Gantry

MFS Day 2

Is 6 medals at 8 wts the best performance in USA history (84 was tainted)?  

This wikipedia page has all the answers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_results_in_men%27s_freestyle_wrestling

The early to mid 1990s right after the fall of USSR was the golden age. But here's some facts:

1989: USA had 6/10 weight classes in the finals (2 golds, 4 silvers)

1991: USA had 6/10 weight classes in the finals (3 golds, 3 silvers)

1993: USA had 5/10 weight classes in the finals (4 golds, 1 silver). USA wins team title.

1995: USA had 4/10 weight classes in the finals (4 golds). USA wins team title.

1995: USA had 4/10 weight classes in the finals (3 golds, 1 silver). USA wins team title.

Since 1996 and excluding this year we have only had one year where more than two people made the finals (in 2004 we had three finalists).

This wikipedia page has all the answers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_results_in_men%27s_freestyle_wrestling

The early to mid 1990s right after the fall of USSR was the golden age. But here's some facts:

1989: USA had 6/10 weight classes in the finals (2 golds, 4 silvers)

1991: USA had 6/10 weight classes in the finals (3 golds, 3 silvers)

1993: USA had 5/10 weight classes in the finals (4 golds, 1 silver). USA wins team title.

1995: USA had 4/10 weight classes in the finals (4 golds). USA wins team title.

1995: USA had 4/10 weight classes in the finals (3 golds, 1 silver). USA wins team title.

Since 1996 and excluding this year we have only had one year where more than two people made the finals (in 2004 we had three finalists).

I should add that that page is awesome and my hat's off to whoever put it together. It also has team scores and it's worth noting that it was harder to have lots of finalists in more recent years. Since 1996's teat title we have not won a gold but won the silver five times. 

Ran the numbers. What am I doing wrong here?

52-47 USA going into medal round.

65 KG - Russia (Gogaev) can score 2 more points with a bronze win. USA can't score any more.

52-49

70 KG

USA can score 1 (Green). Russia can't score any more.

74 KG

USA (Burroughs) vs Russia (Tsabolov) - either can score 1 more

52-50

97 KG

USA (Snyder) vs Russia (Sadulaev) - either can score 1 more

Worst case: USA 52-51

Even f Russia wins all of these, won't they still lose by 1? What am I missing?

Ran the numbers. What am I doing wrong here?

52-47 USA going into medal round.

65 KG - Russia (Gogaev) can score 2 more points with a bronze win. USA can't score any more.

52-49

70 KG

USA can score 1 (Green). Russia can't score any more.

74 KG

USA (Burroughs) vs Russia (Tsabolov) - either can score 1 more

52-50

97 KG

USA (Snyder) vs Russia (Sadulaev) - either can score 1 more

Worst case: USA 52-51

Even f Russia wins all of these, won't they still lose by 1? What am I missing?

Thought I saw that Russia gets 4 points at 70KG

Thought I saw that Russia gets 4 points at 70KG

Did they? Track says 0.

If that's the case, we could be in a bit of trouble. We need Russia to lose at 65, And win either of the finals vs Russia.

Or Russia gets the bronze at 65 and we win both vs Russia.

If they get Bronze at 65 (53-52 Russia) Green wins and we win one of the head to heads, the score will be tied at 54. USA will have 2 golds to Russia's 1. Isn't that the tie breaker?

Edited by Housebuye

From USA Wrestling Twitter

USA Wrestling

✔@USAWrestling

USA leads RUS 52-51 in the team race heading into tonight. We have 3 going for gold. RUS has 2 for gold, 1 for bronze. 2 head-2-head finals.

Ok. That means Russia scored 4 at 70KG.

That means we need to win one of the head to heads at least. If they win Bronze, we need Two golds at least (but 1could be from Green)

It is likely that it will come down to Snyder - Sadulaev, assuming the tie breaker is # of Golds

If I'm not mistaken, they figure out classification points from the matches wrestled. The Russian at 70 has 2 techs which would be 8(?) points. The UZB that was in the 'blood' round only won one bout by dec for 3. 

The Iranian also has 2 techs though. I would have thought he (IRI) would place ahead since both of his techs were 4-0s. But if they add up points scored it would be 25-20 Rus.

If I'm not mistaken, they figure out classification points from the matches wrestled. The Russian at 70 has 2 techs which would be 8(?) points. The UZB that was in the 'blood' round only won one bout by dec for 3.

The Iranian also has 2 techs though. I would have thought he (IRI) would place ahead since both of his techs were 4-0s. But if they add up points scored it would be 25-20 Rus.

Its placement point depending on how you finished in the field. For those that lost before the medal round it is relative when you were put out in the repachage .

Unless something has changed very recently they do not award additional points for how you won the match, just points for the final placement/ranking.

1st-10pt

2nd-9pt

2-3rd-8pt

2-5th-6pt (lost in bronze match),

7th-10th is 4pt, 3pt ,2pt ,1pt.

I believe they count back to what level of the repachage you lost in relative to the Finalist finish.

Edited by MadMardigain

It's going to be a really fun afternoon of wrestling. This is the pinnacle. Three in the finals with three tough matches. Every single one of our guys faces a former world champ. JB and Snyder have six world titles between them. Green has lots of hardware.

Snyder and Sadulaev have five world titles between then making this like Dake vs Taylor or Schultz vs Banach with the huge difference being that those guys had wrestled each other before. This ones a first.

It's going to be a really fun afternoon of wrestling. This is the pinnacle. Three in the finals with three tough matches. Every single one of our guys faces a former world champ. JB and Snyder have six world titles between them. Green has lots of hardware.

Snyder and Sadulaev have five world titles between then making this like Dake vs Taylor or Schultz vs Banach with the huge difference being that those guys had wrestled each other before. This ones a first.

This is much, much bigger than those matches

Its placement point depending on how you finished in the field. For those that lost before the medal round it is relative when you were put out in the repachage .

Unless something has changed very recently they do not award additional points for how you won the match, just points for the final placement/ranking.

1st-10pt

2nd-9pt

2-3rd-8pt

2-5th-6pt (lost in bronze match),

7th-10th is 4pt, 3pt ,2pt ,1pt.

I believe they count back to what level of the repachage you lost in relative to the Finalist finish.

I'm going back a little bit to how they had done it even in the bracket era (somewhere in the 90s). Below medal matches was classification points. I was also assuming that people here saying that the 70kg rus scored 4 was telling me something since he wasn't in the repechage. But I don't see that on Track. I also don't see any points for anyone in the repechage below medal matches. (Colombia and UZB)

Edited by gimpeltf

I'm going back a little bit to how they had done it even in the bracket era (somewhere in the 90s). Below medal matches was classification points. I was also assuming that people here saying that the 70kg rus scored 4 was telling me something since he wasn't in the repechage. But I don't see that on Track. I also don't see any points for anyone in the repechage below medal matches. (Colombia and UZB)

Usa Srestling tweeted the score. I assume they are correct. That means Russia has 4 at 70KG

Here is how they determine places 7 through 10 (Obviously, 1,2,3,3,5,5 are from the medal matches). They take all the previous matches if tge rest of the wrestlers.They are done by classification points. The winner of a bout gets 4 pts. if they tech the other guy. The loser would get 1 if they scored in the match. If they simply won by points (say 7-0), the winner would get 3 class. pts. and the loser 0 unless they scored in the bout. If they did score, then they would get 1 class. pt. Finally, if the victory is by injury, dq or fall, the winner gets 5 pts. and the loser 0. Hope that helps.