Buckxell

Magic man taking over Gilman role

Tweeting by a backup about the guy ahead of him before that guy has a medal match that is key for USA chances at a team title.  That is about as idiotic as it gets.  

If you feel the need to publicly run down a guy who beat you a few months ago, at least wait until after the tournament.  But I guess if you waited until later you couldn't get all the attention on yourself during the tournament and remind people how good you could have been in the tournament.  

Look in all seriousness the way our trials are designed it leaves a lot of ill-will. I thought Taylor seriously dropped the ball but that Cox got coddled by the officiating. I mean if Dake even thinks about stepping backwards against Burroughs he is going to get cautioned. But Cox got to flee the whole match which turned the mat into an ice skating rink. These are pro athletes. We can talk about team work and national spirit and what have you but these guys are ultimately on their own. I know Taylor thinks Cox got protected at the trials, and given that this is precisely what the trials are designed to do, protect the medalist, he's right. He is at least allowed to feel salty and you know he was waiting for the moment to arrive. 

Edited by straggler

I don't understand why DT shouldn't have said it, according to all the couch champions who come on here and twitter and say a hell of a lot worse all the time. DT is in there grinding out, sees this guy up close and personal, trains with him, helps him prepare, and because of that loses his right to voice his opinion? Seriously?

Bravo to DT for saying what (seemingly) everyone was thinking and many others were saying as well. No problem here with it whatsoever.

What you or I say as fans has virtually no impact.

DT is representing USA wrestling. They should outwardly show support for each other.

Completely different scenarios

Do you mean plenty of others in his situation, or plenty of other fans? Because comments like these from a fellow national team member is unprecedented as far as I can recall. Can you think of a similar situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fans. I thought I made that obvious.

Look in all seriousness the way our trials are designed it leaves a lot of ill-will. I thought Taylor seriously dropped the ball but that Cox got coddled by the officiating. I mean if Dake even thinks about stepping backwards against Burroughs he is going to get cautioned. But Cox got to flee the whole match which turned the mat into an ice skating rink. These are pro athletes. We can talk about team work and national spirit and what have you but these guys are ultimately on their own. I know Taylor thinks Cox got protected at the trials, and given that this is precisely what the trials are designed to do, protect the medalist, he's right. He is at least allowed to feel salty and you know he was waiting for the moment to arrive. 

This is all probably true (or close enough).  I don't expect these guys to hold hands and sing "God Bless America".

I had no problem with Taylor being angry and expressing it after.  If he complained about the unfairness of the system like Dake has I'd have no problem with it.  If he talked in an interview (or even tweeted) after the Worlds that he felt he could have done better that'd be fine.  If he rooted against Cox to make sure Cox had no advantage next year I'd get it.  I think Taylor would have performed better than this version of Cox (which might be the best version).  

But tweeting in the middle of the ongoing tournament to put all the attention on himself is petty and screams "Look at me! Please Look at me!"  

08/25/17: Weekly World Twitter Championships: 1st Place DT.

Summary: Congratulations to David Taylor for this major accomplishment. He undoubtedly will be a force in the up and coming Olympic Twitter Team Trials.

This may be his most impressive accomplishment given one person has held that title all of 2017 so far. I don't care if it's been a slow week politically, a WWT championship, even in a slow week is something to be proud of.

That said, he has no chance in the Twitter team trials. The current champ has an automatic path to the finals and David will have to go through the mini tournament.

Edited by Crotalus

What you or I say as fans has virtually no impact.

DT is representing USA wrestling. They should outwardly show support for each other.

Completely different scenarios

You're assuming that these athletes don't follow message boards and we all know that's not the case.

DT still feeling the sting of the WTT match and was wearing his heart on his sleeve a little much in the tweet. Legit comment maybe. One several people felt and said sure. One anothet top USA wrestler needed posted on twitter for the world to comment on probably not. But trying to live through Cox and knowing he could have been there in that position likely causes a little more surly tweet than if the background would have been different.

Truthfully, I didn't think that at all.

Did you watch the match live?  It was absolutely brutal. I really hope the performance was due to some combination of: Injuries impacting his preparation, having his mind on football instead of training, and having gone through a brutal folkstyle season/being burned out.  I hope Taylor's tweet lit a fire in him though..Would love to see him get some experience at some top world tournaments this upcoming year.