Gantry

MFS Day 2

on the subject of teams Azerbaijan has underperformed in both Juniors and seniors compared to where they've been in the past. I know a lot of their team members have not been paid because the country is having money problems as the price of oil has dropped period on the other end people always Overlook Japan. I mean their women are out of this world sick but they're men always put out a good team in both freestyle and Greco

If he's not clutch who is? he's got 5 golds in 7 competitions. That is damn consistent. How do you define clutch?

I'm saying he is not MF clutch --- Takes it to another level.  If MF clutch he wouldn't have lost in the Olympics last year by a point or two  in his first loss.    But you make a fantastic point.  I will say he is a freaking awesome.  Perhaps I'm splitting hairs.  I don't mean to take away from his glory.

Burroughs post match interview is interesting... he just won his 5th Title, and is calling Kyle Snyder the next GOAT contender... very interesting indeed, knowing that Burroughs has THAT much respect for Kyle.  This final match is gonna be a barnburner...

I'm saying he is not MF clutch --- Takes it to another level. If MF clutch he wouldn't have lost in the Olympics last year by a point or two in his first loss. But you make a fantastic point. I will say he is a freaking awesome. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs. I don't mean to take away from his glory.

Even the greats Satiev has a DNP year. And Smith lost a match in one of his gold medal runs.

Someone mentioned above a quiet hope that JB puts his shoes on the mat.  No way.  He is a freaking leader on this team and is on track to be the GOAT for USA wrestling.  Plus, he is primed to be a key leader for some amazing US Men's freestyle teams with the new weight classes.  He's a beast and we need him.

BTF - yeah, GrecoJones made a good point, if Burrough's isn't MF clutch, then who is?  I have a hard time answering that without thinking of some of the GOATs in the sport.  And that isn't quite right.  So perhaps I need to stand corrected!  :)

BTF - yeah, GrecoJones made a good point, if Burrough's isn't MF clutch, then who is?  I have a hard time answering that without thinking of some of the GOATs in the sport.  And that isn't quite right.  So perhaps I need to stand corrected!  :)

Clutch is performing above your ability, Satiev was not as much clutch, just better than everyone else.

Snyder is more clutch than JB because he beats wrestlers he has lost to at the big meets. 

JB has almost no losses.. I can think of four.

BTF - yeah, GrecoJones made a good point, if Burrough's isn't MF clutch, then who is? I have a hard time answering that without thinking of some of the GOATs in the sport. And that isn't quite right. So perhaps I need to stand corrected! :)

I think that when someone competes over so many years, this was JB's seventh appaearance at a world tournament, it's very hard to be flawless. I know of very few wrestlers who have. Fadzaev moved up and lost to Monday. Karellin lost to Gardner. Also Fadzaev lost several times to Chris Wilson from Canada though never in the worlds. Kemp took one bronze. Etc.

But Smith won every match he needed to for Gold.  That would make him even more clutch since he was best when it mattered.

Yeah, he lost to Reynoso but since he had tech'd the Unified Russian he just needed not to get tech'd or pinned. Reynoso gave Smith fits.

Jim L -- I disagree --- I think it means someone that finds ways to win in the closing stanza of the competition, consistently.  If down, you find a way to score and win.  If winning and it is close, you maintain the win.  But we are now off on a wild tangent ....