MA_Wrestler

Men's freestyle, day 1

I have to give credit to some of you that knew Stieber couldn't hang with the two guys he lost to.  I mean that.  I thought he was probably going to finish top 3, but he clearly cannot beat two wrestlers in this tournament.

You cant call Steiber's title last year a fluke, he beat the 4 best guys at that weight in a row and earnd that title. That said, there are guys at the weight now that are just on a whole different level. Steiber lost to the two best guys in the bracket, no shame in that, but would have liked to see it be a bit more competitive than being shutout and teched twice. Aliyev is on that level too, should be a great final.

You cant call Steiber's title last year a fluke, he beat the 4 best guys at that weight in a row and earnd that title. That said, there are guys at the weight now that are just on a whole different level. Steiber lost to the two best guys in the bracket, no shame in that, but would have liked to see it be a bit more competitive than being shutout and teched twice. Aliyev is on that level too, should be a great final.

You're right that it wasn't a fluke, but it was an emptied out weight with no Olympians there (a bit like 57 kg is at this tournament). With that said he's definitely a top 10 wrestler at the weight and medal contender with a good draw.

please stop calling for Taylor, he's not there. Cox just lost in the world SEMIS!! Did he get a good draw, was he favored? it's all irrelevant, he's our guy. 

Olympic bronze, followed by let's hope a world bronze, i'll take that every day...

COX COX COX

In fairness to Stieber, the two guys he lost to were light years better than anyone that the other Americans have wrestled excluding the Turkish Hvy who destroyed Gwiz.  Cox got caught in two of his matches and it cost him one.  He has wrestled well otherwise.  

Stieber had a brutal draw and couldn't overcome it.  That said--he looked over-matched.  

I have to give credit to some of you that knew Stieber couldn't hang with the two guys he lost to.  I mean that.  I thought he was probably going to finish top 3, but he clearly cannot beat two wrestlers in this tournament.

I think there are more wrestlers he would have lost to. I don't see him as a world champion level wrestler quite yet. The World championships the same year as the Olympics is usually the lowest quality of wrestling you'll see at this level. It's even below the World championships the year after the Olympics, which is the least meaningful of the four year cycle. That's why this year's tournament is important for 2020; this is the best chance to pick up a medal. I liked everyone's chances going into this tournament. Wouldn't be surprised by any of our guys winning it tomorrow. I think there's a very realistic chance next year that Zain is the only returning, defending World champion in college. Never would have guessed that after 2016.

There's no evidence that it does, He lost to two guys way better than he has ever been. No shame in that.

Logan beat Romanov the year Romanov won worlds.  Logan at his best can beat anybody. Today he clearly was not at his best. He and his coaches have to figure out why that is.  But Romanov would beat Kinch or Rashidov...and Logan at his best beat Romanov. Though perhaps Romanov had a bad match that day. I think the world has scouted Logan pretty good now is part of it. 

please stop calling for Taylor, he's not there. Cox just lost in the world SEMIS!! Did he get a good draw, was he favored? it's all irrelevant, he's our guy.

Olympic bronze, followed by let's hope a world bronze, i'll take that every day...

COX COX COX

Did you watch his matches? It's not irrelevant. It was an awful performance. He was a completely different athlete than the one who fought for bronze in rio. Edited by Billyhoyle