back in and gets a bronze while Russia gets eliminated with 0 points thats a big plus for us. Hoping for gold from him obviously, and its not out of the question, but it will be tough! The Russian at 86 Valiev is top side with Yasar and Yazdani so that helps us too, especially if Cox can make it to the finals.

Brackets up!

Looking at 57, Gilman has Ukraine, then most likely Iran. More than likely Azerbijian would be his 1/4 opponent if he makes it that far. Jong from PRK or Sanayev from Kazakistan look like probable other semi finalist up top.

Bottom side is nuts. Atli from Turkey vs Lomtadze, Georgia 1st round, and Tomar, India vs Uguev, Russia! Thats 4 of the bigger favorites here, and whoever emerges from those 1st round matches looks likely to meet in the quarters! Dubov is the only name I'm familiar with on bottom quarter.

61: Already discussed Steiber, he is the only one with a bye first round, Rashidov has a match to get to him first. Khinchegashvilli most likely in the 1/4 for one of those two. Not very familiar with any other names in the other top quarter, so pretty safe bet one of those 3 will be in finals, hell they might be the 3 best!

Aliyiev could have Japan 2nd round in the next 1/4 bracket, I believe it is the Japanese wrestler who beat Higauchi. Im thinking winner there is likely favorite to make semis.

Bottom quarter looks like Bonne vs Ehsanpour in 2nd round. Niyazebekov, Kazikstan vs Frangulyan 1st round, looks like likely quarter final opponet for Ehsanpour or Bonne.

86:

Yasar up top, Espinal possible 2nd round opponent. Valiev, Russia vs Yasar likely top quarter matchup, and thats big because Yazdani-Chariti likely semi matchup so very possible Valiev/Yasar loser doesnt get pulled back in. Gostiev, Azerbijian could have Georgi 2nd round then Yazdani-Chariti in 1/4.

Ganev the only name I'm familiar with in the next section bracket, but hes getting up there in age. He could see a Cuban or Uzbekistan in quarters, but again I'm not familiar with many in this 14 bracket.

Bottom quarter, Cox looks to have two lesser know countries/opponents to get to quarters. Could have 2 seed from Poland, Baranowski or Vareeb, Hungary vs Orgodool from Mongolia 2nd round winner. If he gets by his 1/4 you have to love Cox's chance to make the finals!

125:

Not a very large bracket at all. Akgul up top, just needs to win two to make semis, should coast.

Mohebi vs Uzbekistan, winner gets Zaseev from Ukraine (former silver medalist) in round of 16. Gwiz gets Moldova first, then Ligeti of Hungary to get to quarter vs either Iran or Ukraine. Tough road, especially with Akgul waiting in semis, so he needs to come out of the quarter or he will almost certainly be eliminated. Much better talent in that quarter.

Bernadze of Armenia vs Baran, Poland looks like the next quarter. Petriashvilli looks like he should cruise to the finals.

Dont see much depth here, would be very surprised not to see Akgul vs Petriashvilli in finals.

Yea, I definitely forgot about the artist formerly known as Opan Sat in my little breakdown. I dont know if he's still at the level he was at years ago when he was right there with Kudukhov, but if he's even close to it I think he has a pretty good shot at being a semi-finalist. Maybe we even see a rematch of Sat vs Steiber, either in semis or for bronze?

Hate to complain but how do you justify some getting byes? Not having a first round match is an advantage. Looking at Gwiz having to wrestling UKR guy in the 1/8. He is a big dude and that one match is going to be huge. And then Akgul wont even break a sweat before the semis and he has a buy. Gwiz overcomes this it would be beyond amazing. Only draw that went our way was Mr Cox!

Edited by PRyan2012

Hate to complain but how do you justify some getting byes? Not having a first round match is an advantage. Looking at Gwiz having to wrestling UKR guy in the 1/8. He is a big dude and that one match is going to be huge. And then Akgul wont even break a sweat before the semis and he has a buy. Gwiz overcomes this it would be beyond amazing. Only draw that went our way was Mr Cox!

Given that there aren't powers of two- how do you figure on not giving byes?

And given the otherwise seemingly odd method of packing the bracket from bottom up, there's no more than one match each round that has a bye inequity.

125:

Mohebi vs Uzbekistan, winner gets Zaseev from Ukraine (former silver medalist) in round of 16

just in case you didn't notice, the Uzbek guy is Davit Modzmanashvili, former Olympic silver medalist from Georgia. this is his debut for Uzbekistan

just in case you didn't notice, the Uzbek guy is Davit Modzmanashvili, former Olympic silver medalist from Georgia. this is his debut for Uzbekistan

Nope, missed that too! I do remember that result now that you mention it, thanks. So yea, thats a tough first round match and even tougher match in the next round. Feels like that quarter is the toughest quarter here, and again with Akgul waiting in the semis only 1 of those several good credentialed guys will get pulled back. Whoever takes 5th from that top half will likely not be as good as a few guys who dont get pulled back in.

Cox should make the finals with this draw. Plus his finals opponent is going to be in for a rough day. Couldn't have asked for a better draw.

Gilman got lucky too, although he is not favored to get to the semis. He certainly could, however. Nobody on his side should run through him on paper, but he also has almost no experience on this level and is susceptible to arm throws.

Steiber's draw is insane. He could win against Rashidov and he is favored, but not a fun first round opponent. He has a chance against Georgia, but he needs to start off fast and look for a lace immediately. The longer that match goes, the more likely it is for Steiber to get caught and lose. 

If he gets through those two opponents and isn't dead, he will win gold. 

Gwiz has an OK draw. He has to make the semis, but if he does, he has a shot at bronze. Seems unlikely, but he is our best shot at a medal. Offensive, quick heavyweights are the way of the future. 

Very interesting matchups! I can't wait for tonight! 4am wake up will be worth it! I'm hoping for 3 medals. Somewhat confident in Jden. The rest? Not sure. 

I see one medal

Jden Silver Loses to Valiev who beats Yazdani

Gwiz Loses to UKR DNP

Logan 0-1 DNP Should get Bronze but draw can not get any harder

Gilman 7th 2-1

I think Steiber can beat Rashidov, and if he does that I think he absolutely wins a medal. Even if he loses to Khinchegashvilli, he will almost certainly get pulled back in, and I dont see anyone else up top who poses a threat to him.

I see Russia potnetiall having a very bad day and it's not out of the question for them to end the day with 1 or no medals.

We already dont expect anything from their 125. Rashidov we have already talked about, he could very well beat Steiber and Khinchegashvilli, or he could lose and not get pulled back in.

Valiev will have Yasar, not out of the question to lose that match then have Yasar lose to Yazdani-Chariti to knock him out. Again, Valiev could certainly beat Yasar, but I dont think it would be an upset if he doesnt.

Uguev could win this whole bracket, but he has a very tough draw and there are a lot of evenly matched guys here. Tomar 1st, then very possibly Atli or Lomtadze in the quarters, with Dubov awaiting whoever comes out of that quarter. It isnt like this guy is Kudukhov level good, so while I think he will medal, it wont be mind blowing if he drops a match to Atli who then loses to Dubov or something.

Was told stieber and khinchegashvili did some workouts together over the summer and it was pretty one sided in favor of khin.

Seems like a terrible matchup stylistically for Logan.  Logan wants to attack in volume and push the pace... Khin prefers to counter and has some freaky defense. Logan has a habit of giving up early leads and Khin isn't the guy you want to wrestle from behind.  

Seems like a terrible matchup stylistically for Logan.  Logan wants to attack in volume and push the pace... Khin prefers to counter and has some freaky defense. Logan has a habit of giving up early leads and Khin isn't the guy you want to wrestle from behind.  

This, exactly.  I give Logan a 50-60% chance of getting by Rashidov. I give him about 30-40% chance of getting by Khin.  Khin has one of the best wrestling IQs in all of the lighter weights.  He's not invincible though, and has dropped a couple of surprise matches this year.  Logan says he's not much of a gameplanner, and just looks to light up the scoreboard.  I'd like to see more of a gameplan heading into the Khin match.  

From a sheer fan's perspective, it is a beautiful thing that we'll get to see the trio of Logan, Rashidov, and Khin battle it out.  

WAR LOGAN!