• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

He's a world champ and a 4x NCAA champ. Can we at least spell his name right?

#2 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:18 AM

T-E-C-H F-A-L-L-E-D.
  • tbert and manyak like this

#3 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

Rude af

#4 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:33 AM

I didn't want to be the guy who stated this, but I wasn't putting a lot of excitement behind Logan's non-Olympic title last year. That is not to say that I wasn't excited for the guy, but, contrary to what Flo stated at that time, his path wasn't "loaded" with world beaters other the Ukrainian who had a bronze from the previous year. While it sucks that Logan got smoked by Rashidov and Khinchigashvili today, I think it goes to show just how big a difference a tournament makes when guys of that caliber don't attend. That said, Logie's there, he gets a feel for both of those horses and can adjust from here. I have high hopes for him moving forward.

• spladle08 likes this

#5 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,099 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:33 AM

Steiber.... crap, fingers will not cooperate. I tried, and hoping he wins bronze tonight.

#6 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:35 AM

Steiber.... crap, fingers will not cooperate. I tried, and hoping he wins bronze tonight.

He's already out of the tournament. The Georgian teched him in the repechage.

#7 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,099 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

Ah, missed that. Too big for the weight and cut getting to him?

#8 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:44 AM

I said to Rashdiov "be careful, he is world champ and NCAA 4 times champ" and he answered me "I don't care who is he"

• Tofurky, Coach_J and Cletus_Tucker like this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#9 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

I said to Rashdiov "be careful, he is world champ and NCAA 4 times champ" and he answered me "I don't care who is he"

#10 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,429 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:41 AM

A-B-D-U-L-L-A-H-G-A-D-Z-H-I K-H-U-Z-I-N

bcb81b457ae8b5a7254e0b8339e5d347.jpg

Edited by headshuck, 29 August 2017 - 02:43 AM.

#11 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:50 AM

You mean Streebler?

#12 tbert

tbert

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

He looked like a bag of bones..
MAGA!

#13 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:55 AM

Maybe he has peeked...

#14 maligned

maligned

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

He looked like a bag of bones..

I agree that he didn't look fit compared to his cut to 61kg last year. I wasn't there live last year but I was this year and I was immediately struck with how thin and not toned he looked. Rashidov looked like he outweighed him by 10 pounds. Is it possible he did a "smart" gradual cut that degraded him too significantly before the final dehydration part of his cut (a la Jonny Hendricks vs Stephen Thompsen, where his walkout weight looked 15 pounds lighter than any fight previously)? I mean, Stieber had amazing results against people better than Rashidov up at 65kg long before last year's worlds. In my opinion, he was not the same guy that won the title last year. 

#15 tbert

tbert

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

He really looked "skinny" compared to other times. His arms looked like pencils to me. Hope he figures it out. I think he has to go 65.
MAGA!

#16 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,639 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:47 AM

He has stated in interviews that he doesn't want to compete for too much longer and has his eyes set on coaching, which he's really passionate about. Maybe he's got one foot out the door. He's had an awesome career and I could see him moving on from competition within a year or two. Maybe give the Olympics one good run.

#17 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

He has stated in interviews that he doesn't want to compete for too much longer and has his eyes set on coaching, which he's really passionate about. Maybe he's got one foot out the door. He's had an awesome career and I could see him moving on from competition within a year or two. Maybe give the Olympics one good run.

That's a interesting thought.  Obviously these guys want to win for their own sake, but the guys who want to coach also must look at Senior level accomplishments as really important parts of the resume for a top college job.  Not that it makes them better coaches, but that it makes them much better in the living room with prospective recruits.  You don't want to be the top guy who doesn't boast an Olympic gold.  

#18 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

I agree that he didn't look fit compared to his cut to 61kg last year. I wasn't there live last year but I was this year and I was immediately struck with how thin and not toned he looked. Rashidov looked like he outweighed him by 10 pounds. Is it possible he did a "smart" gradual cut that degraded him too significantly before the final dehydration part of his cut (a la Jonny Hendricks vs Stephen Thompsen, where his walkout weight looked 15 pounds lighter than any fight previously)? I mean, Stieber had amazing results against people better than Rashidov up at 65kg long before last year's worlds. In my opinion, he was not the same guy that won the title last year. 

In his post-tourney interview the question was asked and he mentioned that he'd changed his body composition to try to adjust to making 61kg.  I think we're seeing that now.  I've never seen Stieber appear so obviously out horse-powered as he did in the Rashidov match.  

#19 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Pretty obvious that Stieber was not sharp at World's.  Typically his losses are highly competitive.  That said--his two losses were to total studs.  

As someone who has watched him closely for a long time, he peaked for the previous world tourney.  He was not sharp this cycle.  World Cup, Pan Ams, even the WTT's...he just never really seemed quite the wrestler he had been the previous season.  That may be the weight cut.  Or it may be something else.  Hard to say and I don't want to speculate.  All I know is he's had a brilliant career and stood atop every peak this sport offers save the Olympics.   We'll see whether or not he continues.  But from the standpoint of winning with class and personal conduct, he remains one of the great examples this country has to offer.  

Edited by silver-medal, 29 August 2017 - 08:07 AM.

• TheOhioState likes this

#20 maligned

maligned

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

In his post-tourney interview the question was asked and he mentioned that he'd changed his body composition to try to adjust to making 61kg.  I think we're seeing that now.  I've never seen Stieber appear so obviously out horse-powered as he did in the Rashidov match.  

I didn't see the interview but this makes sense. It's a fine line to walk with cutting well. On one hand, you want to be fully energized and have plenty in the tank for 4 or 5 matches; but on the other hand, you want to be as physically strong as possible, requiring you to do some degree of dehydration. There just are some cases where guys are gradually diminishing their calories, stripping away muscle while trying to be a smaller person to lessen the impact of the cut, and end up competing way smaller than the guys who dehydrate all the weight off at the last minute. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users